PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Betta Splendens

bec1984
01-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi i was just wondering if some one could help me?

I am interested in breeding Betta Splendens (aka the siamese fighting fish)
I was wondering what the best way to go about it would be?.

Thank you for any help given.

William
01-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I recommend that you read the two articles below. I will be happy to answer any question you might have afterwards.
Betta breeding 1 (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid55.html)
Betta breeding 2 (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid238.html)

DemonShark
03-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey I'm having trouble with breeding my bettas and i tired bout everything i dont know why they wont breed and its drving me crazy! is it becasue of my tank or soemthing else? i noticed that the surface of the water always has bubbles and i think its from my stone diffuser can soemone help plz?

DemonShark
03-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Never mind my female died

William
03-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Sorry to hear that.

Madc0ws
04-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi there,
Sorry to butt in this way but I've just taken up betta breeding as a hobby and Im trying out my first pair unsuccessfully.
I introduced the female by placing her jar next to his bowl for a couple of hours, my male seemed to get excited (flairs at her & all) and she also shows interest in him and for a while he builds his bubble nest but it's very fragile and quickly dissolves away.They failed to spawn and the female ended up with battle wounds. latter she expelled her eggs in her own jar.

Is there a malnutrition problem with my betta?I feed him specially made betta flakes which both of them enjoy very much.

@Demonshark:That's bad news about the female dying,sounds like the same thing that I've experienced happened to you,gotta keep an eye on both of them frequently when mating and remember to give her a good place to hide.

P.S. What does it mean when the female displays horizontal lines (not vertical) across her body?

William
04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
It is always good to var the diet a lot when breeding Betta allthough it doen't sound like malnutrition.

horizontal lines are usually a sign of stress or fear, not suprising considering what she went through.

Did you use any circulation in the breeding tank?

Hopefully your Betta femal will be ready for a new attemt soon. perhas as soon as in a week.

Madc0ws
04-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Thank You, stress or fear huh?It makes sense but what bothers me is she often shows these horizontal lines even when out of the view of the male.

Circulation? If you mean any pumps causing water movement? No,none,I've done my homework to the point where Im aware as to provide a tranquil water envirnment .

I'm starting to wonder if my male betta is getting to be a bit too old, I got him last winter and he then was already more or less fully grown(not sure his actual age though ) & I've heard they live around two years.

I'm sure the female didn't get hurt that bad,all she has is a nip on the forehead,chin and fin.I took her out as fast as I could but was it normal for her to expell the eggs in her jar?Was it the lack of a solid bubble nest the reason she didn't mate?

jnmrcs
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Maybe you need to help him puttin something to help the bubble nest. I heard of something like a cup of stylofoam (sorry, english is not my first language and I can't remember the exactly word right now) floating in the water.

DemonShark
04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
yes something that will float on top of the water will help the male and im afraid my female died not when she was with the male but in her jar stress i think caused it from transferring her from jar to tank

Madc0ws
04-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Oh well I'm going to hold off a week and then see what happens, if he fails to make a bubble nest again I'm going to the store to get another younger stud.Thanks for the tips guys.

William
04-27-2006, 05:13 AM
They do bring up a good point. Floating plants and other things where the male can anchor his nest is important and could have been the problem if you didn't have any but you might also be right about the age of the male. He is absolutly not as his prime as a stud any longer.

Madc0ws
04-27-2006, 01:52 PM
BTW, just a quicky.
Is it ok if I remove both the male and female immediately after breeding?What I mean is will the eggs still hatch outside of the bubblenest even if they lay at the bottom of the bowl and the temperature a constant say 85 F?

Full3R
04-27-2006, 02:24 PM
The male usually needs to tend to them also to just adjust things not just picking up fallen eggs

jnmrcs
04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Also I read that temperature must be between 80-82 F.
I don't know about this but maybe you should take it a little down.

William
04-27-2006, 08:56 PM
ITs best to leave the male in. He keeps fungus from the eggs, fans fresh water over them, picks u fallen eggs as Rollie said etc. You will get much fewer if any fry if you remove him.

Madc0ws
04-28-2006, 11:57 PM
OK thank you for your help william & everyone else. 8-D

rickoic
06-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I bought a female betta the other day. Placed her in with another female to fatten up and she tore the other females fins to shreads. Took her out and placed her in a lamp chimney that is in a 2 gal aquarium with a male swimming outside. They flair up at each other and the male has a nice nest built. But I'm worried because she flairs her gills just like a male although her fins are short and she looks like a female. (Beginning to wonder if she's a butch).

Haven't seen this behavior in a female before and was wondering if it was natural?

Tks
Rick

William
06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Males can sometimes look like females. It is not that common but some males develop their finage very late and some never do it.

Females can also be aggressive so hard to say anything for sure.

rickoic
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Well I figured there was probably only one way to test (it), so I released them together. In just a few seconds my male was missing part of his fin so I figure I've got a late developer, or just a short fin male on my hands. They are separated again now and flairing at each other.

Tks
Rick

rollie
06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
they are now produceing male with short fin. they been for quite awhile now.

her fin should stay short. this could be what you got.