PDA

View Full Version : something strange in my tank

brent3369
01-09-2007, 12:45 AM
I set up a 25 gallon tank with 4 trapdoor snails, about 20 rosy red minnows, and two calico fantails. I have two stones from a local lake that I hoped would grow algae, but the minnows keep them clean. This tank has been running since before Xmas. I just noticed on one of the stones a mass about 3/4" round and about 1/16"-1/8" thick. It looks like fussy eggs. I have never seen anything like it and would like to know if anyone would know what they might be?

Drumachine09
01-09-2007, 12:50 AM
eggs of some sore maybe? could be the snails. Any more details?

jeffs99dime
01-09-2007, 12:51 AM
well, if it's a true japanese trapdoor snail they aren't the culprit i can tell you. trap door's are live bearing snails and do not lay eggs. can you post a pic?

Drumachine09
01-09-2007, 12:54 AM
oops. Forgot that part.

brent3369
01-09-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't have a digital camera, yet. I have been observing it, or them, since I posted. The mass appears to have hairs that retract when particles fall into it or a fish swims by. Some times it is a few hairs, and some times it is a patch of hairs that retract. They extend again soon after they retract. It would have the same type of movements found in some reef critters. If i can find a camera, I will get a pic to post.

Drumachine09
01-09-2007, 02:08 AM
ITS AN ALIEN!!!!!

jk, im shooting blanks on this one.

kimmers318
01-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Sounds really cool though! Sounds like you picked up something with the rocks or the fishy inhabitants brought it in. Did you do anything to sterilize the rock before putting it into your tank?

brent3369
01-09-2007, 02:27 AM
I am guessing it came in on the rock. I have never seen this in the wild. Do I get bonus points for the most unusual creature introduced into an aquarium? ...lol.

AquaQueen
01-09-2007, 04:28 AM
It does sound kinda cool and creepy at the same time i got willies while reading this post. I am curious as to what it is...sounds weird. I hope you can post a picture soon.

Sasquatch
01-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Well, this is just a shot in the dark, but they could be hydras. If the rocks came from the wild (and you didn't sterilize them) that's probably where they came from.

There not too dangerous, except to any baby fish. There should be some treatments out there if you want to get rid of them. Don't try to scrape them off though, I beleive that the bits will each eventually turn into another hydra.

Abbeys_Mom
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
IMO I don't think you would notice a hydra. They are very small. I'm puzzled too, but I want one, sounds neat!

brent3369
01-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Here is the pic. Hope it works, it is my first atempt.

AquaQueen
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Wow..it is odd looking...but cool in a way too. Unfortunetly I don't have a clue as to what that may be but I am going to look it up and see if I can come up with anything. If someone else don't already know. You have me really curious now!

jman
01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
wow dude that's crazy haven't seen anything like it-
it definitely looks like it came from the rock.

can't wait to find out what it is because i can't find it.

jeffs99dime
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
it "could" be a decaying peice of food or something that is growing fungi.

Sasquatch
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Weird lookin'!

It could be a colony of hydra's. When the hairs retract, is it in response to a particle touching them? If so, it's probably not a fungus or some sort of rot.

Is there such a thing as a freshwater anemone?

Drumachine09
01-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Hydras are microscopic. That couldnt be it.

Glasstapper
01-10-2007, 12:54 AM
I am guessing it came in on the rock. I have never seen this in the wild. Do I get bonus points for the most unusual creature introduced into an aquarium? ...lol.

You get a million bonus points! :) I think we're all puzzled on this one, for sure. Definitely keep us updated on this thing. We're all interested in what it does.

Drumachine09
01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
ITS AN ALIEN!!!!!

jk, im shooting blanks on this one.

If it does turn out to be an Alien, i SOOOOO called that one.

Abbeys_Mom
01-10-2007, 01:07 AM
http://mycology.biotec.or.th/Current_Research/Diversity/FreshWaterFungi1.html
It could be fungi. I would remove it and treat with fungus meds.

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 02:33 AM
If it does turn out to be an Alien, i SOOOOO called that one.

yeah. lol

brent3369
01-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I won't be removimg it. I know it isn't rotting food. I want to see what it does too. It is interesting to watch the hairs retract when something comes in contact with it.

Incredulous_Ed
01-13-2007, 11:24 PM
ewww
that's pretty weird looking.

Drumachine09
01-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Any updates?

brent3369
01-14-2007, 03:48 PM
It's growing. It is slowly spreading across the rock. It will be interesting to see what happens. Any I.D.'s from anyone yet?

Drumachine09
01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
You could take a picture of it, or put the rock in a bag of aquarium water and take it to your LFS to see what it is. Dont take it to walmat/petco/petsmart, because 98 percent of the people there have no idea what they are talking about.

twiztid1980
01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah I'm inclined to think its a cluster of Hydra as well. Here is some info on them.
http://www.northern.edu/natsource/INVERT1/Hydra1.htm

jeffs99dime
01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah I'm inclined to think its a cluster of Hydra as well. Here is some info on them.
http://www.northern.edu/natsource/INVERT1/Hydra1.htm

that's a good link. very informative!

shibby
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
"Hydra are commonly found hanging inconspicuously from vegetation or from the water's surface film in most streams, lakes, and ponds. Fully extended, its tentacles sweep the water for its prey, sometimes extending to a length of 5 cm. They consume small crustaceans, insect larvae, worms, or other tiny animals. In aquaria, they will thrive on any similar live food being fed to small rainbowfish fry - including the fry. Any aquarists who feed copious amounts of live brine shrimp nauplii will eventually find their tanks carpeted with hydra."

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Hydra.htm

This might be of some intrest. :)

Abbeys_Mom
01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Has it eaten your fish yet? I would be feeding the thing, seeing if it eats peas and stuff, lol.

Incredulous_Ed
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Just don't stick your hand near it, it could eat it!!

Glasstapper
01-23-2007, 04:53 AM
apparently what you have is pretty rare. They say most people won't even notice there's hydra unless there's an infestation of it.

got any more recent pictures to compare against the old pic?

cocoa_pleco
01-23-2007, 05:23 AM
they sound kinda cool

cocoa_pleco
01-23-2007, 05:25 AM
wonder if any stores sell that hydra. Ive got a uninhabited river by my summerhome. Ill check in summer to see if theres any of the stuff.

brent3369
01-25-2007, 01:46 PM
here is an update. See if I can post a pic again.

Abbeys_Mom
01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Ewwwwwwww It's growing!

Glasstapper
01-25-2007, 07:24 PM
wow! What are you feeding that thing?

Hey, there's one way you might be able to test to see if it's a hydra. Try cutting some it off and see if it makes two of those things. If so, then you could sell them to people who prefer to keep tanks with strange and unusual things in it. Just an idea.

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2007, 05:23 AM
i'd buy some in a minute

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2007, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=shibby]". Any aquarists who feed copious amounts of live brine shrimp nauplii will eventually find their tanks carpeted with hydra."

Im kinda confused, or dumb. so is this saying if i feed my fish brine shrimp ill get the hydra or is it saying hydra eats brine shrimp and will grow cause of it?

[

AquaQueen
01-27-2007, 03:32 AM
wow that thing is spreading very fast..as asked before what are you feeding that thing? Has it eaten any of your fish?

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 03:46 AM
Brent or anyone from canada- you mind sending a piece of hydra to alberta??
i'd really appreciate some!!!!!!!:ezpi_wink1:

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 04:15 AM
I was researching diseases and stumbled across this on a guppy page. It's about hydra in case you wanted some more info on it:

ENEMIES
Hydra
This little creature, anywhere from a third to one inch in length, is illustrative of how the guppy hobby carries us into related bypaths. Hydra are often introduced into aquaria with pond water and have become the "number one" enemies of guppies. To call them animals may seem like stretching a point if we judge from their appearance. A whole chapter could be written about them-here only the high spots. The animal attaches itself with a sticky substance to the glass or an object in the water. It cannot swim but it can move by a looping movement. The free end of the body has a conical projection called a hypostome on which its mouth is located. At its base is a circlet of long tentacles, five to ten in number. The hydra pulls the fry to its mouth by means of the tentacles, after interesting devices called menatocystshave caught it. Some of the menatocysts contain long spines in long rows. The prey is pierced and paralyzed by the spines which inject poison. Other cells have thread tubes in them which can lash out and wind around any protuberances on the fry to hold it securely, aided by a glue-like substance which it secretes. In a daphnia culture hydra create havoc. Hydra, when at rest, contract into soft balls. After eating, too, they retract into irregular globular forms. Because they reproduce both by budding and by fertilized eggs, hydra breed very rapidly. They are difficult to eliminate from a tank by washing it or even drying because their eggs have a hard outer shell which resists both drying and washing. The contents of the shell come to life quickly once favorable conditions are established.
A heavy infestation of hydra can destroy or retard the growth of many fry both by killing them and by eating their food which starves them. Hydra are easily seen protruding from their attachments and swaying about.

Treatment: (1) Hydra cannot stand chlorine or heat. If you have city water, remove the fish, drain tank and fill with fresh water. Return guppies two or three days later to the tank. (2) Remove fish, raise water temperature to 105' for 24 hours. When the water has returned to normal, return the fish. (3) Use of ammonium nitrite or ammonium sulphate at the rate of 5 grains per gallon of water will destroy hydra. Dissolve crystals in small amount of water first, then pour this solution into the larger tank. In 3-5 days all hydra will be dead, the guppies remaining unharmed by the solution.

Drumachine09
01-28-2007, 04:17 AM
I still dont see why anyone would want one of those things.

brent3369
01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Pleco...I would love to send you a piece. Not sure if they would freeze, or if freezing would kill them. I love the unusual. It is interesting to see how things grow and reproduce. The hydras were unintentional, but I also raise daphnia and vinegar eels.

cocoa_pleco
01-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I think i read that live hydra can come off dead hydra, and I doubt it would die comin here