PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Angelfish

kufan
01-08-2007, 03:57 AM
I was wondering if there is an easy way to tell the difference between male and female angelfish that are young. I've got a pair of angelfish and am hoping that there is a way to tell what sex they are.

Thanks.

Lady Hobbs
01-08-2007, 04:22 AM
No can do. No way to sex them young or old. You have to sit back and wait to see what angels pair off and breed. That's why it's recommended to start with 6.

kufan
01-08-2007, 04:30 AM
Well I have 2 right now in a 30 gallon tank, so would another 4 be ok?

Thanks

Lady Hobbs
01-08-2007, 04:40 AM
If they are small but they won't be small for long. I have only 2 in my 30 gallon but 7 more in my community aquarium waiting for my next tank and then will move them all. When they do breed, you will most likely have to move the pair as the get pretty aggressive to the others in the tank and you won't be able to raise fry in with all the others, anyway.

Maybe you should stick with just for two for now? They get about 7 inches high with those dorsal fins. 10 gallon per angel is preferred.

stubbytheplecostomus
02-08-2007, 05:11 AM
there is a way to tell the difference in angel fish! it takes a trained eye, one of the dudes in my club is an expert angel fish breeder (his whole house is filled with tanks, literally all of them with angel fish) some things hes mentioned on sexing them are, females will get fatter in the "stomach" area, males sometimes develop a more hump like forehead while a females will be almost straight, lastly the area between the ventral fin and the anal fin on a male will slant upwards from the anal fin to the ventral, while in a female this will be level giving a female slightly more of a hunched over look. all these signs become more apparent with age, some of them may not necessarily appear in all cases, but they are good starting blocks, just stare at a bunch of angels and you should be able to figure it out! good luck!

Algenco
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
there is a way to tell the difference in angel fish! it takes a trained eye, one of the dudes in my club is an expert angel fish breeder (his whole house is filled with tanks, literally all of them with angel fish) some things hes mentioned on sexing them are, females will get fatter in the "stomach" area, males sometimes develop a more hump like forehead while a females will be almost straight, lastly the area between the ventral fin and the anal fin on a male will slant upwards from the anal fin to the ventral, while in a female this will be level giving a female slightly more of a hunched over look. all these signs become more apparent with age, some of them may not necessarily appear in all cases, but they are good starting blocks, just stare at a bunch of angels and you should be able to figure it out! good luck!

The method you mention is what worked for me. I set up 5 pairs that way