PDA

View Full Version : Cycling new canister filter?

chronic
09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
I have searched... and I've found some mixed results which I'll leave be for now.

I have a 55 g tank with two common plecos and two baby tiger oscars. I know, its too small for them. But next year once I'm finished this semester of school. Im going to get a bigger tank. This tank was free, so its not a huge deal. I was just told wrong info from my local pet store about oscars and that being a 55g would be fine for two...Anyway!

I decided in the mean time to opt for a canister filter since it sounds to be a better piece. I have an old aquaclear 500hob right now, but I bought the older model fluval 404. Generally, it sounds like a good filter.

Now, I'm just wondering how I should go about getting it cycled.

I read a few comments saying you can run the new filter in the tank, while the old filter is still running as well so that as the new pump builds bacteria, you still have a healthy supply off the old unit.

I cleaned it all, put it together and set it up last night and I have been running it since. Water parameters are good, maybe a bit high on the ph end.

I'm just looking for some tips since I've become pretty trusting of the users on this site.

Is this an ok way to "break in" the new filter?

Thanks guys!

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Just set it up and leave your old filter running for a couple weeks, as well. Not a bad idea to have two filters running all the time.

chronic
09-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Cool, thank you :)