PDA

View Full Version : texas cichlids

Full3R
01-09-2007, 02:52 AM
i bought a young texas cichlid about4 inches long and i was lead to believe that they are agressive but when i arived home with my fish i realised my 55 gal was leacking so i could not set up my new cichlid tank beacause of a huge crack in the bottom so i put it in with my community fish for the time being he is about the same size as my read headed cichlid and they did a quick inspection of each each other with a tail slap and then a 2 second jaw lock then let go and swam there different way and since then they dont even give each other a bad look but he has not harmed my plattys, ghosts, brsitlenose, silver dolalrs, angels, or anything esle in my community tank he just fits right in hes already knows how to eat i put several blood worm blocks in and they all swarm it and he does the exact same without harming any of the other fish spose its just his individual personality

Fishguy2727
01-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Give him time and some size and he will tear them up. I have had some cichlids behave themselves with smaller stuff when raised with them, but long term it is not likely to be one big happy family. Get that 55 replaced asap.

Full3R
01-09-2007, 03:34 AM
oh i plan to
the red headed cichlid is the toughest fish in there he bears the scars of being in a tank with to many agressive fish when he was younger, he keep everyone in line any new fish he inspects and thats why he faced of with the texas he protects the fish in his tank

kimmers318
01-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Do be cautious....as reptile stated, they can grow up to be quite mean. Hubby bought what he thought was a juvenile jack demsey (was even labeled as such) who turned out to be a texas cichlid who became the tank terror with his oscars. The last straw was when this guy had his oscars cornered even though they were bigger than him....Hubby got rid of the texas. Maybe being picked on in their younger days is what has led them to mess with the pleco so much????? They love to harass our large pleco and then when he has had enough they seem to enjoy playing dodge 'em with him as he tries to head butt them:14:

jman
01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
really really really cautious!
too many accidents round here! dont want ya to make the same mistake.

good luck to ya

Full3R
01-14-2007, 06:45 AM
he seems fine now, strangley, hes paired up with my juvi read head, and only now that the texas is here the red head has decided to start growin lol, and the red head always protects the other fish and the convict who has live in with the community since he was free swimming (she sorry) is really placid to

Nautilus291
01-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Im glad your fish are doing allright. How is that 55g tank comming?

Full3R
01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Wrecked, it shattered in the end im buying a new one soon

Drumachine09
01-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Wrecked, it shattered in the end im buying a new one soon

Ouch thats got to stink. Have fun re doing everything though!

jman
01-14-2007, 10:27 PM
good luck to ya