PDA

View Full Version : watchman/pistol shrimp overview

snapdragon9
10-03-2008, 12:53 AM
30 gal reef, all parameters at zero...xenia's, zoo colonies, dusters, candy canes, cabbage leathers, ricordea, and other mushroom polyps are the lot of the tank. Also about 2.5 to 3.5 inches of substrate, with plenty of liverock.

I also have many hermits, and a couple emeral crabs.

I have just purchased a juvenille watchman goby, (he's pretty tiny) and am curious as to the symbiotic relationship with the pistol shrimp. Is there any time I should get the tiger pistol, or doesn't it really matter as much to the size of the watchman. How big should the pistol get, and what is its chief diet, and temperament towards corals? Thanks a bunch...

oldhead
10-03-2008, 01:02 AM
You can add a pistol now it shouldn't make much of a difference. They'll need some time to find eachother but it won't take long. Pistols usually feed on leftovers, detritus and that sorta thing. You can also supplement their diets if you like. Just so you know the Pistol will rearrange all the sand in your tank to its liking. Mine has burrowed countless caves and sifted the sand in every direction possible, he shows no signs of slowing down. Cool to watch the Gobe follow him around like a secret service agent though,lol. Pistols are pretty peaceful and mine never bothers my corals or anyone else for that matter. Well, so long as they don't venture into the burrow or too close to the front door. I have heard that they'll eat other shrimp but mine has not bothered any of my 3 Peppermint shrimp. I think this is only a problem if they're shrimp smaller than the Pistol itself.