PDA

View Full Version : Best algea eater for discus?

domjd05
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
What is the best kind of algae eater to keep with discus? I already have 2 small clown loaches, and plan to get more... But should I keep a pleco, or a conventional asain algae eater? which is best? I had a pleco but he was eating my plants and getting too big

Fishguy2727
10-01-2008, 04:39 PM
I have amano shrimp and a gold nugget pleco in my 75. Bristlenose plecos are great.

domjd05
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I thought gold nuggets were more of an ornamental pleco? the discus wont eat the shrimp? that is interesting... any other suggestions?

Fishguy2727
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I have heard that some discus will, but I think that is the really huge ones, none of mine have bothered the shrimp. I have ghost shrimp in with the pair and amanos in the 75.

The gold nuggets are a fanicer one and do lean more toward meaty foods, but my 75 is spotless. They do eat some algae, just not as much as something like a common.

domjd05
10-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm not really crazy about pleco's, they grow so fast and destroy my plants... what about the traditional algae eaters? I'm not sure what they're called officially, but they used to be very popular.. are they as bad as I've heard?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-02-2008, 12:38 PM
If you are talking about Chinese Algae Eaters then yes, they are as bad as you have heard. Bristle Nose Plecos don't grow to fast and destroy plants, they are excellent algae eaters and one of the best choices for a Discus tank.

Holyvision
10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
SAIMESE algae eaters are way better than CHINESE algae eaters. Otos are also good little clean up guys.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Some people have actually reported having problems is Siamese Algae Eaters with Discus due to their high energy level. Because they are so high energy some Discus actually are stressed by their presence in the tank. That's not an everyday thing, just something to be aware of as a possibility.

Holyvision
10-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Some people have actually reported having problems is Siamese Algae Eaters with Discus due to their high energy level. Because they are so high energy some Discus actually are stressed by their presence in the tank. That's not an everyday thing, just something to be aware of as a possibility.

Ahh, knowledge gained! I stand (well...sit..) corrected!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Not corrected, because your are right, just cautioned. LOL

domjd05
10-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the advice, a co worker of mine has a brittlenose and loves it. I think I will get more clown loaches, and try the brittlenose, thanks for the advice!

The Wedge
10-03-2008, 01:04 AM
I hope you have a huge tank for clown loaches...they get extremely large in relation to discus

domjd05
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
The clown loaches I get are very small, maybe an inch. When they get too large for the tank my dealer will take them, and I will get new baby ones :c12:

sailor
10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I have 2 albino bristle nose and 2 rubberlip plecos in my 75 gal discus tank, and they do a wonderful job of keeping the algae at bay. Every once in a while I hi- jack a couple of clown loaches from my 125 gal tank to go on a snail destroying mission. Once they have completed their tasks they go back to the big tank.

dean30bb
10-04-2008, 08:04 AM
i have some bristol nose and corys in with my discus and theres is enouf of them to keep the algey and crap off the bottom and glass

domjd05
10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
eating the algae is not the real problem, I have only small amounts of it in my tank.. It's find an algae eater that doesn't destroy my live plants and get to large so fast.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-06-2008, 11:40 AM
It's find an algae eater that doesn't destroy my live plants and get to large so fast.

That's not too difficult at all. You've been given a number of good suggestions that will fit the need quite nicely.

domjd05
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
sounds like the bristlenose is the way to go. thanks everyone for the input.

LORENZO
11-22-2008, 10:40 PM
:c3: Discus welll i had two lovley plecs and they picked on them so i moved them. I have large siamese in and angle tank and they get along wel in there. But i wouuld love to know what fish could go with discsu to eat algae. Small otos would work but you might need 15 of them. I find cories work just fine. Have you found brislenoses work better. They get to be 4 inches i think. i have one in another tank. I find them busy though with discus.
I have amano shrimp and a gold nugget pleco in my 75. Bristlenose plecos are great.

LORENZO
11-22-2008, 10:43 PM
That's not too difficult at all. You've been given a number of good suggestions that will fit the need quite nicely.

what kind of bristle for a discus tank? i think an albino would work well rather than a brown bristle. They seem more docile.But.. i have had no luck introducing plecs with disucs. Angels are great with them. i have put alot of albino cats and cories assorted in with six discus in a big tank. The bottom does not get dirty. Cats are good for being quiet and clean.