PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys keep your temps at in your tanks?

chronic
09-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I bought my oscars some feeder fish last week, and now they have ick. So another leason learned.

But anyway, I started treating it with ick guard and like last time I used half strength because of the plecos. But I decided this time I would use my heater and raise the temp a bit. Over the course of the afternoon I raised it from 82-ish degrees to 84-86 and despite the medication, in the temp...My plecos really like the warmth!
I've never seen them so active. Im sitting at my computer with the tunes turned up and most of the lights on and they're both swimming together eating my plants. Normally the small guy only comes out at night when most of the lights are out. And the big guy just sits behind a rock assuming because he can't see me I can't see his tail.

Oscars are their usual energetic selves, but I thought it was interesting the plecos are being so social.

Would that be a bit too warm to keep it from now on, maybe more around the 84 degree mark?

Lady Hobbs
09-30-2008, 01:04 PM
You do not raise temps with medications but you do with salt. Medications cut back on oxygen and so do higher temps so you don't want to do both.

chronic
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Not even with heavy areation?

cocoa_pleco
09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
i keep my 90g at 86f. havent had a fish get sick in the tank ever. my canister filter doesnt aerate so i have to run a airstone constantly, i lost a tinfoil barb from no aeration when i first got the filter

reefs ive always kept at 82f but with my 125g im trying 78f.

Halelorf
09-30-2008, 05:27 PM
My 55gallon dwarf cichlid tank is at 82f and my saltwater tanks are at 80-81f.

troy
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
I keep my tank at 78*F.