PDA

View Full Version : Killifish Q

luckydud13
10-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi guys, long time no smell, anyway. I am getting some killifish and was wondering because I am short on space if they can grow up/ be raised, not breed, in one gallon jars? That would be better than me spending couple hundred dollars on 5 gallon tanks, not to mention this would dramatically reduce space. Any comments are appreciated thanks!

cocoa_pleco
10-02-2008, 01:11 AM
IMO a 5g with filter and heater is absolute bare minimum with 10g being better. if space is a issue, i would get a 40g breeder or 20g long with 3-4 dividers

Mvjnz
10-02-2008, 05:14 AM
It's fine while they are tiny, maybe for a couple weeks, but if you keep them in there longer you might see deformed growth due to lack of space. If you don't have room to breed them, then don't. If you have heaps of plants and no fish or snail which might eat the eggs some of the fry are bound to grow upo sooner or later.

rainbowfish
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't think they'd even be comfortable in a 10. You're asking about multiple killis in a 5? I had 2 golden wonders in a 10 gallon very short term and they seemed less than thrilled... So my guess is 2 or more in a 5 would be WAY bad...

Mvjnz
10-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Oh right, I misunderstood what they were syaing, I thought the jars would be for the fry, not the adult fish.

No on the jars for adult fish. It depends in the species, but some killies can be kept in a 20 litre tank just fine, such as Nigerian killies and clown killies, but there are other kinds which need more room, ranging from 30 litres up to 100 litres.

I had 5 Nigerian killies in a 22 litre tank, and currently have 3 in there, they are fine.

cocoa_pleco
10-03-2008, 06:22 AM
I don't think they'd even be comfortable in a 10. You're asking about multiple killis in a 5? I had 2 golden wonders in a 10 gallon very short term and they seemed less than thrilled... So my guess is 2 or more in a 5 would be WAY bad...

everyone says 5g-10g is good but i kept a pair in a 55g planted and they used every square inch of space

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
IMO a 5 is not big enough for 1 male beta!

Tolley
10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I think it would be dependant on what type of killifish you are talking about. There are a wide range of sizes.

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I guess i'm just not a fish in a jar kinda guy!I like the idea and the look of a clean well cycled tank full of fish.
I saw a guys set up once for breeding livebearers and it was just not well maintained. All his fish seemed to be alive but everything was dirty and just stunk.I know I would not want any of his fish.
He was more into lizards though!

Can you run some kind of filter system for the bottles or does one have to do w/c every other day?

bushwhacker
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
bout the only thing i'd put in a 5 gallon tank would be shrimp

jaysee
08-25-2009, 06:37 AM

Golden wonders (panchax) are large killis, but there are a number that don't grow more than 2 inches. My nothos top out at an inch and a half.