PDA

View Full Version : tough cat, wrong forum

concretephil
10-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I originally posted this in the cichlid forum and then realized (duh) that it was more appropriate for this one, whoops..... i've got a pair of firemouths that have bred after only 3 weeks of having them and already having trouble scouting out LFSs that are willing to take them. i keep having flash backs to the pandemonium i had a few years ago with some convicts that absolutely refused to stop breeding. i don't have the facilities to separate the pair, and in truth, i do like watching the spectacle of a pair of cichlids caring for their young, so I don't necessarily want them to stop. my question is does anybody have any suggestions of a good predator ( I'm thinking a catfish of some type maybe) that loves cichlid fry and is tough enough and willing, to earn his meal, as I prefer this method of population control as opposed to sticking the unwanted in the freezer (seems a waste if there's a fish out there that would love to have such a bountiful meal set before him) thanks for your suggestions, and sorry, in advance, if I've horrified anyone out there with my ideology.

smaug
10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
An adult pictus comes to mind,even then hes going to take a licking.

robnepper
10-06-2008, 04:29 AM
you could go grab a 2.5 gal for 10 bucks and a dwarf puffer for 4 bucks and there you have one efficient fry disposal unit. In the most compassionate sense of the term, of course.