PDA

View Full Version : Betta Tankmates!

wendada
09-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone!

I have a betta in a 15g tank - it's cycled and heated and the whole shebang. I'm not home right now, so I can't tell you exactly what the filtering system is at the moment.

Henry has 15g all to himself, and I'm wondering, just out of curiosity, if there's anyone else I can put in there. I know bettas are probably happiest on their own, but I don't really know of any species they are generally compatible with.

I've also heard that it's really up to the temperament of the betta - I actually saw a betta that got along fine with like 9 goldfish (granted he probably wasn't healthy or happy in a goldfish tank). Anyway, just wondering, because I know this is the best place to ask.

cocoa_pleco
09-26-2008, 09:06 PM
personally i would add 6 albino or panda corys

Sharkman
09-26-2008, 10:01 PM
yes 6 cories would be the way to go. They are good tank mates with bettas.

Kayla-Bug
09-26-2008, 10:45 PM
I would say Cories as well all the way! They are peaceful and don't bother much.

Holyvision
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
I like the peppered cories ^^

Kayla-Bug
09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I just got some Albino Cories and I LOVE them!!!

themuffinbandit
09-27-2008, 12:38 AM
ooo... get a pleco. mine liked to follow the pleco around. until the pleco died in the move to my apt. =( now ive paired it up with one other female betta. they nip at each others fins, but they get along at times.

wendada
09-29-2008, 12:53 AM
okay!
I don't plan on moving them to a bigger tank any time soon, so i don't want to torture a pleco by putting it in a 15gal.

I've never really looked into corys - how big do they get?

Holyvision
09-29-2008, 12:56 AM
okay!
I don't plan on moving them to a bigger tank any time soon, so i don't want to torture a pleco by putting it in a 15gal.

I've never really looked into corys - how big do they get?

Depends on breed. Most are 1.5 to 2" max

OscarFan
09-29-2008, 02:02 AM
ooo... get a pleco. mine liked to follow the pleco around. until the pleco died in the move to my apt. =( now ive paired it up with one other female betta. they nip at each others fins, but they get along at times.

no no no even the smallest plecos dont elong in anything less than a 20g.You could also do otos if you substituted food.

troy
09-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Species not breed.

wendada
09-29-2008, 03:18 AM
no no no even the smallest plecos dont elong in anything less than a 20g.You could also do otos if you substituted food.

what's are otos?
I want to reiterate that the tank is only 15g - is that enough space for a few corys?

OscarFan
09-29-2008, 03:22 AM
its plenty for the smaller species of corys. Otos are otoclinus catfish (eat algae)

Gemstone
09-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Depends on breed. Most are 1.5 to 2" max

Ammm...plecos get quite big.....mine is still a juvenile...got him when he was about 4cm....and is now the size of my hand...in a year's time..and is still a gowing boy.....

CAllain
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Wendada, I have a 15g tank with 8 pygmy cories, and if the only fish you have are going to be cories and a betta you could probably get away with a few more - my stocking is 8 pygmy cories, 8 hengeli rasboras, and 2 dwarf gouramis. The dwarf gouramis were initially meant to be a betta but I got impatient waiting for one I wanted, so the other fish were intended to be betta tankmates.

By the way, the pygmy cories only grow up to about 1 inch, so they'd be great for a smaller tank.

Holyvision
09-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Ammm...plecos get quite big.....mine is still a juvenile...got him when he was about 4cm....and is now the size of my hand...in a year's time..and is still a gowing boy.....

Agreed that plecos get quite large; the questions was about the size of cory cats though =)

no harm no foul.