PDA

View Full Version : Pleco and Oscars

Northernguy
09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
My 2 Oscars are about 4" long now and I want to put a pleco in with them for glass and bottom maintenance.They have never been fed live food yet, if that makes a difference.

Is there any particular kind that could go with oscars?

chronic
09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I haven't been 100% trusting of the people at petsmart lately... However when I bought mine, I asked the girl if it would be fine to keep them with my two common plecos. And when I told her they were 7-8 inchs, she thought it would be fine since they keep to them selves and are larger fish.

And I dunno... Even the larger tiger oscars they have at the store there, they're probably 3-4" long and they keep two wee little plecos in there.

But like i said, I've been apprehensive about the info I hear from some people at pet stores.

Fishguy2727
09-29-2008, 10:09 PM
What size tank?

Most of the time their contribution is not worth their additional waste (LOTS of poop).

kaianuanu
09-30-2008, 02:43 AM
hey i grew my old oscar from a 3" to 8" with a 2.5" pleco that never grew hardly at all, but he saw it as another tank ornament not a tankmate or a territorial threat. also i find it better to have a bunch of poop on the bottom than a bunch of algea all over. I reccomend you get on thats like 5" i got a 5 incher for $7

OscarFan
09-30-2008, 02:46 AM
It varies on your tank size. But usualy a pleco can hold his own if hes of similar size.

kaianuanu
09-30-2008, 03:56 AM
yea they are tough little guys i havent tried it but i swear that they could live in tap water JK, and also, just look at their armor all over them their so cool

Northernguy
09-30-2008, 08:16 PM
I have 2 oscars in a 35gal. Don't bite my head off its only for a few more months.I got a tall fin pleco,if thats the name.Kinda brown with white spots.My Oscars are about 4 1/2" and so is my pleco.I'll post pics later.
I am in the process of getting at least a 150gal. I'm hoping they are male and female .They seem to get along really well still:1luvu: ,my two puppys .lol

CAllain
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I did once see a scary picture of an oscar that decided to try to eat a pleco that was almost his own size... They managed to surgically remove the pleco, but afterwards the oscar couldn't close its mouth any more so both fish ended up dying.

It should be OK if the pleco can't fit in the oscar's mouth, but if at any point it can you could be in for some trouble.

johnl
10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I've got two O's (6" and 10.5") in a 125 with a snow king pleco (6") the larger O and the pleco have been together for almost two years with no problems. The smaller O was added about 2 months ago and he doesn't bother the plec either.

I think you'll be ok in the larger tank but I wouldn't wait too long to set it up. Small tanks have a tendency to increase aggression because of size limitations. The O's may start to pick on the plec just because of cramped quarters.

Gayle
10-01-2008, 09:24 PM
I would suppose it depends on the pleco, and the Oscars temperament. I am sure that is you have a large enough tank, and keep the Oscar well fed he would probably leave the pleco alone. IDK for sure. LOL I know I would not mess with mine, those spikes look brutal, and they do hurt if he brushes your hand. But I do not have any experience with Oscars. So don't trust me. LOL

Northernguy
10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I just priced a 6'x 2'x 2' tank,540.00. Not bad less than i thought.I am waiting to here about the cost of just the glass.

BigMac
10-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Many years ago I had a very large oscar and a very large, sold to me as, leapord pleco. (it was more like a common with revers markings ,pokadotted)

The pleco could make the oscar back off, no problem. His spines and armor are a real threat.

If you tank will hold them, I say go for it.

Juannie
10-07-2008, 11:08 PM
I've had (until today) a large common pleco with my large oscar, jaguar and brasiliensis, I've now got my smaller gibby (still big enuf) in with my oscar and brasil.... they live well together, Red (Oscar) gets the grumps every now and then and pushes them around but they don't take any grief from him.

Just make sure it's big enough and ensure the temperament of your oscar isn't badly aggressive and you'll be fine - mine LOVE ZUCHINNI

Northernguy
10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the tip!I have been wondering what to feed him that he will actually eat.I put a spinach in there yesterday and I can't find a trace of it today.

Thanks all for your input!:19:

BigMac
10-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't currenly have a pleco.. the one I want is a reverse marked but I think it will eat my plants.

Mine always ate zuchini. I would put 1 slice a nite in the tank. No blanching no sinking just float it in there.

Once they figure out what your doing, they will swim up, grab the zuchini and drag it to the bottom and hold it there while they eat it. They will leave the outside ring for you to clean up in the morning.

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I will try that!:19:

Gayle
10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Mine loves zucchini too! I peel it and cut it in medium sized chunks. I let one float at the top, my Gouramis appear to like it too, and then put one at the bottom of the tank somewhere. You have to anchor it pretty good. It is pretty funny to see a pleco swimming upside down, eating the zucchini. LOL

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I usually stuff one end of a piece of peeled cucumber in a small konk shell .As a matter of fact, thats how i feed lettuce and spinach to my snails!:c3:

dean30bb
10-10-2008, 02:31 AM
i have 3 oscars at 5 inch with a 4 inch well he was a 4 inch he grew quick in my tank but there all fine