PDA

View Full Version : Do Kribs do better with a little salt?

Kathyd
10-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm coming across some conflicting information. What do the people who have them think?

mrs fishpatrick
10-02-2008, 09:46 PM
I have 4 and don't use salt because of my plants.
They originate from coastal rivers in nigeria, i don't know is there salt in their water in their natural habitat.

Stupid question maybe but what do you want them to do better?

mrs fishpatrick
10-02-2008, 09:47 PM
btw does this mean you found some?

concretephil
10-02-2008, 10:16 PM
i have had a pair for about 5 months now and they have bred twice. I use about a table spoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons in my tank. as already stated they naturally occur in the coastal area of the niger river, where the waters rage from acidic black water, to hard, alkaline and even brackish. if fact they come from such a range of water conditions that it's hard to find info on any one specific biotope for them. add that to the fact that yours were most likely captive bred and have no idea what the niger river is like, it comes down to wether the other fish in your aquarium would appreciate the salt or not. anyway, to make a short answer long :), yes salt is fine for your kribs

concretephil
10-02-2008, 10:19 PM
also, on a side note, they also do better with some type of dither fish to bring them out more and encourage their natural behavior ( i use zebra danios)

sanddigger
10-03-2008, 04:12 AM
I have found kribs do better in FW over BW. Adding Aquarium salt is a preference and does nothing to enhance cichlids, salt (aquarium) is added for for medical reasons. Once you have stability in water quality, fish, and surroundings and do regular WC, don't over stock, over feed, your swimmers will do fine.

Kathyd
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
One book said that their color comes out better if you add salt. I haven't found any yet, just gathering all the info I can before buying.

So I guess I just have to see what my other fish would like. Thanks for the advice.