PDA

View Full Version : Travie's Saltwater Tank(s)

Pages : [1] 2

travie
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I have been in the process of acquiring the equipment for a saltwater tank over the past month. I finally started to set it up yesterday. It is going to start out as a 10 gallon tank. Then eventually go to a 29 gallon or 55 gallon with the 10 remaining to be a salt mixing, QT, and hospital tank.

Equipment:
Around 17 pounds of live rock
100 watt Hydro Heater
RO water
Coralife Marine Salt(Will probably change to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt)
Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand
No Protein Skimmer for now(Will get one eventually)
Maxi-Jet 900 Powerhead(Will get Hydro Koralia wavemaker eventually)

Plans for Livestock in the 10 gallon:
Goby of some kind
Snails
Hermit Crabs

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2603.jpg

Tonight I plan to get the tank full of saltwater. Get it to the desirable salinity and get the temperature set where I would like.

Please offer suggestions and comments as I go along.

oldhead
10-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Looking good so far. Nice to see so many SW tanks popping up on here lately. You're off to a good start just remember to take things slowly as you set up. It'll pay off plenty in the long run. Post lots of pictures in this thread too, people here love that. Keeping any corals or fish only?

Lowflyer
10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey hey, I agree, good start.

As oldhead said, take it slow, nothing good in marines ever happens quickly. Just make sure to make regular water changes since you don't have a sump or a skimmer, I'd say 20% per week should do. Otherwise looking good. And what lighting are you planning on puttin in? Corals like and need good light.

Another fish you could consider is a blenny, maybe a bicolor blenny, they're very cool fish.

travie
10-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Looking good so far. Nice to see so many SW tanks popping up on here lately. You're off to a good start just remember to take things slowly as you set up. It'll pay off plenty in the long run. Post lots of pictures in this thread too, people here love that. Keeping any corals or fish only?

It is going to start out FOWLR. Eventually, I may go with corals.

As oldhead said, take it slow, nothing good in marines ever happens quickly. Just make sure to make regular water changes since you don't have a sump or a skimmer, I'd say 20% per week should do. Otherwise looking good. And what lighting are you planning on puttin in? Corals like and need good light.

Another fish you could consider is a blenny, maybe a bicolor blenny, they're very cool fish.

Its a power compact light. Its a 65 watt bulb that is 50/50.

I'll plan to post another picture tonight with the the tank light on. My powerhead is way too big for my tank as you will see in the picture. I'll have to look into getting a smaller one real soon.

travie
10-03-2008, 03:09 AM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2605.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2606.jpg

Pretty much the same pictures. I told you the powerhead was too big for my tank. By Christmas, I'll attempt to upgrade to Koralia wavemakers. I will lower my heater down once I get the temperature set.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-03-2008, 03:13 AM
If you took that "wave maker" off the end of the powerhead you'd be a lot better off. They really don't help that much. You could run the MaxiJet just as it is without that thing and it would do just fine, just move it to the back and point it at the front glass.

travie
10-03-2008, 03:39 AM
If you took that "wave maker" off the end of the powerhead you'd be a lot better off. They really don't help that much. You could run the MaxiJet just as it is without that thing and it would do just fine, just move it to the back and point it at the front glass.

Took your suggestion. Tank looks a lot bigger. I need to invest in a cover for the tank asap. I'm thinking all glass. Still in the process of getting my salinity to the right level and the temperature to the right degree. I still need to add sand. I'll get to that later when I have nothing to do like work or school or leave town.

Lowflyer
10-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Looking good, glad you took the advice on the powerhead though, that wavemaker thing on the powerhead is huge. You could also look at the SEIO range of powerheads, they're nice and compact. Look at the Seio M250

Lowflyer
10-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's a link to see the specs of the seio pumps

http://www.aquatictech.com/seio.html

travie
10-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Looking good, glad you took the advice on the powerhead though, that wavemaker thing on the powerhead is huge. You could also look at the SEIO range of powerheads, they're nice and compact. Look at the Seio M250

I'll look into them, but the Koralias are the ones I have my eye on as of now.

I finally have added all my salt to the tank, and the tank was 1.023 to 1.025. I'm using a hydrometer, so its hard to be exact. I'll recheck it in the morning to see what is then.

Would 20 pounds of live sand be too much for a 10g?

An updated picture with the powerhead moved:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2609.jpg

cocoa_pleco
10-04-2008, 04:43 AM
20lbs would be alright

one thing i would personally do is move the piece of rock at the back right, it looks unnatural standing up. the one on the left looks good though

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-04-2008, 06:28 AM
I'll look into them, but the Koralias are the ones I have my eye on as of now.

You do realize just how for those stick out from the glass right? They are not small powerheads.

travie
10-04-2008, 12:56 PM
You do realize just how for those stick out from the glass right? They are not small powerheads.

Even the nano Koralia is that big?

If that is the case, whatever powerhead/wavemaker I upgrade to it will not use suction cups. I'm currently having a problem keeping the MaxiJet attached to the glass. I'm adding live sand today, so hopefully in 3 to 4 weeks, I will be adding a hermit or snail.

Well, I took the risk knowing this would happen. I didn't rinse the sand out. It is a cloudy mess. I was smart enough to turn the powerhead off while I added it. As soon as the cloudiness settles, there will be another picture.

Gayle
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I think it looks really good so far!

kaybee
10-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Koralia Nano
Length: 2.5"

Koralia 1
Length = 3"

Koralia 2
Length = 4"

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Does that include the mount and the swivel arm or is that just the powerhead?

kaybee
10-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Just the main body.

With the mount and protective grid-thing (or total length when using everything included), the Koralia 1 measures out to 5".

travie
10-04-2008, 02:17 PM
At this point, as long as it doesn't stick out any farther then my MaxiJet and doesn't use suction cups, it is an upgrade. The suction cups are working for... nothing.

Lowflyer
10-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I know I'm shouting the praises of the SEIO range, but they are very compact and you can get them with magnetic braces. So no suction cups

Lowflyer
10-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Magnetic holders for the seio

http://riopump.net/images/magnet%20mount/magnet_mount_enlarge.jpg

SEIO M250
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/images/Seio/seio_pump.gif

xximanoobxx
10-04-2008, 04:42 PM
the magnets cost so much more tho... With the koralias, it already comes with the magnet stuff, so it's all worth it...
But Seios are good. Really high output....

Lowflyer
10-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, didn't know that

travie
10-06-2008, 02:00 AM
I found a cheaper alternative then getting a new powerhead/wavemaker. I just need to double check if it is SW tank safe. Its a simple plastic clamp. Here is a link. (http://irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100022) Let me know if you think it is safe.

The tank isn't as cloudy 24 hours later, but it is nowhere near cleared up.

xximanoobxx
10-06-2008, 02:31 AM
it would look ugly

travie
10-06-2008, 02:41 AM
it would look ugly

I'm pretty sure that I didn't ask how it would look, and the light fixture on the tank will hide pretty much all of the clamp. I was just wondering if the clamp would be SW aquarium safe.

cocoa_pleco
10-06-2008, 03:20 AM
as long as there are no metal parts, and only plastic is submerged, its fine

Lowflyer
10-06-2008, 04:16 AM
For clearing up the water, maybe try running a small powerhead with a piece of pipe into a funnel with some filter floss in and back into the tank.

xximanoobxx
10-06-2008, 04:18 AM
And i guess it would work...

travie
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
The tank is clearing nicely on its own. Give it another 24 to 48 hours and it will be ready for another picture for you guys and gals. It looks like I'm going to have a very, very deep sand bed, but I still need to level it out somewhat. The clamp doesn't appear to have any metal in the water, and very little of the clamp is in the water anyway.

gem
10-06-2008, 11:47 PM
A Koralia Nano would take up less room in the tank than a Maxijet. And IMO is perfect for a 10 gal. Koralia will also break up the flow a bit so you don't have one quick jet stream like with the maxi. Just put it in a back corner pointed toward a front corner and slightly upward. :c2:

travie
10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Would a Koralia 1 be too much for a 10 gallon tank?

cocoa_pleco
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
nope, not at all

travie
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Well I just went out and bought a lid for the tank finally. Its an all glass lid. I also bought a Koralia 1. I was just browsing their SW livestock selection. When the time comes, it looks like I will be getting a Peppermint Shrimp. Cheapest shrimp they had and it will help keep the tank clean. I believe the Peppermint Shrimp will be fine in my tank, but let me know if I am mistaken.

Tonight I'm going to prepare some saltwater for my first water change then do the actual water change tomorrow to help with the cloudiness. If that doesn't help, I'll do what Lowflyer suggested.

travie
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
The tank was much more clear today after I came home from school. What is the best position to have my Koralia 1 in my tank? It will be in the back left corner as you are looking at the tank.

travie
10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
What is the best way to tell if the liquid testing kits are outdated and no longer reliable? I received an API liquid test kit when I bought all my SW stuff. Hopefully, I'll post pictures tonight or hopefully by Friday.

Northernguy
10-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Can't wait to see some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:c3:

travie
10-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Picture Time! It is still a little cloudy. I didn't get around to mixing up water, so I didn't do a water change. I laid the LR on the back right corner on the LR in front of it, which now looks a lot better. I told you guys/gals that I will have a deep, deep sand bed.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2637.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2638.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2641.jpg

gem
10-09-2008, 12:39 AM
I would position that Koralia on the side pain of glass toward the back and point it catty corner toward the front oposite corner and slightly upward. You'll get better flow throughout the tank.

oldhead
10-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Sweet! Always enjoyable to watch tanks being set up.GLHF

xximanoobxx
10-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Ur tank is pretty chill... Can't wait to set up one...

travie
10-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Then the tank was clear... I should probably test the water for the first time sometime soon.

Clear FTS:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2642.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2643.jpg

travie
10-10-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't think I am going to put any fish in my 10g. I'll probably put a snail or two, a hermit or two, and possibly a shrimp. But my thoughts on a goby could change way later, once I get the hang of maintenance on the 10g. Corals are likely, but not sure how long down the road.

oldhead
10-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Looking pretty good, makes me want to start another smaller tank when I see these. What kind of Goby would you be considering?

travie
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Looking pretty good, makes me want to start another smaller tank when I see these. What kind of Goby would you be considering?

Here is my order for gobies in a 10g: Neon Blue Goby, Yellow Watchman Goby, and then some color form of a Clown Goby. But its very unlikely for me to get a goby for a 10g now. The tank just looks to small to house a goby. When I upgrade to a 29g or bigger, I'll definitely get a watchmen or a clown goby.

travie
10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Tested the water finally. Had some ammonia readings, no nitrite readings, and some nitrate readings. Weird about the readings, but I need to go buy a new test kit. I don't trust the one that I do have. I am getting algae growth on some of the rock, which is a good sign to me.

xximanoobxx
10-15-2008, 01:53 AM
any updates???

travie
10-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Since you asked, I'll give a little update.

I'm definitely going to ask for a refractometer for Christmas, I'm want the more accurate reading for salt content.

For water changes and adding water due to evaporation, I think I will run a small HOB filter on the tank with no media. I will add the new water into the filter. I figure this will be the best option to not hurt future livestock.

I'm getting a lot more brown hair algae growth. I'm assuming just part of the cycle, and I should let it go.

I still haven' done a water change on the tank yet. Pictures next time I post an update.

travie
10-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I suppose pictures are in order for this post:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2658.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2657.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2656.jpg

I decided to add another piece of LR to the tank. I wanted to have it in there from the beginning, but thought that it would be too much. Changed my mind. The LR is starting to gain some good color. I tried to show it in the first two pictures.

Temperature is reading 84 with the current heater on the lowest setting. Currently it is a 100 watt heater. I'm figuring I will switch it to a 50 watt heater very soon.

For water changes and adding water due to evaporation, I think I will run a small HOB filter on the tank with no media. I will add the new water into the filter. I figure this will be the best option to not hurt future livestock. Good idea?

travie
10-16-2008, 09:45 PM
i made the mistake of going to LFS, and of course its the day they get fish in. I saw a beautiful looking Royal Gamma. After seeing that little guy, I will get one for my 10g down the road, but no goby if I go this route. There is a chance I might switch over to a 20g for a SW then the current 10g until I have an empty 29g. If the ammonia and nitrites are at zero, I might get a hermit or a snail this weekend for the tank. I still have some unanswered questions in previous posts, I hope to get a comment on them.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I personally would not recommend a Royal Gramma for a 10gal tank. Royal Grammas really should have nothing less than a 20-30gal tank. They are not extremely active fish but they are very territorial and they do get 3-4" long.

travie
10-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I personally would not recommend a Royal Gramma for a 10gal tank. Royal Grammas really should have nothing less than a 20-30gal tank. They are not extremely active fish but they are very territorial and they do get 3-4" long.

Well, I guess as soon as I upgrade tanks and get that one matured/cycled, I will get a Royal Gramma for that tank. Thank you ILMGB.

I tested the water today. Ammonia looks to be 0. Nitrite looks to be 0. Nitrate looks to be 5 or less. pH looks to be anywhere from 7.8 to 8.2. Specific gravity is a little high at 1.025. I need to work to get it on the lower end of the acceptable range for SG to stay safe with evaporation.

I guess, there is a small chance I will get a snail or hermit for the tank today. I'm still not sure which snail to get eventually, at least. Which snail would be the best for a 10g?

travie
10-19-2008, 03:41 AM
I did it! I purchased my first fish/invert/coral for my 10g tank. I bought a blue leg hermit. He is a tiny little thing. My parents took the camera with them on vacation, so hopefully, tomorrow night I will get pictures of the hermit.

I won't be getting any more livestock till, I can safely do top offs and water changes to keep my little hermit crab alive. Any suggestions on which snail would be better for my tank: astraea or cerith? Or one of each?

I saw a clown goby this visit. When I saw it, I knew if I was more experienced and ready for fish that it would be capable of going in a 10g. But I realize I'm not ready to get fish yet. The next step will be a snail and after that, I'll see where I'm at.

Pictures hopefully tomorrow night. If not, Monday night for sure, unless the camera is broke for some reason.

AABatteries
10-19-2008, 03:54 AM
I would actually get a clown goby for the 10g.

xximanoobxx
10-19-2008, 07:20 AM
be careful with the clown goby though, they tend to be malnourished when they sell them. Make sure before u purchase ur clown goby, ask if it's ok to feed them and whichever goby eats the food first, then get that. that's prolly gonna be the healthies goby in the tank...

travie
10-19-2008, 06:56 PM
It will be awhile before I get a fish of any kind. The hermit has made it through the night. Anybody know of a link to a good article on blue leg hermits?

I'm starting to get green hair algae growth now. What is the best position to point my wavemaker?

travie
10-20-2008, 02:35 AM
Bad news:
My camera does not take even remotely okay pictures of tiny animals. So bad not even worth showing.

Good news:
It can take a good FTS of a SW tank.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/100_2676pointer.jpg

Questions:
What kind of snail should I add to my tank: cerith or astraea?
Which is the better quality brand of protein skimmer: SeaClone or Coralife?
Anybody know of places online to buy auto top off units for cheap?

Updates:
I had to put the light on stand, because I finally realize it was heating up the water.
I'm starting to get green hair algea growth all over the tank. Green looks much better then brown.

Thank you for reading the journal so far.
I leave this post with: Go Green Bay Packers!

travie
10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Hopefully purchased an astraea snail for the tank today. I say that because it was labeled that way. Here are two pictures of it. If some one could confirm that it is an astraea, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be looking into getting a snail that digs into the sand within the next couple of days. A cerith snail would be my best option, please correct me if I'm wrong/misinformed.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/101_2682.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/101_2679.jpg

Halelorf
10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Hard to tell if that is a astrea snail. If you are looking for a sand sifting snail then the nassarius snaill would be one of your top choices. Ceriths will munch on top in the sand but nassarius will actually dig into the sand bed. Or a sand sifter star might be a good alternative.

kaybee
10-21-2008, 11:43 PM
It doesn't look like an astrea. Their shells are sand colored and more conical. I'm not sure what type of snail that is though.

travie
10-22-2008, 12:07 AM
I started to look up snails, and it might be a Margarita Snail.

travie
10-22-2008, 10:38 PM
I picked up two nassarius snails today. The moment they landed on the sand, they quickly buried themselves.

Current stocking:
1 Blue Leg Hermit Crab
1 Margarita Snail
2 Nassarius Snails

I can't think of anything else that I should add. Any suggestions on what else I should have? I will probably get another blue leg hermit sometime soon. Since this is only a 10g, I'm trying to not overstock.

From what I have been reading, my Margarita snail will not have a long life in my tank, since it comes from cooler waters. I will let it live out its life in my tank, then obtain either an Astrea or Turbo snail.

travie
10-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Bought another Blue Leg Hermit today. I believe I am done with my clean up crew unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Stocking is:
2 Blue Leg Hermits
2 Nassarius Snails
1 Margarita Snail

travie
10-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I officially do not know what to do fish-wise for my 10g...

I don't want to get a Neon Goby, because it will be too small when I upgrade tank sizes. A clown goby is no longer desirable, because they are picky eaters from what I've read in Fishguy2727's thread with them. Yellow Watchman Gobies on AC have not been recommended for a 10g.

So I don't know what to do...

gem
10-25-2008, 02:47 PM
A few purple firefish would be a good choice.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=244&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

Very colorful and hearty fish!

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2008, 04:07 PM
A few purple firefish

arent they like regular firefish and can only be kept singly or in a breeding pair else they fight?

travie
10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I think I'm just going to get a Yellow Watchman Goby. They stay small (only 3 inches) enough were it will be able to live in a 10g for awhile. The 10g won't be a permanent home for the guy.

At one of my LFS they have single mushrooms for $5. I'm wondering if it could be fine in my 10g and what its scientific name is. Here is a bad picture from my phone. They didn't have what kind it was labeled, and the last time I went in, their fish guys were not in.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

Thanks for reading.

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2008, 06:17 PM
dont know the scientific name, but hes fine in your 10g

kaybee
10-25-2008, 08:59 PM
The genus of the common mushroom is Actinodiscus. I'm not sure if the they've universally worked it down to the species level (at least officially); mostly they're just called 'mushrooms', or I guess, Acitinodiscus sp. .

Halelorf
10-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Yea, I believe most corals are near impossible to classify down to species level without looking at the structure under a microscope. Those will be fine in your tank.

travie
10-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I was just wondering so that way I would be able to look up info on it and do my own research. I believe I'm going to go to my LFS today to get one, and possible a YWG. Just hope they have one and that I actually go today.

travie
10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
I bought a mushroom the other day. It seems to be doing fine. I didn't get a yellow watchman goby. Maybe this weekend if one of my LFS have one. I'll attempt to post decent looking pictures this weekend. I have green hair algae growing out the wazoo. Just another stage in the algae cycle.

kaybee
10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Try manually removing the hair algae if possible. As water quality improves, there will be algae die-off, as that occurs, they dead/dying algae releases the nutrients back into the system to full the algae that's still living (and can semi-sustain the continuation or perpetuate the existance of algae in the tank). Manual removal will help speed up the demise of nuisance algae.

travie
10-31-2008, 02:33 AM
Good possibility of upgrading my 10g SW to a 29g SW. Which will put a hold on getting the Yellow Watchman Goby for now. The switch will only happen if my FW in the 29g are good to move into a 20g.

travie
11-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I will be moving my FW 29g down to a 20g, and then I will eventually put my 10g SW into the 29g. Today I went out and bought a lid for the 29g now that it will be a SW, 5 blue leg hermit crabs, 1 nassarius snail, and 1 astrea snail(that I think is actually a Turbo snail).

Tonight my goal is to get my 29g switched to the 20g. Tonight will be fun.

travie
11-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Picture for those of you that like pictures, which equals all of you.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/Saltwater%20Pictures/101_2720.jpg

I have completely have everything from 29g moved down to my 20g now. Tomorrow I will clean the 29g and get it ready for SW. So maybe, if I work a lot, I will have rock placed in the 29g. Then just 5 more trips to my local Wal-Mart for RO water to fill the tank up.

Halelorf
11-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Looks like your tank is well on into it's hair algae stage :19:. Good luck with moving to the 29.

travie
11-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I have too many pieces of small rock to aquascape my 29g. I can't get a look that I like. I'm going to get it at least half full of water then rearrange more to my likely. I'll post pictures of it later tonight, hopefully. Any tips on placing the rock to look its best?

travie
11-03-2008, 12:13 AM
My 29g is up and running. I have it almost full of water, have added salt, and rock. I will have a Koralia 1 on the 29g once I move the 10g into it. So what Koralia along with the Koralia 1, should I have running on my 29g?

cocoa_pleco
11-03-2008, 01:39 AM
i'd get a koralia 3 also

labnjab
11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
I have 2 2's on my 29, It doesn't seem to be to much, but I don't have any fish yet and that will be the real test.

travie
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Thank you two for your thoughts.

I have an idea to setup a DIY refugium. Let me know if this idea will work. I will put an overflow box on my tank. I won't have the overflow running, so then the container in the tank will hold water. I can put some sand, LR rubble, and chaeto, into the container also. Sound like a good plan? I'll post pictures of the 29g later tonight. Thanks again.

Cameron
11-04-2008, 12:56 AM
everything looks pretty good so far, im defiantly gonna watch this one!

Tigerbarb
11-04-2008, 01:14 AM
So... you mean that you'll put the refugium inside the tank? I'd have some sort of powerhead/pump forcing the water through, but other than that, the idea sounds like it would work very well.

cocoa_pleco
11-04-2008, 01:28 AM
in-tank fuges are a good option and you dont need to really work hard on plumbing

travie
11-04-2008, 01:38 AM
My plan involves doing no plumbing or anything at all really. It just includes putting an overflow box onto/into the tank and allowing water to pass through the holes in the box. The sipon would not be running on the box. Water movement would just come from the movement within the tank from the powerheads.

travie
11-04-2008, 02:08 AM
To elaborate further on my refugium idea, the water would pass in and out of the slots that the water would normally drain in to and nothing else would be done to the setup of the refugium. I forgot pictures post the latest setup of the 29g. Disregard the powerhead placement, because they are just their for current. Once I get the Koralia 3, they will be replaced.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/101_2722.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/101_2723.jpg

travie
11-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I won't follow through with my refugium plan. I will keep looking for cheap alternatives to making one. I don't want to go out and buy a relatively cheap AC HOB to make into a refugium. My goal is to not buy anything new besides chaeto for a refugium at this point. I have an AquaTech HOB that could work. Its not as big, but it could work.

Time for me to start thinking about future stocking. I'll list my dream stocking and go from there.

Dream stocking:
2 Ocellaris Clowns (The plan would be to try to get a male and female.)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp
and assorted CUC

If my dream stocking would actually work in my 29g tank, let me know.

oldhead
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I won't follow through with my refugium plan. I will keep looking for cheap alternatives to making one. I don't want to go out and buy a relatively cheap AC HOB to make into a refugium. My goal is to not buy anything new besides chaeto for a refugium at this point. I have an AquaTech HOB that could work. Its not as big, but it could work.

Time for me to start thinking about future stocking. I'll list my dream stocking and go from there.

Dream stocking:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp
and assorted CUC

If my dream stocking would actually work in my 29g tank, let me know.

Use the old HOB it should work just fine and is better than nothing at all as some would say about cheap skimmers. You're stocking plans sound like they should be ok. Purchase the clowns in a pair if you can.

travie
11-06-2008, 12:37 AM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/101_2749.jpg

Latest picture of the 29g. I still need to upgrade the powerheads. They are both MaxiJet 900s. They are just there to get flow until I get a Koralia 3. I still need to buy some live sand. Everything from my 10g will move over, live rock, live sand, CUC, Koralia, and light.

Future stocking (hopefully):
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp
and assorted CUC

travie
11-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Just a quick update.

I've added 30 pounds of sand to the tank. I discovered it wasn't live sand, but it is aragonite sand. All will be fine with the sand. Aragamax Sand (http://www.caribsea.com/pages/buy_it/dryaragonite/buy_sugarsizesand.html) is the brand. I've added the two big pieces of LR from my 10g into the 29g, what rubble was in the 10g, and a few handfuls of sand from the 10g. Are all salt mixes the same, or is one better then the rest? I'll post pictures later tonight if someone asks for them:c5:

Things I need to get:
Koralia 3
Salt Mix
Frozen Food(when fish are obtained)

Things I want:
Refractometer
Fish

travie
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I have a Koralia 3 ordered, which should be here in a week or so. I haven't tested the water, so I don't know where I am at with the cycle. I keep adding sand from my 10g. The cycle shouldn't take too long then. I've been rethinking the stocking list I had planned. I've added other options to the list, now I just need to narrow it down to the fish I'll actually get when the time comes.

Here are the fish being considered:
2 Ocellaris Clowns(Pretty much a must)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Longnose Hawkfish
2 Banggai Cardinals(Only if I can determine gender, to get male and female)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
and assort CUC

I'll just need to research(I haven't researched yet) and get opinions on what would be best.

travie
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I've altered my stocking list plan for the 29g. Opinions are welcomed and will be considered.

Stocking list in order to be introduced:

Assort Snails(Hermits and cleaner shrimp if no Hawk)
5 Pajama Cardinals
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Scarlet Hawk(Maybe not, so I could get a better CUC)

I will post pictures of the tank Wednesday. I'm still cycling it, so no livestock will be present.

Travis

kaybee
11-11-2008, 05:34 PM
...Are all salt mixes the same...?

They're not the same, some have different alkalinity levels, different concentrations of calcium and trace elements, etc. Some salt mixes are designed specifically for reef tanks.

travie
11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
I received my Koralia 3 in the mail today. What would be the ideal position to place it in my 29g? I currently have it in the right front corner, facing towards the back left corner. Any suggestions? Pictures to come once I get the powerhead placed ideally.

coachfraley
11-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't think there is an ideal spot, because it depends on your rock formation, and where your corals are. I would just move it around until you don't have any dead spots in the tank. Once you put corals in, you will probably have to re-adjust to suit their needs.

travie
11-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Picture time!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/101_2762.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/101_2763.jpg

I still have 3 more pieces of LR to add from my 10g and the rest of the sand from the 10g. I still haven't tested the water, so I'm going to say its still a good 2 to 3 weeks until I start adding a CUC. The water is cloudy from moving the powerheads around and adding some sand to the tank.

Planned stocking list in order to be introduced(still subject to change):
Assort Snails(Hermits and cleaner shrimp if no Hawk)
5 Pajama Cardinals
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Scarlet Hawk(Maybe not, so I could get a better CUC)

Please feel free to leave opinions. :14:

travie

cocoa_pleco
11-13-2008, 12:26 AM
pajama's get 3", and 5 3" fish plus the others might be a bit much in a 29g (i like to see pajamas in at least a 40g breeder). any thoughts on replacing the cardinals with a different fish like a yellow watchman goby or something like that?

travie
11-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Stocking list is still underconstruction. So the 5 pajamas may or may not make it just by the number I would add. The hawk fish probably will not make it due to it eating a CUC. I just tested my water: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate about 5. So I think, I'm going to add the CUC from my 10g into the 29g tonight. I'll start acclimating them soon.

travie
11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
My 10g has now been emptied into the 29g. The 10g will only be used for a QT tank now. I've realized 50 lbs of sand is way too much sand for a 29g tank. I'm going to add it all to my 29g, mainly because of bacteria content I know it has. Then later once the bacteria has definitely spread throughout the 29g, move about 10 lbs worth back to the 10g when QT'ing.

For a CUC should I focus more on snails or hermit crabs? I plan to increase one of their numbers today. For actual fish stocking, 2 Ocellaris Clowns and 1 Royal Gramma are definitely going into the tank along with at least one other fish to still be finalized.

labnjab
11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
So far in muy 29 I have 13 blue legged hermits, 6 astrea snails and 1 mexican turbo snail. I will be increasing the crabs to around 20 total soon, and maybe 10-15 total snails (although I haven't decided which type of snails yet)

travie
11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
I didn't get anymore additions to the CUC. I should be adding to it in the next2 weekends. I still haven't added all the sand from the 10g. I need to figure out how to get more sand in the back of the tank, because the LR is blocking the easiest way of getting more sand in the back. The front sand bed is very deep, but the back is only around as half as deep.

Updated Planned Stocking:
CUC(blue leg hermit crabs, assorted snails, and cleaner shrimp)
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
*Still possibly addition of another fish, not sure though.

travie
11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
A couple of updates on the tank.

Added to the CUC. 4 more blue leg hermits and 2 more astrea snails.

Total stocking so far
1 Margarita Snail
10 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
3 Astrea Snails
3 Nassarisus Snails

Should I add anything else/more to the CUC? If so what and/or how many?

Getting some good brown diatom algae growth. I like the sight of algae in a new tank. I've recently noticed that I have a worm living in one of my pieces of LR. From everything that I've read so far, it is harmless. Only comes out at night and hides if I flash a light on him. Thanks for reading.

travie
11-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Looks like I will be done with my CUC for now. Now do I go with a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, or not get one and start looking for a Yellow Watchman Goby... The decisions. Or even not get a YWG, and start looking for 2 Ocellaris Clowns. If you would like to influence my decision, please post.

coachfraley
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
I think your CUC #'s are fine for now, I wouldn't get any more until you are sure they will have food to eat. IMO, you are better off having too small of a crew, than too large. Hermits are opportunistic feeders, so if you have too many, they will fight each other, or go after snails.

I don't know how other people feel about this, but I would wait until the tank is really stable before you add the skunk. IME, they do not take well to changing water conditions. The clowns will be the most forgiving of you inhabitants, so that is why many people add them first.

Good luck!

travie
11-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Didn't find a yellow watchman goby on this trip to the LFS's.

I'm still not happy with my LR stacking in the tank. Mainly the top 1/4 of rocks, because they are too loose when I touch them. I'll have to keep rearranging them to get them more stable. Then I will have to get my powerhead placement where I want it, because currently, I'm not happy with it. Maybe, once I get the LR in a more stable position, I'll post pictures of the new look.

travie
11-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I have the Live Rock stacked in a more stable structure. I'll just need to get the Koralias placed where I like them. Well my current position on stocking is going to be like this: if I find a Yellow Watchman Goby first, I'll get one, and still go with the 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a Royal Gramma, but if I find 2 Ocellaris Clowns first, I'll get them, a Royal Gramma, and not get a YWG. Then possibly add a cleaner shrimp later, once the tank is more stable.

The Wedge
11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
get a Purple Firefish :) I think they're cool.

travie
11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
The Firefish will probably get picked on by my other planned stocking.

travie
11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I bought two tank-bred Ocellaris Clownfish today. Acclimated them for about an hour. They seem to be doing good so far. I haven't tried to feed or turn the tank lights on yet.

travie
11-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Clowns are still doing fine and eating NLS pellets. These two clowns allowed me to win this RO Unit (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+10759&pcatid=10759) at a prize drawing at my LFS. I'm not sure if its the 35 or 50 gpd. Its used and didn't come in the original box, but it still looks like new. I'll try for pictures tonight.

travie
12-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Pictures:

FTS:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/100_2865.jpg

Blue Leg Hermit Crab:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/100_2877.jpg

Hitch Hiker:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/100_2858.jpg

Ocellaris Clownfish:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/101_2765.jpg

travie
12-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Jump to Warp Speed:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/100_2848.jpg

BigMac
12-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Thats coming along very nicely.

Thanks for the pisc!

Crispy
12-12-2008, 03:28 AM
beautiful tanks. They've come a long way. Nice journal.

labnjab
12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Tanks looking great, how much live rock is that?

travie
12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I believe it to be around 50 pounds give or take several pounds. I had to weigh it all myself, and there is a decent amount buried under the sand. I'm trying to move my 20g Fw that is under it, so that I can setup a sump.

Right now I believe my clowns are battling ich. Since I need to treat the tank for ich, its hard to tell how the tank is doing. Once I figure out my new camera, I'll get new pictures uploaded.

labnjab
12-12-2008, 05:21 PM
That's around how much we have in ours. Its a little cramped, but is a great filter

travie
12-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Once I get a sump, I would like to buy at least 10 more pounds of LR for the system.

labnjab
12-12-2008, 06:27 PM
What size sump? That's a good idea, I may do that when I sent up our sump. Were gonna use a 20 long

travie
12-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Probably just a 10g for now.

travie
12-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Finally received my refractometer in the mail. :19: About time. Now to calibrate it and see how well it works. Both fish are still swimming, hoping to win a UV Sterilizer on eBay to help kill off free-floating ich in the tank. We'll see how that goes.

travie
12-16-2008, 03:19 AM
Wednesday or Thursday, I'm thinking about getting grouping of Zoanthids if my LFS has any in for cheap. I'm just wondering where in my tank I should place them, once I get them. My current lighting is a 65w Power Compact that is 50/50 Actince/Daylight. Any advice on placement of the corals will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading,
travie

Old but latest FTS for reference:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/100_2865.jpg

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Well, Zoanthids do well in lower light but they love high flow, so if you have a spot in the tank that fits both those conditions then that's where I'd put it. Just keep in mind, they are going to spread and cover a fairly large area.

Halelorf
12-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Yea they would do well in just about any place in your tank but a lower light high flow spot would be ideal.

travie
12-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Thank you both. I'll be able to find a spot for them somewhere in the tank or at least create a good spot. I won't mind if they cover a lot of area, I don't plan on going full on reef with this tank.

Clowns both seem to be doing well. Still can't say 100% that they are ich-free. I won a Coralife Super Skimmer for tanks up to 125 gallons on eBay. Just have to hope it comes with all the parts and that they are in working order. So assuming my clowns are ich-free, my tank is doing great right now. Still in the middle of the algae cycle, but I'm not bothered by that. Also still trying to move my 20g FW tank so that I will be able to setup a small sump for the 29g SW. Hopefully, I will start the move this weekend.

Thanks for reading.:11:

travie
12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Didn't get any zoanthids. Only had one grouping for sale and it was $70USD. Didn't want to pay that much for that small of a grouping when they will reproduce like crazy given the right environment. I'll just check back later to see if they get new groupings in for cheaper. I did get another single mushroom. Can someone provide a useful link or knowledge on how to get them to reproduce?

labnjab
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
zoas and mushrooms will reproduce on their own. Theres not really much else to do. One of my zoa frags started with around 10-15 polyps and now it has around 50. Some will grow fast and some slow

Tigerbarb
12-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Your tank is coming along great!!! Keep us updated with pics.

travie
12-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Lost one of the clownfish to ich. It looked fine last night. Woke up in the morning it having trouble swimming. I euthanized it, because it was too far gone to try to treat. I moved the other clownfish to my hospital tank, so my display tank will be fishless for around the next 2 months. The clownfish will stay in the hospital tank for that duration also. I'll just get corals for my display tank during this time.

This lost is devastating to me. I don't want to make this mistake again. I just hope I get the other clownfish back to normal health.

travie
12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I lost the other clownfish to ich. I feel like a horrible fish keeper. I'll focus on corals for awhile, then in a couple of months maybe consider getting a fish.

What other corals could I get that could go in my tank? I know mushrooms and zoanthids will work. I have 65w PC lighting that is 50/50.

Halelorf
12-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Besides mushrooms, zoanthids, palys, you could probably do some soft corals. You are limited from your lighting though. You could try a Green Star Polyp, but these grow fast and can take over like a weed so if you do get one keep it on it's own separate rock in the tank.

BigMac
12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your clowns :11:

travie
12-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Received my protein skimmer in the mail today. Its an Coralife Super Skimmer for 125g. Any tips on how to have it running to increase its efficiency? I'll have it running as an HOB till I can get a sump setup. Nearly had half the tank water on the floor from initial start up. Most have missed something.

travie
12-24-2008, 09:07 PM
The skimmer is putting a lot of micro bubbles into my tank. Anyone know of a way to reduce this to zero or very close to that. They are very unsightly and in abundance. Any :help: would be greatly appreciated.

travie

cocoa_pleco
12-25-2008, 05:58 AM
its normal, mine did it when i first started it, they will go away in 24-48 hours

travie
12-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Bubbles have reduced, but there is still some. I need to fine tune the output of the skimmer. It can get loud at times. I won a CoraLife Turbo-Twist 3X 9 Watt UV Sterilizer on eBay brand new for only 69.99 USD before shipping. Heck of a deal for it. Mainly use it for QT new fish or if an outbreak occurs in a display tank that requires tank treatment. Over the next week hopefully, I will rearrange tanks so that I will be able to get a sump going for the 29g. It will only be a 10g sump, but it will be able to hide the skimmer and some excess LR. Any suggestions are always welcomed.

travie

labnjab
12-26-2008, 04:30 AM
The skimmer will always be kinda noisy, I've had my Coralife 65 since I started and its always been somewhat loud.

travie
12-26-2008, 05:31 AM
The main thing that is causing the noise right now is the output. I know is adjustable and modifiable to get it to quiet it down. I'll look into adjusting it tomorrow.

labnjab
12-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Let me know what you find cause I'd like to get mine to quiet down, although it is kinda soothing to sleep too, lol. Like one of those babbling brook cds.

travie
12-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Maybe, I'll be making a trip to the LFS before I make any changes to the protein skimmer. I'll be sure to let you know if I get it to be quieter.

cocoa_pleco
12-26-2008, 03:14 PM
how is it making noise? mines dead silent. i actually almost submerge the output

travie
12-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Its mainly making noise at the output where the water is leaving the skimmer. I think the water isn't go through the foam. Its just going up and over the sides.

Besides the skimmer problems. I picked up about a pound of live rock. Which is two pieces in my case. One piece is covered in coraline algae and the other piece has some coraline algae, polyp corals (I'll get a picture up later for a better ID), and some slug-like looking creatures. I also got a Coralife Digital Power Center, which is a surge protector and timer all in one for those who do not know. I just need to get my skimmer working to my satisfaction, and I will be happy.

labnjab
12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Thats what mine does and i think its what its designed to do, it catches the bubbles. I don't think you can modify that without getting rid of it, and then you would always have micro bubbles... I thought you were talking about the sound coming from the air silencer

travie
12-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Pictures of my new LR and a FTS with the skimmer. I think my LR has some apista on it also.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3121.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3122.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3130.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3129.jpg

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2008, 01:21 AM
looks like some mojano anemones, i would snipe them while theres only a few

is the skimmer sitting in the front of the tank permanently? lol

travie
12-27-2008, 01:21 AM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3127.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3126.jpg

I didn't modify the skimmer at all. I'll get to it later and post the results.

travie
12-27-2008, 01:23 AM
looks like some mojano anemones, i would snipe them while theres only a few

is the skimmer sitting in the front of the tank permanently? lol

No, just till I get a sump going.

kaybee
12-27-2008, 02:43 AM
Is that green star polyp purple matting on that rock?

travie
12-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Is that green star polyp purple matting on that rock?

I don't know. Is it? I bought the rock knowing there were corals on it. Just what they were exactly. I figured for 5.99 USD it was worth getting for the piece of rock and the corals. Your ID guess, is as good as mine.

travie
12-27-2008, 05:36 AM
My skimmer is acting up. At the moment, it is running, but no micro bubbles are being produced in the main chamber. Then in a little while it will start making the bubbles again and begin skimming. Then a little while later the micro bubbles will stop. Any idea what could be causing that?

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2008, 06:05 AM
is the air intake plugged? also, try keeping the air intake high above the top of the tank

travie
12-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Its most likely a clog. I'll deal with it in the morning. Too tired for the night to do anything about it now. If I had more corals to worry about, I will have it unclogged this very second.

Thanks for reading.

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2008, 06:29 AM
forgot to mention im 90% sure the purple on the rock is some closed up GSP

travie
12-27-2008, 06:33 AM
forgot to mention im 90% sure the purple on the rock is some closed up GSP

I'll get a picture of them if/when they open up. What are the other corals on the LR besides the pest anemones? Polyps of some kind?

travie
12-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Protein skimmer is still acting up after I made sure the air line tubing was clear. I'll probably take it completely off the tank and make sure nothing is clogged.

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Protein skimmer is still acting up after I made sure the air line tubing was clear. I'll probably take it completely off the tank and make sure nothing is clogged.

is the air intake above the highest point of the skimmer? it has to be to properly work

travie
12-27-2008, 06:52 PM
is the air intake above the highest point of the skimmer? it has to be to properly work

Does that include being higher then the collection cup? Well, I just taped it to the collection cup to ensure the tube doesn't fall below the cup.

Still working on the mod for the output. I guess this mod will only really help if it is HOB. I have Ultimate Frisbee to play at 3 today, so I won't get the mod finished today most likely.

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2008, 08:12 PM
doesnt have to be that high, but you want it higher than the tank

travie
12-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm thinking the air tube is getting blocked in the water pump occasionally, then it somehow becomes unplugged and starts to work correctly again. I'm hoping this will stop once I get it moved down to a sump where no debris will get into it. I've modified the output a little bit. It seems to have helped a little. I just used ideas from other websites/people. Tank seems to be doing fine. I'm in the process of rearranging so I can get a sump for the tank.

travie
12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
I really don't want to mess with installing baffles into a sump tank. I don't know if I really even want to get them. If I do, should they be glass, acrylic, or plexiglass? Is there anyway to install them without messing with silicone or any other glue-like material?

The time is almost here for me to get the actual sump tank ready for work. I have the spot cleared for my 20g FW tank to move to. Just no one else is here for me to move a stand from the basement upstairs.

So close...

travie
01-02-2009, 12:26 AM
The 20g is almost empty. I have to get out some more sand and the rest of the water. Then I will be able to get the sump going for the tank. Its going to be protein skimmer and LR, no baffles at this moment. I might try to figure a way to get chaeto in there without using baffles, we'll see.

cer
01-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Your tanks look great!

travie
01-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Your tanks look great!

Thank you. It is actually under a bad outbreak of hair algae. It'll probably go away once, I get the sump and protein skimmer going, which could be as early as Saturday or Sunday.

labnjab
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
If you ever end up using baffles, I would go glass only. Silicon doesn't stick too well to Plexiglas. A local glass shop should be able to cut them for you. I had 4 panes cut and got a tube of silicon for around $40

travie
01-02-2009, 05:32 PM
If you ever end up using baffles, I would go glass only. Silicon doesn't stick too well to Plexiglas. A local glass shop should be able to cut them for you. I had 4 panes cut and got a tube of silicon for around $40

Thank you.

My skimmer is too big to fit in the sump tank. I'll have to keep it as an HOB, which is not what I want to do. I'll have to have the skimmer be able to constantly drain into another container to minimize chance of flooding. I should have sump tank running today though unless something unforeseeable occurs.

labnjab
01-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Is that s standard 20 or a 20 long? What size skimmer is it? We have a coralife 65 and it fits perfect in our 20 long sump.

travie
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
It doesn't fit due to height of skimmer in relation to height of the stand. Its Coralife SS 125 and 20g long. I'll just use it as a HOB, and have it constantly draining to another container.

labnjab
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Is you cabinet open back, cause maybe you can use the skimmer HOB in the sump, if you have enough room between the wall and cabinet. It sucks u cant use it in sump, that's 90% why I built a sump for our tank, just to keep the skimmer out of the display.

travie
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Definitely going HO... the Front. I won't to be able to get to the skimmer if it is on the back, so I am hanging it on the front. Its just short enough where it doesn't block the view of the actual display. I would rather deal with looking at it, then not have it running. I'll post pictures of the setup after I get the sump actually running, which is going to be tonight or tomorrow (for sure). It was 75% of the reason for me to install the sump. The other 25% being to hide some LR.

travie
01-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I have the sump connected. It is a little cloudy from me moving LR around. I'll post pictures of the new look and of the sump, once I get all the LR re arranged and all the cloudiness goes away. I probably should test the water level in the sump soon or else trouble.

travie
01-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I have some pictures. I'm not done moving LR around in the main tank, and the heater will probably be moved down into the sump.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3150.jpg

+

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3153.jpg

=

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3154.jpg

cocoa_pleco
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
sweet! finally got the sump

just a heads up on the output of it, did you drill a small hole where the output is in the air? if you didnt, the output will syphon water back if the pump ever quits or the power goes out, and i would be worried about your sump flooding. if you can, you can also place the output so its out of the water making it impossible to back syphon, thats how i have mine

travie
01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
sweet! finally got the sump

just a heads up on the output of it, did you drill a small hole where the output is in the air? if you didnt, the output will syphon water back if the pump ever quits or the power goes out, and i would be worried about your sump flooding. if you can, you can also place the output so its out of the water making it impossible to back syphon, thats how i have mine

I have the output close to the surface, but I did notice some reverse syphon. I'll drill a hole tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

travie
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Any tips for silencing an overflow box? I don't know how I slept last night between the overflow box and skimmer. Today besides, re aquascaping and getting the sump level as high as it can safely go, I want to silence at least the overflow box. I figure I'm stuck with the skimmer noise.

labnjab
01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't think you can silence the overflow box either, but I could be wrong, the way mine is designed, it pulls down air as well as water, that's why its so noisy

travie
01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Darn... I'm going to try my hardest to find a way to silence it or get it more quiet. I'm never going to get a good night sleep if I don't. Just read somewhere to throw a bio-ball in the back compartment of an HOB overflow box. So far it has helped quiet the noise a lot. There is still noise from where the box drains into the sump, but I have not adjusted that yet.

labnjab
01-05-2009, 01:58 PM
The noise actually helps me sleep, lol, its a soothing sound, but its in the next room and not quite so loud

cocoa_pleco
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
is water from your overflows hose taking water to the sump noisy? all i do is submerge my overflows hose in the sumps water, my overflow and sump are dead silent besides a little bit of a hissing noise from the air blasting into the skimmer

travie
01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
It is just the way I have the water entering the sump. I haven't really messed with that to get it to be quieter. The bio-ball trick, which I hope is still working (at school now), helped to quiet the water and air being taken down the output tube of the overflow, which was the main noise maker of overflow. Tonight, I'll hopefully get the water entering the sump to quiet down.

travie
01-06-2009, 04:04 AM
List of things I want/need to do:
- Adjust output of return pump to ease the worries of the tube coming out of place and emptying the sump into my room*
-Remove pest anemone from display tank (Haven't purchased anything to do this yet)*
- Fine tune the protein skimmer
- Move heater to sump
- Get overflow and protein skimmer to release water in the same spot via PVC pipe
- Close up gaps on the lid of the display tank
- Get a tight fitting lid for the sump
- Attempt to quiet everything as much as humanly possible
- Rearrange LR in display to my liking
- Let the system stabilize before addition of fish*

*Denotes most important tasks

I hope to do all of these tasks tomorrow besides remove the pest anemones (probably won't have the Aiptasia-X by then), get a tight fitting lid for sump, and the system won't stabilize overnight (sadly). Might go to LFS tomorrow to see if they have any Aiptasia-X, not sure if I will make it tomorrow. I hope I didn't forget anything.

Thanks for reading and any helpful tips,
Travis

labnjab
01-06-2009, 04:19 AM
I would leave the heater in the display, or run 1 in the display and 1 in the sump. If your return pump ever fails, then your tank will be without a heater

cocoa_pleco
01-06-2009, 05:45 AM
i agree with leaving the heater in the display. if your pump killed off, your tank would go without a heater. if your overflow somehow dismantled and stopped taking in water, but your pump kept going, the pump would pump out all the sumps water and the pump would run dry, which would ruin it but its not a huge fire hazard, but the heater running dry would be a fire hazard

travie
01-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll just hide it better in the display tank, since I really don't want a fire hazard. My LFS didn't have any Aiptasia X. I'll have to order it online.

travie
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Still need to work on the plumbing for the return pump to the display tank, rearrange LR, and get a lid for the sump, as tight fitting as possible.

Should get the LR rearranged tonight. Plumbing I will work on tomorrow. The lid won't be able to happen till I get a lid for the 55g. I'll start looking for cheap corals online like zoas and other soft coral that will be fine in my tank.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Try checking with your local reef club. Most clubs are very helpful to new members. You would be amazed at just how much you end up getting. At the first "meeting" I went to I ended up with to Hammer frags, and then at the first real meeting I attended, I walked away with 5 free frags, 3 Monti Caps, a large finger leather "frag" (5" piece) and a Cabbage leather.

travie
01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Try checking with your local reef club. Most clubs are very helpful to new members. You would be amazed at just how much you end up getting. At the first "meeting" I went to I ended up with to Hammer frags, and then at the first real meeting I attended, I walked away with 5 free frags, 3 Monti Caps, a large finger leather "frag" (5" piece) and a Cabbage leather.

Quick search of the Internet showed me there is a very, very small reef club in my area. But I did find a possiblity of 3 LFS in my area that I have never been to, assuming they are still open. I plan to see about one of them today.

Still need to plumb the return pump and the output of the overflow box. Not quite done rearranging LR, but close to being done. I'm thinking I want one baffle in the sump. The baffle would be right before the return pump. I figure it will make sure the sump doesn't empty onto the floor if the overflow box stops working for some reason. I'm not sure how high to make the baffle at the moment.

labnjab
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
We made our return pump section in our 20 long around 8 inches high and just wide enough to fit the pump in. That section holds about no more the 2 gallons, so if the siphon breaks, and the pump keeps running it won't make 2 much of a mess

travie
01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
We made our return pump section in our 20 long around 8 inches high and just wide enough to fit the pump in. That section holds about no more the 2 gallons, so if the siphon breaks, and the pump keeps running it won't make 2 much of a mess

This excess water would also drain into the first chamber of my overflow box. I'm thinking the height will really depend on how high I keep the water level in the 20g long before and after the baffle. To keep it in place, I might get some of the glue that works under water.

travie
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I fell in love with the LFS I went to for the first time. I bought a very small group of zoas. I want to go back and buy another grouping of differently colored zoas. I also would like to get Pulsing Xenia, but would that be fine to go into my tank? Here is a link to this LFS website. (http://www.coralreefaquarium.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cartlink=index.html)

Maybe I'll get pictures up tonight of the zoas and the whole tank.

labnjab
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Pulsing xenia would do great. I have some in my tank and they are doing very well. Just be careful as they can be fast growers and overpopulate (although I started with 2 heads 3 months ago and only have 4) I like them as they add color and movement

travie
01-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll try to get one or two heads then. Need to look back through my journal to see the posts of what corals I can keep. Zoas, mushrooms, and xenia, I know. Need to double check the very few others. Palys and Green Star Polyp are the other two I can try.

travie
01-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Picture time. Sorry no FTS. I didn't feel like cleaning the glass.

New hitchhiker that I found today:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3162.jpg

Zoas right after I put them in:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3163.jpg

Zoas mostly opened up. Nice coloring:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3167.jpg

Question on this photo:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3130-1.jpg

The question is positioned over the item in question.

kaybee
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Long-thin tentacled one(s) in the pic aiptasia.
The others are manjano.

travie
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the id. My Aiptasia X that I ordered should be here within a week.

Saturday, I plan to go to an LFS or 3 (2 of which I will have never been before). I also plan to come home with some Plusing Xenia and a Zoanthid frag.

My tank is changed a good amount since the last FTS. I have moved a lot of LR down into the sump. I just need to find a way to create more caves in the display.

With all the messing around of the sump, I managed make my sump back to its noisy state. I do have a lid on the sump now that covers roughly 75-85% of it. Need to work on getting the lids of the display and sump covering the whole top.

Forgot to mention, I finally got around to ordering a battery powered air pump incase of power outtages.

travie
01-10-2009, 03:54 AM
I have two questions in this post. First, what glue should I get that works underwater. HoldFast Epoxy Stick (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4680+3961&pcatid=3961) or Mr. Sticky's Underwater Glue (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9822)? Second, when I do get around to upgrading my lighting, should I go T5 or MH?

Thank you for the opinions.

Tomorrow, I'm probably going to get another zoa frag and a little bit of Pulsing Xenia. I hope that is all I come home with livestock-wise.

Thanks for reading.

labnjab
01-10-2009, 04:48 AM
The lighting depends on what you want for coral

travie
01-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I picked up a zoa frag and a pulsing xenia frag. I'll post pictures up of them once they start to open up, and when I can tell they are okay in my tank.

travie
01-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Its official, I will upgrade my lighting as soon as I save up enough for it. Still need to decide on T5 or MH. Need all the suggestions/opinions I can on lighting. Zoa frag looks to be doing fine. Xenia frag isn't doing too well yet. Need to find a spot in my tank that it likes.

cocoa_pleco
01-12-2009, 03:16 AM
what lights do you have now? if you have room, i would add a 70w MH along with your current lights

http://cgi.ebay.com/Single-Double-Ended-70W-Metal-Halide-Pendant-Lights_W0QQitemZ120361390349QQihZ002QQcategoryZ463 14QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

travie
01-12-2009, 03:29 AM
what lights do you have now? if you have room, i would add a 70w MH along with your current lights

http://cgi.ebay.com/Single-Double-Ended-70W-Metal-Halide-Pendant-Lights_W0QQitemZ120361390349QQihZ002QQcategoryZ463 14QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its a power compact light. Its a 65 watt bulb that is 50/50. I would be better off completely replacing the light, I know that. Thanks for the link to a light. I'll need to save up before I buy a new light. So I should go MH?

The Xenia doesn't seem to be doing well at all. I know they don't travel well, but still not doing well yet. The Zoas are doing fine. Looks like I tried to progress to far too soon with the Xenia.

cocoa_pleco
01-12-2009, 03:39 AM
you could go MH, i would go for a 150w MH suspended high above the tank or a 6x24w or 4x39w T5. i personally like MH

travie
01-12-2009, 03:47 AM
you could go MH, i would go for a 150w MH suspended high above the tank or a 6x24w or 4x39w T5. i personally like MH

I'll start looking for all 3 types of setups. Shop around till I find a good deal. Thank you for the suggestions.

travie
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Does anybody know roughly how much MH bump up the electricity bill? Seeing as I don't pay for it, I don't want to force someone else to pay more.

travie
01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Killed off some more aiptasia today. Zoas are doing great. The Pulsing Xenia hate my tank so far. I've decided to definitely not try SPS. So I will only need lighting to accommodate softies and a few LPS. Once I get close to the amount of money that I need for new lighting, I'll start asking for opinions on specific light fixtures.

labnjab
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Give the xenia some time, I've had mine not open up for a week at a time before. Do you have a picture of how they look? As long as they haven't melted they should be ok. When I started my tank I had them under 36 watts T8 Plant aquarium bulbs and they were thriving. If you want a light to just keep LPS and some softies, I would go with a 4x39 t-5 fixture. Thats what I have and the LPS love it.

travie
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
I'll try to get a picture up of the Xenia sometime tonight.

travie
01-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Metal Halide Unit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130281762178&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI) would this lighting be too much for my tank? I'm thinking it would be. I would prefer to get a 4x39 T5 unit, but I'm having a hard time finding one on eBay that is only 30 inches long.

cocoa_pleco
01-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Metal Halide Unit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130281762178&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI) would this lighting be too much for my tank? I'm thinking it would be. I would prefer to get a 4x39 T5 unit, but I'm having a hard time finding one on eBay that is only 30 inches long.

i have that exact light, just the 24" model. just a heads up its a good light but the ballast is crap, ive heard from tons of people that the ballast is under driven, and when mine crapped out after only a few months i bought a icecap and it looked 200% better with a new ballast.

and i would say its overkill unless youre going to keep low light and medium light corals near the bottom

travie
01-17-2009, 04:38 AM
i have that exact light, just the 24" model. just a heads up its a good light but the ballast is crap, ive heard from tons of people that the ballast is under driven, and when mine crapped out after only a few months i bought a icecap and it looked 200% better with a new ballast.

and i would say its overkill unless youre going to keep low light and medium light corals near the bottom

Figured it would be overkill. I'll keep looking for a good deal.

travie
01-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Does anybody know where I could buy a replacement flexible output tube for my Coralife SS 125g? I bought mine used, and they cut the tube way short. I'm pretty sure a full length tube would allow me to remove some of the water noise down from the tank.

Thanks for reading,
travie

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Does anybody know where I could buy a replacement flexible output tube for my Coralife SS 125g? I bought mine used, and they cut the tube way short. I'm pretty sure a full length tube would allow me to remove some of the water noise down from the tank.

Thanks for reading,
travie

email coralife and they should give you it for free. i think it was labnjab that needed a new air diffuser for his coralife skimmer and they sent him a new one for free

labnjab
01-18-2009, 04:56 AM
email coralife and they should give you it for free. i think it was labnjab that needed a new air diffuser for his coralife skimmer and they sent him a new one for free

It was us, lol. They sent it in less then a week for free

travie
01-18-2009, 05:50 AM
I e-mailed them on Wednesday about it, and they haven't replied to the e-mail yet. Any opinions on this Metal Halide Light? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300287349275#ht_1116wt_909) Or could I get this MH Light (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130281762178&category=46314&_trksid=p4340.m212&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%252BSI%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%2 52BIA%26itu%3DPSS%252BCRS%252BUCC%252BUCI%252BIT%2 52BUA%252BSI%252BUS-WHR%252BUCI%252BIT%252BUA%252BSI%252BUS-WHR%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D56#ht_3161wt_909) and just put actinic lights into the PC slots? I would prefer to get a fixture that has actinic lights built in.

EDIT: Changed the link for the second fixture.

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2009, 05:59 AM
i would try to find a 150w but if you really want a 250w, i would get the first one or get the second one and replace the ballast (extra $120 for a icecap)

travie
01-18-2009, 06:06 AM
i would try to find a 150w but if you really want a 250w, i would get the first one or get the second one and replace the ballast (extra $120 for a icecap)
If I were to get the second one, would I be able to just put a 150w in it and have no problems?

The exact wattage of the Halide isn't what I'm worried about. I just want to have one light fixture on the tank that has actinic lights already in it.

travie
01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Found a better option MH 150w with T5s for actinic (http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Metal-Halide-150-HQI-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-w-bulbs_W0QQitemZ180315223743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item180315223743&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_1705w t_909). I might just settle with having two fixtures on the tank; 1 MH fixture and 1 PC fixture(for actinic lighting only).

Just need to find a 150w MH light that is 24" and is dirt cheap. Once I find it, I'll get opinions on it.

travie
01-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I think I have found the Light Fixture (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem~idproduct~CU01055~child~CU01055~utm_so urce~mdcsethereeftank.combase~utm_medium~cse~utm_t erm~CU01055~utm_content~CurrentUSASunDialHQIPendan t1x150W10KHQI2x32WDualSunPaqActinics~utm_campaign~ mdcse~site~thereeftank.com_base~tab~0.html) finally. Its a MH 150w with 2x32w PC Actinic lighting. I only wish it was 24" or 30" long though. Sound like it could be a winner?

Finally got around to doing a much overdue WC on the 29g. Zoas seem fine, Xenia does not. Story of my tanks life so far.

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I think I have found the Light Fixture (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem~idproduct~CU01055~child~CU01055~utm_so urce~mdcsethereeftank.combase~utm_medium~cse~utm_t erm~CU01055~utm_content~CurrentUSASunDialHQIPendan t1x150W10KHQI2x32WDualSunPaqActinics~utm_campaign~ mdcse~site~thereeftank.com_base~tab~0.html) finally. Its a MH 150w with 2x32w PC Actinic lighting. I only wish it was 24" or 30" long though. Sound like it could be a winner?

Finally got around to doing a much overdue WC on the 29g. Zoas seem fine, Xenia does not. Story of my tanks life so far.

jimpierce was looking at that one, it looks good but dont forget thats just the pendent, you still need a ballast which again is around $150.

this one you pointed out at least has a ballast and you can switch it for a better ballast when you get some extra money

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Metal-Halide-150-HQI-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-w-bulbs_W0QQitemZ180315223743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item180315223743&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_1705w t_909

travie
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Its almost impossible for me to find a light fixture that suits the needs of my tank and is a good deal. I don't want to spend over $250 US on this fixture.

T5 Fixture (http://cgi.ebay.com/30-CURRENT-USA-SUNDIAL-T-5-Fixture-4X24Watt_W0QQitemZ160309549105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item160309549105&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting) that could work. If I were to get it, could I replace the the 24 watt bulbs with 39 watt bulbs? Otherwise, it would not work if I couldn't put the 39 watt bulbs in it. Its hard to find a light fixture that is 30 inches long on eBay that is either a 150 watt MH light fixture or a 4 x 39 watt T5 fixture.

MH Fixture with T5 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180322068410) this is what I want, but I need one that is 30 inches or a 36 inch fixture that I could adjust to sit on a 30 inch tank.

Here it is (http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Moon-Lunar-NIB_W0QQitemZ180321842664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item180321842664&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) the MH fixture I want. If I can move leg brackets into 30 inches apart, I'm getting it, unless any of you kind folks see a reason for me not to.

Thanks for reading this very confusing post.

labnjab
01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Here it is (http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Moon-Lunar-NIB_W0QQitemZ180321842664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item180321842664&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) the MH fixture I want. If I can move leg brackets into 30 inches apart, I'm getting it, unless any of you kind folks see a reason for me not to.

I'm curious if that's a good light too. That's what I payed for our t-5's I may buy one too and just sell my t-5's for what I bought them for. Looks like there's 5 available.

travie
01-19-2009, 09:35 PM
MH fixture (http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Moon-Lunar-NIB_W0QQitemZ180321842664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item180321842664&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) that I will be buying tonight or tomorrow.

I still haven't heard back from Coralife about the protein skimmer tube... After I get the new light, this will probably set me back on how long till I get a fish for the tank, which will probably be a Yellow Watchman Goby. I'll definitely work on getting corals and letting them settle before fish are introduced.

labnjab
01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
It took them a few days to answer me, but they should replace it no charge beccause its something you can't buy seperate

travie
01-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Its been a week and still haven't heard back from Coralife about the skimmer. Should be getting the new light fixture by Saturday if the shipping people are nice to me. And picture time. Xenia looks like it is doing a little better since I bought it. I would like an ID on a couple of my pictures if someone could help me out with them.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3205.jpg

There is a little guy to the right of the Xenia. It has a green center and 7 petals. I saw them at the LFS, but didn't ask what they were called. They hitch hiked along when I bought the Xenia. Do you have a name for it?
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3215.jpg

Here is a starfish looking creature that I just saw on the front glass for the first time in my tank. Good or bad starfish? What is it called if it is okay to keep?
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3217.jpg

Zoanthids:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3213.jpg

Thanks in advance for help with those 2 ids.

kaybee
01-22-2009, 12:24 AM
The unidentified coral is clavularia.
The starfish is an asterina. Most likely an algae/detritus eater. The majority of them are misshapen.

travie
01-23-2009, 04:30 AM
My new light should be here either tomorrow or Saturday. Any tips on how to acclimate my Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Xenia, and Green Star Polyps, to the new MH lights? They will be going from my PC to MH, so I figure I should acclimate them in some way to the new lighting. I know I will need to move everything down and to the sides since they won't need that direct of lighting.

I'll make sure to take a before and after picture of the tank.

I keep having to kill off an occasional Aiptasia. I have a question on Majano Anemones though; I know they can be green, but can they also be red? If so, I need to start killing off some more Majanos.

Thanks for reading and thank you kaybee for the ID's,

travie

cocoa_pleco
01-23-2009, 04:37 AM
to acclimate them i would move them a notch lower, then over a week or two's time move them up in the tank to a spot where they like best

coachfraley
01-23-2009, 06:56 AM
I hope that is a "good" asterina star. I have a bad variety in my tank. They eat corraline, and they breed like CRAZY. All of my rock and walls are now devoid of algae. I tried culling the stars for a while, but they just breed too fast. I assume that the population will eventually crash when they completelty run out of corraline.

I have also heard some people say that they will much on zoas, but I haven't heard a first person account of it.

You should be able to tell what the star eats by its preffered location in the tank.

Good luck!

BTW, nice coral pickups!

labnjab
01-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Has you xenia improved any? It really doesn't look so go in the picture, I see what you were talking about earlier

travie
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
If they start eating my Zoas or any other corals, something is going to die... As I see them, I'll start mo

I need to get at least 2 panes of glass for my sump, then I can begin the rebuild of it. Looks like I will be able to start considering what new corals I can get in the next few days. I know I like the look of Brains, Frogspawn, Candy Cane corals.

travie
01-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I purchased a Candy Cane coral and a Cap coral today. Next time I go back to the LFS, I want to get a Brain and Frogspawn coral. Any reason why I shouldn't get either of those two for my tank? Please advise on coral selection as needed. Pictures will come in the next couple of days.

travie
01-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Has you xenia improved any? It really doesn't look so go in the picture, I see what you were talking about earlier

Its definitely improving a little each day. I'm thinking it will survive. I heard Xenia sometimes doesn't travel well. Still haven't heard back from Coralife either.

travie
01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Picture time with new lighting, new corals, and new rock formations. Hope you enjoy. I have room for one or two more LPS corals. I need some advise on this choice. I'm thinking get an Open Brain and place it directly in the middle of the tank on the sand. It would be the only coral on that level. Good idea?

Power Compact:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/000_0004.jpg

Metal Halide:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/000_0006.jpg

Metal Halide and latest rock formation:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/DSCF3224.jpg

The pictures overall are bad, but they are good enough to tell the difference. Corals to come in my next post.

travie
01-24-2009, 04:13 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3226.jpg

I think it is really a Trumpet Coral instead of Candy Cane, but both are pretty much the same.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3230.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3231.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3232.jpg

*Not pictured Mushrooms, Xenia, and Clavularia.

Rue
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
It's coming along nicely!thumbs2:

I see you have some of the same 'brown' stuff growing like I do...I've been battling some version of it since the tank cycled...:fish2:

travie
01-24-2009, 04:20 PM
It's coming along nicely!thumbs2:

I see you have some of the same 'brown' stuff growing like I do...I've been battling some version of it since the tank cycled...:fish2:

A lot of my 'brown' stuff has been going away. I just need to let my tank stabilize once I get these last corals in. Xenia is definitely doing better.

Still to be added: Open Brain Coral, possibly another LPS coral (need advice on this selection), and I want to get one or two Green Hairy Mushrooms.

What LPS coral likes moderate flow, has short tentacles, and isn't too difficult to keep?

kaybee
01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
...I think it is really a Trumpet Coral instead of Candy Cane, but both are pretty much the same....

Trumpet coral/candy cane coral are all common names for the same coral genus (caulastrea).

travie
01-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Purchased a Brain Coral and a Blastomusa Coral today. I'll get pictures up later today once I get them in position, and they get settled. Just need to get a Green Hairy Mushroom, then my wallet will say I am done buying coral, I hope.

labnjab
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I would try a frogspawn or a torch. Those are my 2 favorite corals and I have 1 of each in my 29, just be careful on their placement as they have fairly long sweeper testicles, although I've had them for months in my tank and have yet to see any sweepers.

travie
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Open Brain and Blastomusa, which I just bought both yesterday:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3236.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3237.jpg

Then my Cap and Candy Coral:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3242.jpg

Finally just my favorite color varation of Zoanthids thus far:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3244.jpg

For my wallet's sake, I hope I am done stocking with corals. Time to let tank stabilze for awhile (or until I get a QT tank empty, and fine a Yellow Watchman Goby). Still need to get baffles for the sump and tight fitting lids for the tank and sump. I did target feed the Brain and Candy Cane last night with one piece of krill each. It was an amazing sight to watch.

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2009, 07:00 PM
just be careful on their placement as they have fairly long sweeper testicles

ROFL SPELL CHECK!

labnjab
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
wow, sorry about that, lol it was spell check that did that actually, I must have spelled it wrong, and right clicked it for spell check and choose the first word that came up:14:

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
lol, you have the honor of making me literally ROFL like crazy, only a few other threads have made me laugh like that

kaybee
01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Nice frags!

travie
01-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Nice frags!

Thank you. I just hope they keep doing well.

travie
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Looking for suggestions of placement of my corals for lighting purposes.

My cap coral is on the highest piece of rock close to right below the light. I figure that placement is as good as it can be, along with my brain coral which is on the sand below the light. My main inquiry is about my blastomusa and candy cane. I have the candy cane roughly middle of the tank and right below the light. Too much light? Not enough? My blastomusa is on the same level as the candy, but it is more to the side of the tank. Not enough light?

So my main questions are about my blastomusa and candy cane. Still working on my powerhead placement. I notice I'm getting a lot of cyano build-up right below the powerhead, so I figure, that right front corner of the tank isn't getting a good amount of water flow.

labnjab
01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
The candy cane should do well anywhere you put it. It will show you if its not happy by not fully opening. I've had mine near the bottom when I had PC lights and it did great. Now I have t-5's and its towards the middle and is still doing great. I also have it in low flow, which you would want to do with most LPS anyways

coachfraley
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
If I could give some advice, just make sure to allow for a lot of growth space. You will be surprised how much some of them will grow in a six month period.

I would also move the zoas out of that "prime" real estate at the top of your tank. You might want to save that space for something that needs a lot of light, and the zoas would do fine anywhere.

Also, watch out for those sweeper testicles!

travie
01-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't plan to get any more corals for my tank, so that should enable me to have room for growth. I need to talk to my LFS, and see if he will take frags of my corals later. And if I have to, I'll post ads up on Craigslist.

From what I have been reading lately on lighting requirements it goes like this: SPS>Softies(Zoas and Purple Matting)>LPS>Softies(Mushrooms)

travie
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Just some updates.

Have a nasty outbreak of cyano at the moment. I've found out during the day with the MH on my tank, the temperature in my tank stays between 80F and 81F, but overnight my tank drops to around 77F, which means my heater is not set to the right temperature. I'll have to wait till tonight after the MH has been off for awhile to get my heater set higher. Finally glued down my cap and candy cane coral.

travie
02-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Stupid heater. Came home from a Super Bowl party to find my tank at 83F, and now I am having a hard time getting it back down to the 78-80F range.

I'm noticing a lot of bristleworms in my tank. Anyone have any tips for getting rid of them, at least out of the display?

Fed the open brain tonight. I hope it will recover from its expose skeleton.

Still have not heard back from Coralife.

Two questions: Any surefire way to get rid my display of bristleworms? What brand of heater would you recommend for my tank?