PDA

View Full Version : Who was the culprit =(

Holyvision
09-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Woke up this morning to 6 dead Cherry Shrimp in the tank, one of which had eggs =,(

They had been in there fine for a while.

My stock is:

Otos,
Cories,
Red Minor Tetras,
One clown loach I'm holding temporarily (another week tops).

The tetras are the newest stock, I figured they would be fine since these were full grown shimp, and larger than the mouths of the tetras.

Anyway, not that the knowledge helps my now since I think all the others are prolly dead elsewhere, but who would do this in the tank?

My final stocking plans are:
5 otos
5 peppered cories
8 red minor tetras
2 blue rams

What inverts would be ok for this tank to help clean?

Red
09-28-2008, 03:15 PM
i think maybe the clown and that sucks man :(

Holyvision
09-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok well, I just found the loach dead -- and one of the otos is looking a little "lazy".

Water parameters are dead on, and there's plenty of algae to munch on.

The only think I can think of is suffocation -- I just changed the tank on my Co2, perhaps it's choking them..????

I suppose it could of been a mini-cycle from the tetras...but my parameters are fine now...

Red
09-28-2008, 03:20 PM
throw in a airstone and keep close watch

Holyvision
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
throw in a airstone and keep close watch

Will do, I actually just found 6 cherries on TOP of my lettuce plants..meaning they are out of the water. lol. I mean...I suppose the "bodies" could be shedding shells...but I mean...it looks JUST like a shrimp, all meaty looking too. I guess they could of shed and are hiding until they harden?

Loach is definitely toast though.

Red
09-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Loach is definitely toast though.

yeah maybe just keep in eye on everything.. and whos loach was it?

Holyvision
09-28-2008, 03:33 PM
yeah maybe just keep in eye on everything.. and whos loach was it?

One of my friends got hit by Ike bad, and his basement flooded, ruining all his tanks. His fish were swimming around the flooded basement and such.

I grabbed one of his loaches and a pleco to hold for him; until his tanks are re setup and re cycled again. Loach could of already been stressed or something, but he's been fine in my tank for about 1 1/2 weeks now. I guess he could of starved...but I feed algae wafers and frozen + freeze dried...so unless he was ONLY eating snails and ran out...

Starting to think the shrimp were screwing with me, I keep finding more of them hidden on the lettuce plants. I left the "body" that had the eggs on it, hoping the eggs are still alive -- I hid it in some moss.

Algenco
09-28-2008, 04:11 PM
the clown will wipe out your shrimp, no ifs and or buts about it

angelcakes
09-28-2008, 04:14 PM
the clown will wipe out your shrimp, no ifs and or buts about it

agreed there!

sorry about the loach but i would say that stress from the moving about possibly helped in him being toast :ssad:

Lady Hobbs
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Small shrimp are a snack for fish. It could be the tetra's as well.

toddnbecka
09-28-2008, 07:25 PM
It's unlikely that fish would kill shrimp then leave the bodies w/out eating them. Shrimp tend to be more sensitive than most fish, clown loaches are too for that matter, though they seem a little tougher than shrimp.
What kind of test kit/s are you using to check your water parameters?

Northernguy
09-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I surprised anything survived swimming in that water.
Too bad about the fish!

Holyvision
09-29-2008, 12:46 AM
It's unlikely that fish would kill shrimp then leave the bodies w/out eating them. Shrimp tend to be more sensitive than most fish, clown loaches are too for that matter, though they seem a little tougher than shrimp.
What kind of test kit/s are you using to check your water parameters?

API kits, of course!

I'm starting to think the shimp was a false alarm -- I had no experience with them molting before, and I think they just coordinated it to molt at the same time -- because right now I can find about 12 of them on 'top' of my lettuce plants (yes, out of the water).

Dunno what happened to the loach, examined him post-death and he looked fine, all I can figure is it was some internal thing I didn't catch.