PDA

View Full Version : Smallest tank for betta companion

Gabi
01-10-2007, 05:47 AM
I really want an invertebrate, maybe a ghost shrimp or a snail for cleanup bottom. I have a (don't laugh) 1gl tank right now and I wanted a bigger one for many reasons but really cannot accomodate too much bigger either :-(

-So, what would be better, snail or shrimp?! (I assume the betta cannot really 'eat' the snail but do they climb out or something?!)

-If shrimp, can I get just one or do they like to socialize?!

-If so, what's a reasonable volume tank?!

OK, do I have any questions left: For the size you recommend, what's the best filtration system?! Right now I have UGF.

Thanks all!!!

kimmers318
01-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Each betta is different as to whether they will accept any tankmates, but you should be safe with either of the above. My Rainbow picked at snails when we first got him but has decided they are too boring for him. He leaves the panda cory alone. Shrimp have a very small bioload so you could possibly get away with maybe even 3, but that would depend on your water maintenance and how stable your water parameters are. If you check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and don't see any spikes in ammonia or nitrites, and your nitrates stay low between water changes I would start with 2 or 3 shrimp or one snail of some type that doesn't breed by easily or you might soon be overrun. Someone else can give you ideas for snails since I choose to have them breed for my puffers. Around here snails are food not pets:18: . Check out petshrimp.com for information on how many shrimp you can have in 1 gal and go from there. If it was my tank I would feel safe adding 3.....if all stayed stable you might even be able to add more later. Shrimp can be fun to watch, and hopefully you don't end up with a betta who likes to munch them.

Abbeys_Mom
01-10-2007, 02:12 PM
My only recommendation is that you don't buy an apple or golden snail.. They will get far to large for your 1g.

Drumachine09
01-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Arent golden apple snails an endangered species?

jeffs99dime
01-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Arent golden apple snails an endangered species?

no way! they are considered pests by many nations including the u.s. golden apple snails destroy crops, mainly rice paddies

Drumachine09
01-11-2007, 02:18 AM
hmmmm i cant remember where i heard that. o well.

Drumachine09
01-11-2007, 02:22 AM
I have a (don't laugh) 1gl tank right now and I wanted a bigger one for many reasons but really cannot accomodate too much bigger either :-(

Everybody Has to start somewhere. My first was a 1.75 Hex. Now my guppy fry nursery. A nice steup up would be a 3 or 5 gallon tank. They are small, but bigger than your current setup, and equally easy to maintain.
:thumb:

Glasstapper
01-11-2007, 04:39 AM
I'd say try the shrimp first, as well. That way if he eats them, then it was a nice meal for him and then you would find out that he doesn't want tankmates. ;)