PDA

View Full Version : Will Clown Loach be ok?

Z 2 L8ter
10-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Hello all,

First off I'd like to say hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm excited about tapping into all the resources that seem to be offered here. I have a 46gallon bowfront tank with an assortmetn of community fish. Last night I was at the pet store looking for a decent bottom feeder for my tank that wouldn't grow too large. I was recommended to purchase the Clown Loach and I did. Ater some further research I've found that they grow rather large and it seems every one has a different opinion on what type of tank to put them in. My loach is maybe 3" long right now. Will he be okay in a 46 gallon tank or should I take him back or find a new home for him. I'm concerned he won't have enough space and buying a bigger tank is not feasible for me. Any insight woudl be greatly appreciated.

Take Care,
Jeremy

Lady Hobbs
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Welcome to AC. I will move your thread into the loach forum if you don't mind?

Clowns are slow growers and I'm sure he's fine in your tank for some time. The only problem I see is that they like several of their own and will be nervous and skittish without their own species. You can expect him to grow to around 8" and they get even larger than that in bigger tanks and in the wild.

oldhead
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
As the Lady said they need a few of their own to properly settle into the tank. I personally would take him back to the store and perhaps search out something else to replace it.

glarior
10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Welcome to AC. I will move your thread into the loach forum if you don't mind?

Clowns are slow growers and I'm sure he's fine in your tank for some time. The only problem I see is that they like several of their own and will be nervous and skittish without their own species. You can expect him to grow to around 8" and they get even larger than that in bigger tanks and in the wild.

I agree with Lady Hobbs...

I have 2 clown loaches and one of them is fully grown. I have had these guys for about 1-2 years now and they have grown up in a 29g --> 37g --> and now a 55g with no problem. They even survived when my aquarium levels were off the charts. If you are able to return them with no problem then you might want to consider that option. If not they will do fine but eventually you should move them to a bigger tank. Also, my grandmother had two clown loaches in a aquarium lamp for years and they did very well. However, they were the only fish in there and she had good filtration.

Good luck!

Mvjnz
10-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I'd get a group of pakistani loaches or dwarf loaches instead, they're fun but don't grow nearly as big as the clown loach. Remember they need to be in groups of at least 5 tho, preferably more.

Z 2 L8ter
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, after some research and consideration I took my clown loach back to the store and they happily let me exchange him for 2 peppered cories. I think it was the right choice. I appreciate all of your help!

Mvjnz
10-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Cool, but your cories will be happier in a bigger group, preferably 6 at least.

Holyvision
10-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, after some research and consideration I took my clown loach back to the store and they happily let me exchange him for 2 peppered cories. I think it was the right choice. I appreciate all of your help!

Awesome choice! Peppers are my fav. of the cory cats! But, like the loach, they are best in groups as they are a schooling fish, and are more entertaining in groups of 6+ (8+ is even better!!). It's quite funny to watch the "Cory Stampede" when you drop in frozen food on one side, and they all run to the other while looking for food along the way. Super cool fish!

Z 2 L8ter
10-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I now have 3 peppered corries, had 4 but one died. There is also a rubber lip pleco and an upside down cat in the tank, will adding more cories result in too many bottom feeders?

mac
10-27-2008, 09:05 AM
I have 2 clown loaches and one of them is fully grown. I have had these guys for about 1-2 years now and they have grown up in a 29g --> 37g --> and now a 55g with no problem. They even survived when my aquarium levels were off the charts. If you are able to return them with no problem then you might want to consider that option. If not they will do fine but eventually you should move them to a bigger tank. Also, my grandmother had two clown loaches in a aquarium lamp for years and they did very well. However, they were the only fish in there and she had good filtration.
Good luck!

Hi Clown Loaches are a loverly active exciting fish to keep.

But they should never be kept in a 29 gallon 37 gallon 55 gallon tank.

One the tanks are to small. And second these fish can grow up to 16 inches once they reach their full size. And their age will be about 25 years if kept in a proper size tank.

A proper size tank and the minimum under all circumstances is 100 gallons.

These fish also require a good water parameters, fast flowing water like their natural habitats, and they like rocks drift wood and plants to swim in. Also they need to be kept in a school or 6 or more.

Now a 8 inch Clown Loach is quite small. More than likely it has been stunted and will not live a long and healthy life. Or it has not reached it's full size.

Please don't keep Clown Loaches in that range of tanks. It is cruel and not natural for the fish.

As fish keepers we should try to imitate the native environments of fish we keep. But not keeping them in incompatible tanks.

So no Loaches are not alright in a 46 gallon tank. But other Loach species re, like Kulies, Golden Zebra Loaches, and many more, that only grow to 5 inches.

Hope this helps,

mac

mac
10-27-2008, 09:09 AM
I now have 3 peppered corries, had 4 but one died. There is also a rubber lip pleco and an upside down cat in the tank, will adding more cories result in too many bottom feeders?

You would be best to take the Pepper Corys back and get 2 or 3 more Up-Side down CatFish.

These fish like to be in a group because they are very social. So the more you have the better they are. That way you will have a nice group of bottom dwellers and have happy healthy fish.

Now to answer your question it is not a problem with the bottom feeders, but you will need to supply a good amount of variety of food for them all. they all have diffident food needs.

mac

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I have to disagree here. There is nothing wrong with having your pepper coreys but I would have about 6.

mac
10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I have to disagree here. There is nothing wrong with having your pepper coreys but I would have about 6.

The reason I would have to disagree with you is because the Up-Side down cat fish grow larger than the Corys and need to be in a school. So it would be better to remove the Corys and get more up-side down cat fish.
And one thing the Up-Side Down Catfish can grow up to 4-5 inches, and having 3-4 of these fish you are looking a 16 inches of fish it total, and these fish are much more active than the Corys, so that increase the amount of room they need.

And also another thing with having a pleco, in the tank you would want less fish, so that there is very little toxic waste build ups. Because the Plecos no matter what type are very good at producing large amounts of waste.

mac

abaigael04
10-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I guess I would say IF stocking were an issue, though - I'd take back the upside down, and get more cory's... and I fully agree with you about the Clown Loaches... especially in an aquarium lamp?