PDA

View Full Version : Out of wack water parameters!

Severus
01-10-2007, 03:15 AM
I just finished my water test for this week and the readings were horrible!! All of my fish seem to be doing just fine. If anyone has any information or suggestions on how to get these readings back into check, please let me know. I have listed the numbers below.

pH: 6.5
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 150 !!!

Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2007, 04:05 AM
What happened! Please test your nitrates again because this number is just messed up. Your tank looks like it's cycling. Is it? If it is already cycled, then you need to do a gravel cleaning and a big water change to get rid of those nitrates. Have you add a bunch of new fish lately?

Severus
01-10-2007, 05:07 AM
The tank has been running for about 5 months. I did a big water change and will do one again tomorrow and test again. I have added new fish - there are 4 barbs and a pleco that are new.. This has got me really angry.

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2007, 05:56 AM
The new fish may have caused the ammonia spike but those nitrates! Man. I don't know how anything can survive with nitrates that high. Getting a new filter will help, for sure, but for now I would clean the gravel good and not feed so much for awhile.

Severus
01-10-2007, 05:59 AM
ok. thanks hobbs. i am so mad this happened

Cichlid_Man
01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Just slow down and relax here.
I know it makes you angry, but this happens.

My tank when into a min-cycle after months of operation too.
I don''t know how or why, but it did.

I am not a big fan of large water changes, but in this situation, it is a must.

75% changes every day until the nitrates go down.
Ammonia and nitrite should also drop.
Do Not change your filter media until you get back to where you were.
I would take Hobbs' advice and maybe add filtration?

Please try and keep the new water going into the tank during changes at the same temp as the tank water.
Your fish are vulnerable with your water chemistry being off and they can contract Ich or something else.
Please keep us posted.

Severus
01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
THanks a lot for the help everybody. I am going to do a water change later on today after work. I was just talking about buying a fluval or eheim canister for this tank as i felt it needed more filtration. Everybody in the tank still seems to be doing just fine .....weirdly enough. I will keep you posted!

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
yeah. it sounds like you're going through a mini cycle

Severus
01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Thats what i was thinking. Maybe the new fish i added threw my tank off

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
when you clean the filter/filters do you clean them together?

Severus
01-10-2007, 02:56 PM
no, i usually only do one part at a time. I dont want to destroy the bacteria colony...
I just want to go to work get home and do a water change and try to bring these levels back to normal.

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
no, i usually only do one part at a time. I dont want to destroy the bacteria colony...
I just want to go to work get home and do a water change and try to bring these levels back to normal.

sorry. had to ask. i figured you didn't clean the filters at the same time. just trying to explore all posibilities though.--jeff

Severus
01-10-2007, 09:07 PM
haha yea. Totally understood. I am going to go do a water change right now

Severus
01-12-2007, 09:00 PM
OK i have some good news regarding my situation. My water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: .2 Roughly
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: about 60ppm
ph: at a constant 6.8 for the past two days.

Im glad things are improving and for whatever reason all of my fish are fine, which i find to be a miracle. Im going to do another 50% water change tommorow and test the water again. Hopefully this will all be under control soon

jeffs99dime
01-13-2007, 12:01 AM
OK i have some good news regarding my situation. My water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: .2 Roughly
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: about 60ppm
ph: at a constant 6.8 for the past two days.

Im glad things are improving and for whatever reason all of my fish are fine, which i find to be a miracle. Im going to do another 50% water change tommorow and test the water again. Hopefully this will all be under control soon

yeah. it should cut your levels in half:thumb:

Severus
01-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Yea, hopefully tomorrow i can get things all perfect

jeffs99dime
01-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Yea, hopefully tomorrow i can get things all perfect

hope it works out for you. if not, just remain persistant--you know!