PDA

View Full Version : Monster Filtration?

freshspecbluegt
01-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi all,

I recently set up a 20 gal tank and it cycled well and other than a run in with some ich things have been going great. So far I have stocked it with 5 platys and 2 pygmy catfish (can't remember the exact name, their of african origin).

The tank is running an undergravel filter using airstones in the lift tubes and an aquaclear 30 HOB filter. I knew going in that the UGF was not a popular choice but my dad has had great luck with them in saltwater tanks before so I figured I would use them. The filter has been working great so far and with regular gravel vacuuming the substrate is staying nice and clean (I have black gravel so any debris really looks bad). But after doing some reading about reverse flow undergravel filtration I am really intrigued, I think the combination of the HOB with reverse UGF using sponge pre-filters on the powerheads would provide a monster filtration system for my 20 gal. Tons of mechanical and biological filtration= crystal clear water and very happy fish right?

How would I determine what powerheads to buy? I don't want a crazy flow rate that is giong to blow my catfish of the bottom of the tank but my UGF cam as two separate plates so would need to run two powerheads. I think this might be overkill as far as filtration but I figure you can't have enough, any opinions?

Drumachine09
01-09-2007, 12:47 AM
sound like you are going to have quite the setup eh?

jman
01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Good Luck!