PDA

View Full Version : is it possible...

jennfairview
10-02-2008, 08:36 PM
to somehow use a tank that has a plug in it. I'm guessing that the tank was used for reptiles of some sort. It's an 80 gallon tank that is free though, so is there some way to seal around the plug perhaps? so that I can use it for my fish.
TIA, jennifer

FordForever
10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Is it glass or acrylic?

Gayle
10-02-2008, 08:41 PM
The tanks that are made for reptiles usually are not made for holding large amounts of water. I am not sure, but I do not even think the glass is the same. Maybe you can add some extra seal to all the seams and get it to work?

jennfairview
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I honestly don't know anything about it other than this: It was offered free in a nearby town, someone else got it before I did, but since I posted that I was looking for one they emailed me saying they had wanted a 50 G for fish but that this 80 has a plug so it would leak out in day...if I can somehow seal it, then it would be wonderful for me, I mean a FREE 80 gallon tank, wow!

ETA: The tanks were all advertised and fish aquariums, so I have no idea why there was any need for a plug.
Also, a little off topic is $225 for a 55 gallon aquarium, stand, hood, filter, gravel and a few decorations a good price? In yet another close town, I could buy this package which also include a 10 gallon aquarium and a 1 1/2 gallon aquarium.

invadertoast
10-02-2008, 09:05 PM
If it has a plug in the bottom I'd stay away from it. I had a 20L and a 40 breeder that I used for reptiles and they both had plugs in the bottom and warnings about not filling the tank with water. Both of mine came with built in sliding screen tops though, does the hole look home-made maybe? Anyway, in those tanks I think either the glass is thinner, or the seals are not the same as an actual aquarium. Either way I wouldn't risk it (especially with a tank that large.)

cocoa_pleco
10-03-2008, 06:13 AM
you can plug the hole with a plug, they make them. chances are that tank was saltwater before.

check the silicone seal before filling the tank. also, that price for the 55g kit is a bit much, a new 55g kit is $200 and you can get a used stand for $30-$50 or build your own stand for about $50

jennfairview
10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to pick up the 80 gallon, I'll set it up outside and see what happens after i re-seal it. If I'm not able to use it, I have a friend with a high maintenance turtle that can use it.
Thanks! ~Jennifer

cocoa_pleco
10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
one other thing that i forgot to mention is you can get a piece of glass and silicone it over the plug