PDA

View Full Version : Sand or Gravel?

domjd05
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the benefits of using sand in a freshwater tank.. I've read it's not a good substrate for freshwater... you obviously couldnt vacuum your tank with a syphon... how would you clean the bottom of the tank?

Is it better than gravel and I'm just missing the big picture?:11:

fins_n_fur
10-02-2008, 08:23 PM
The great thing about sand is that is compacts a bit and all the debris, poo, etc. just settles on the top and doesn't go into the sand. You only need hold your siphon just above the substrate and vacuum the detritus up. Very easy to clean. The only thing you would to do is turn the sand or stir it gently from time to time.

Gayle
10-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I really want to do both sand and gravel. I think sand looks really cool! I have not used it yet. But from all that I have read about it, it is pretty easy to keep clean. Just be careful what sort of sand you use. I do not think you are supposed to use play sand.

Fishguy2727
10-03-2008, 01:50 AM
And if you have enough flow in the tank the debris will keep moving until the filter grabs it.

There is a whole article on sand in my blog.

It is cleaner, more natural, and I think looks much better.

GeneralGoldeneye
10-03-2008, 03:23 AM
If your not careful the sand will destroy you impeller in your filter I already had to replace one a few weeks after I put sand in

Fishguy2727
10-03-2008, 12:40 PM
How close was the impeller to the sand?
What kind of sand did you use?

Mvjnz
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Sand is definitely better than gravel. Not only does it look more natural and is easy to clean, but it means you can get bottom dwellers with a good conscience, because the natural habitat for a lot of them has sand, not gravel, and so they are adapted to live on sand. Such as cories which like to dig in, and loaches.

Not all fish like gravel, but they all like sand.

GeneralGoldeneye
10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
How close was the impeller to the sand?
What kind of sand did you use?

its not that close it sits in the middle of the tank. I had it running while I was adding the sand was my problem. My hap yesterday was trying to destroy it again he was diging around and making a sand storm in the water kicking it right twords my filter. enough said this is not my thread.

mujacko2002
10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Mabuhay!

Mine is a combination of soil and river-sand. :19:

Sir Tristen
10-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I put sand in my new aquarium and just started cycling it, but even with the outflow from my Aquaclear 70 digging a hole in the bottom and stirring the sand up a bit it sinks quickly and looks nice. My intake is a few inches above the sand and hasn't sucked anything up. I used regular silica sand, 20 grit, the stuff used for pool filters and sand blasting I think. So far it looks nice and hasn't been an issue. If you like the look, I think sand is fine, and it's cheap. Just my .02c

Either sand or gravel will be fine, depending on what you like and what you want. :hmm3grin2orange:

bushwhacker
10-18-2008, 04:59 PM
my 75 and my 55 are both sand, quikcrete playsand
to me the benefits are the sand compacts and helps to hold the plants down
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n438/bushwhacker_01/10-17-08018.jpg

Algenco
10-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Grade 20 pool sand has a bit larger grain than playsand and doesn't cause a mess/cloud when stirred up

soFISHticated lady
10-19-2008, 03:10 AM
I was wondering if there were any sands that are naturally black, that can be used in the tank instead of tan colored sand. ?

Mvjnz
10-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm using play sand and it's fine. I have malaysian trumpet snails in there to help stir it all up.

I don't know why people say to not use play sand. If it's stirred up it settles nearly instantly.

Kula
10-22-2008, 05:02 AM
I use Estes Marine Sand. It's great (though somewhat expensive), and comes in many different colors - including black. When stirred up, it falls right back into place, just like gravel! I actually have sand, gravel (Flourite), and small rocks in one of my tanks. Another tank is Flourite and small rocks, and the other tank is sand and small rocks. I don't like using just one type of substrate >_>

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a couple tanks with sand and a couple with gravel. Depends on what I have in the tank. I use playsand as it's said to be already sterilized for kids play area's. I can not get pool filter sand in my area or would have gotten that but playsand is OK in a pinch. 100 pounds for $7 fits my budget. LOL

Home Depot has a very, white fine-grained sand here that I was tempted to get but the guy working there said it's silica. All sand contains silica so I didn't know what to do about that so just stuck with the playsand.

Can anyone answer this? I read that sandblasting sand contains ground glass. Is this true? I can't see that being very good for bottom dwellers so looking for confirmation here.

Fishguy2727
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Kula:
How much did you pay per 5 pound bag of Estes' Marine Sand? I am just trying to get an idea of how it is priced most places. The LFS I work at sells it for $3.99.

Glass is silica, so it would not surprise me if they used it for sandblasting. I wonder exactly how though (leftover unusable recycled glass, only 1/10% of the weight of the sandblasting sand, etc.). Either way I am sticking with Estes'. Yes another reason I would be hesitant to use something else if I couldn't get Estes'.

Mvjnz
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I know lots of people with cories who use sandblasting sand. Maybe some types have crushed glass in them, but prolly not all of them.

kazinvan
10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm setting up a new 55 gallon shortly and considering sand as an option. Any negatives? Any problems with snails, specifically apple snails? As was mentioned, you don't siphon the sand, right. Any special cleaning needed?

Thanks.

Fishguy2727
10-22-2008, 08:23 PM

Snails are fine.
I have not had any issues with sand, much better than gravel.
If you do not have enough flow and debris settles on the sand just use the vacuum to suck it out by holding the vacuum above the debris.

kazinvan
10-22-2008, 08:52 PM

Snails are fine.
I have not had any issues with sand, much better than gravel.
If you do not have enough flow and debris settles on the sand just use the vacuum to suck it out by holding the vacuum above the debris.

I just read almost every post in your blog, thanks! Looks like I'll give sand a try, I do like the look of it and want to try something different. I'll be back with more questions later I'm sure :)

kazinvan
10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
One more question. How do plants to in sand? I'm assuming that as a substrate it's not great for nutrients. I suppose it's no worse than gravel. From what I read sand holds the plants better than gravel, which makes sense but how do plants grow in sand bottom aquariums? Should anything be added to it or just leave it as is?

Fishguy2727
10-22-2008, 10:25 PM
There are pics in my Photobucket page of my tanks. All are not on sand and planted. The plants do very well. There are a few sands and sand-sized substrates for plants, but I have heard they are a lot of cleaning, light, etc. so I am sticking with the Estes'. To help with nutrients in the substrate I add Flourish Tabs.

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Kula:
How much did you pay per 5 pound bag of Estes' Marine Sand? I am just trying to get an idea of how it is priced most places. The LFS I work at sells it for $3.99.

Glass is silica, so it would not surprise me if they used it for sandblasting. I wonder exactly how though (leftover unusable recycled glass, only 1/10% of the weight of the sandblasting sand, etc.). Either way I am sticking with Estes'. Yes another reason I would be hesitant to use something else if I couldn't get Estes'.

Finally saw your post here about the sandblasting sand. Thanks

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 06:02 PM
You have some nice tanks FishGuy!:c3:
Loads of pics :19:

s72450
10-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I am in the process of cyling a 29g that I used pool filter sand on and I think it's just beautiful to look at. I'm very impressed with the sand thus far.

bushwhacker
10-26-2008, 10:06 PM
sand is the only way to go

Fishguy2727
10-27-2008, 02:50 AM
sand is the only way to go

Exactly. I have said it before: I think in 10-20 years gravel will be looked at like UGFs, old-school and not the best option.