PDA

View Full Version : Info needed about kribs plz?

jonruthy
10-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi all,
We have just set up a new 94L tank and we are wanting to get some kribs when its all cycled. But we have a few questions before we go ahead with our plan.

1. How many Kribs should we put in a 94L ?
2. Should we or can we put other fish with the Kribs ?
3. What other fish are good to put in with Kribs?

Any info on Kribs would help very much, as we have read so many conflicting write ups about these fish, some say keep other fish some say no other fish at all.
Also any ideas on other cave like things we can use for them in the tank? we have 1 cave in there at this moment in time.

We want to get it right for our fish before we go out and buy them, so any help would be great from anyone who keeps Kribs.

Many thanks,
Jonruthy xx

Fishalicious
10-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Kribs are best kept as a pair - male/female - they are not picky and will pair up. Keeping just a couple will stop any conflict or territory issues so much easier.

You can stock with community fish (tetra's, danio's etc.) beside them just stay away from any other cichlids that inhabit the lower region of the tank.

concretephil
10-03-2008, 10:23 PM
i agree that only one pair would be good for that size tank, also, they'll be a little less shy if you use dither fish ( I use zebra danios for dithers). they love caves, some people use flower pots or pvc tubing, i use slate rock formations, held together with aquarium grade silicone for a more natural looking environment. mine love sand substrate ( they've dug out a hole in the sand under the slate rocks)

robnepper
10-04-2008, 02:30 AM
I was entirely surprised by how much mine dug. Or should I say excavated. Three weeks in and I have just noticed some fry though. Mine were purchased as an adult breeding pair, so I sort of expected it. My cories get chased a lot too, even though I have 8 Danios.

jonruthy
10-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Ok thats great thank you for the info, we are planing to put 6 glowlight tetras and 6 cardinal tetras in with the kribs, we have kept danios before and found they became very aggressive, so we are a bit reluctant to get anymore of those.
If anyone thinks the fish we have chosen not to be a good idea, we would love to know and if any more ideas on dither fish best to use.

Oh and will the kribs be ok with gravel, as we wasn't sure which to put in sand or gravel. Looks like i made the wrong choice there, but most of the pics i have seen of kribs have had gravel in the tanks.

Many thanks,
Jonruthy xx

gem
10-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Gravel is fine. They'll move that around too. I'm not sure I'd go with Cardinals. Rummynose maybe.

ladyoutlaw50
10-05-2008, 05:30 AM
I have a pair of kribs and a bristlenose together!! When the pair spawns and has fry they become very very aggressive. They will even come right up to the glass when i come and look at the little ones!
The more hiding places the better -- my pair move around alot -- I have 5 different hiding spots --plus my bristlenose likes to hide as well!!

jonruthy
10-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Gravel is fine. They'll move that around too. I'm not sure I'd go with Cardinals. Rummynose maybe.
why not tetras and more rummynose gem? the tetras i have are very fast and someone else said tetras ae good ditherers, i'm getting confused on which to get now.

Fishalicious
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Rummynoses and Cardinals swim just as fast as each other.... any tetra will be fine... just give any bottom layer fish a swerve and it will be a great tank :19:

jonruthy
10-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Thank you Fishalicious,
We have decided on 2 Gouramis and 6 small tetras or rasboras not to sure which yet and 4 Kribensis, how does that sound?

Many thanks for all the info,
Jonruthy xx

Fishalicious
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Not good!!! You only have space for 2 Kribs - a male and a female - if you get any more you are asking for world war 3 everyone else has also said the same above. Also gourami's are territorial - you are better sticking to just one territorial fish in the tank (kribs) and the other stocking schooling fish

Tolley
10-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Agreed, definite no on more than 2 kribs in your tank.

mrs fishpatrick
10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Like fishalicious and Tolley said, don't have more than 2, I made the mistake of having 4 and it is not pretty, I am in the process of removing 2 of them.
It is just not nice to look at them squarreling all the time, and for the not dominant 2 to be hiding in the wierdest places all the time and not being allowed out to have food is not nice for the fish in question

Gemstone
10-06-2008, 07:11 AM
NOT more than two krib...they will fight each other to the death...seriously...it can hapen...only one pair...and the tetras are an ok choice..not so sure about your other fish tho..

jonruthy
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Ok we won't go with 4 Kribs it's just the 2, we don't want battles as you have all said, we where told by pets at home that they where a schooling fish and liked to be kept in more than a pair.
What other fish does everybody have with there Kribs, if you don't mind us asking, we seem to be ok with a mid water fish but struggling to find a suitable top water fish apart from danios and as we said we ain't keen on getting danios.

Many thanks.
Jonruthy xx

mrs fishpatrick
10-06-2008, 11:22 AM
my odessa barbs are using the higher end of the tank,
and I have my little cory's who do the scavenging for me.

jonruthy
10-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok we have done a bit of looking around on the net and have come up with some fish we really like, but would anyone say yes or no to keeping any with kribs plz.
And to think we thought this was going to be easy finding fish that would be fine with kribs not................lol.

Cardinal Tetra
Harlequins
Panda Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Neon Rainbow Fish

Ok thats the list we have come up with lol( I really do like the Rainbows and Cardinal tetras)But anyother surggestions would be great.

Many thanks,
Joruthy xx

jonruthy
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=42
We have just been to this site and it goes in depth about cichlids and they say that gouramis make very good dither fish, now we are def stumped.

Fishalicious
10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
All the above fish you mention are fine with Kribs...

Gourami's are territorial and although they are on the top layer 2 types of territorial fish can cause havoc... it is still an option but just be aware there may be problems - it all depends on the fish's characters.

Kribs schooling fish :hmm3grin2orange: I only know of 1 schooling cichlid and Kribs definately are not schooling fish.

jonruthy
10-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Thats great Fishalicious, thank you very much for your help on this 1. We are going to go with Neon rainbows with our 2 kribs :) Just not sure how many to get now, would six be good or is that to many for the size tank we have?

Many thanks again,
Jonruthy xx

Juannie
10-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Well I have masses of kribs in my 5foot x1 foot tank with 2 severums, a convict, lots of tetras, gold gourami, gibby plec (recently moved), suckerfish. I have logs in the tank, little terracotta pots, shells and rocks and they hide anywhere and everywhere. Trust me, they also breed like rabbits.

I've had trouble with a few dying on and off as they get stressed quite easily compared to anything else in my tank but because they breed likes rabbits they are replaced twice as fast! So if you don' want them breeding constantly i'd be very careful of what sex you get - otherwise they're gorgeous fish. GOOD LUCK