PDA

View Full Version : 6 gallon little brackish setup, your thoughts?

Stoob
09-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi I have a 6 gallon setup with all the essentials, light/hood, good submersible heater, bio wheel filter.

I was wondering if I could go brackish with it. This is my initial thought:

1) Put a chunk of driftwood in it
2) 1 tbsp aquarium salt
3) Drop the water down a few inches from the top

Proposed new Inhabitants:
1) One fiddler crab (he could get some air by crawling up the driftwood out of the water)
2) Either 1 bumble bee goby -or- maybe a pair of Platys or Swordtails or Mollies

Old inhabitants:
Does Java moss and the little Otisinclus (sp?) algae eater do okay in brackish? Should I move them out?

Do you think this would work out ok?

Stuart

Halelorf
09-29-2008, 02:05 AM
I would get a hydrometer so you can get the specific gravity closer to brackish conditions of 1.016 and use marine salt instead of aquarium salt. I'm not sure about the algae cleaner or the moss, they probably won't survive in brackish waters. The rest sounds great though!

troy
09-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Aquarium salt is used for treating fish for some illnesses not for brackish aquariums. I would go with just one bumble bee goby and nothing else. Otos can't live in brackish waters, but the plant will be okay.

kaianuanu
09-30-2008, 02:32 AM
yea dude gobies are sweet

johnpeezy
09-30-2008, 06:02 AM
6 gallon +salt = unstable.

Just go for a bigger tank man if your trying to maintain a salinity of 1.016 evaporation alone could mess you up rather quickly in a 6 gallon. Heck it could do it in a 20 gallon too.

Sounguru
09-30-2008, 07:12 AM
It is tough to keep a small volume of water like that stable on the salt level as mentioned... But an over looked factor is that brackish means tidal and most brackish species are used to large swings in salt content. So if you want to do it here is what I would do once maybe twice a week do 20% water changes, with every change vary the salt amount from none to 1.018 on a hydrometer also as mentiond. This will give the effect of tidal influxes and I found helped my 62 brackish tanks inhabitants to become more active.

Oh and use sea salt....

Stoob
10-01-2008, 05:12 AM
Thanks for all your messages people. As I sort of expected, there are a wide variety of opinions on what is the proper salinity and now stable the salinity must be.

One thing for sure is that if I try this I will move the Otisinclus to my other freshwater tank. And I appreciate knowing that Gobies are cool. I have never owned one and will probably give it a try.

cocoa_pleco
10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
salinity isnt that hard, i successfully ran a 5.5g nano reef with a oscellaris clown and a clown goby without any problems. you just need to keep a slightly lower salinity if you know you cant keep up with evaporation

sanddigger
10-18-2008, 12:39 AM
In your 6g bw you could keep 3 0r 4 BBG's, (six or more is better) just keep lots of small rocks so they can claim territories. They do better in groups. Maybe add some ghost shrimp for cleaners. Keep the SG from .08 - .12 and make sure to use ocean salt. BBGs are a great start for BW and they are fun to watch with their grumpy little faces.

I have had my BBG"s for close to three years and have the SG flex (slowly and back again no more than two psu at a time) from .08 to .15. They aren"t suppose to have a life span of much over three years so I'm quite happy.

IMO the refractometer is the way to go. If you look hard enough you can find one that's not quite so costly. I found mine on E-bay. Plus I figured buying the RFM was a good investment because I will go to SW eventually.

Another plus for BW is you can flex the SG, alittle and no harms done.

Happy swimming in BW.