PDA

View Full Version : algae?

Nautilus291
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I have some brown stuff on my rocks and looks like on my wall is this algae? If it is how do i get ride of it.

If you want pictures of it you will have to wait untill tomarrow Im at school right now and Im going to sleep right when i get home.

Abbeys_Mom
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Read this thread. Hope it helps.

Brown Algae
(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2327&highlight=brown+algae)

MrKickalot
01-10-2007, 05:12 PM
I had the same problem a month or so ago. Got help in this thread:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2327&highlight=brown+algae

Ended up putting phosphate remover in my filter and got rid of it.

OOPPS... didn't realize we linked the same thread...

Abbeys_Mom
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
lol! :hmm3grin2orange:

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
yes adam. it is brown algae. otto cats and flying fox's do a wonderful job of getting rid of some of it too!

NorthernBoy
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Test you water for phosphates. You generally get high phosphates from over feeding. You also can get a large brown algae bloom in extremely new tanks. How long has the tank been set up for? I bought 2 rubbernose plecos to clean my brown algae as I try not to add any extra chemicals to the tank. Adding phosphate remover to the tank is ok although you HAVE TO change it every 2 weeks. And it is not the cheapest solution. I would have been spending $10 a month on phosphate remover and I got the 2 fish for like around $15 total. All the algae is almost gone and then you can just feed wafers and cukes to the rubbernose. They also stay fairly small, like 4-5 inches. Ideal for my 55 gal. Also How old are your lights. Old lights can increase the brown algae.

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Test you water for phosphates. You generally get high phosphates from over feeding. You also can get a large brown algae bloom in extremely new tanks. How long has the tank been set up for? I bought 2 rubbernose plecos to clean my brown algae as I try not to add any extra chemicals to the tank. Adding phosphate remover to the tank is ok although you HAVE TO change it every 2 weeks. And it is not the cheapest solution. I would have been spending $10 a month on phosphate remover and I got the 2 fish for like around $15 total. All the algae is almost gone and then you can just feed wafers and cukes to the rubbernose. They also stay fairly small, like 4-5 inches. Ideal for my 55 gal. Also How old are your lights. Old lights can increase the brown algae.

typically, phosphate is introduced by the water company also. my tap water has high phosphate levels. you could also try a diatom filter (short term)

Nautilus291
01-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Thanks for all of the help. I highly doubt ive been over feeding them, becuase ive been trying to keep that as low as i can right now. As for lighting i got the light with the hood about 2 or so months ago. Thats around how old the tank is too so it still is a farly new tank.

jeffs99dime
01-11-2007, 02:55 AM
it very common to get algae blooms when your tank is new.