PDA

View Full Version : Where is a good place to get a betta?

Gayle
09-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I really love Bettas, and would like to get one. But, the Petsmart here keeps them in these little tupperware type containers in BLUE water. I have no idea why they do this, but it creeps me out. The other pet stores all seem to keep them in these tiny, and I mean TINY little bowls, no filters, no nothing. I just really do not feel like they would be very healthy. Ordering them online just seems strange to me, and I doubt they would be healthy after being shipped. So. What to do?

cocoa_pleco
09-26-2008, 02:24 PM
the blue in the water is a medicine kinda. as for where to get a healthy betta, try a local breeder

Gayle
09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Really? I figured it was just dye or something. So do they put that in there because they are sick? Or what?

cocoa_pleco
09-26-2008, 02:28 PM
just to prevent any general breaking out of disease during shipment, i believe its more of a preventative than a fullblown medication

Gayle
09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Cool. Learn something new everyday!!! Thank you!!

So then, how would I go about finding a breeder?

DragonGoby
09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
The blue est something call :Methylen blue...
It's against any bacterial or fungus attack... But it's toxic... don't try it with other fish than betta... and it's a killer against any invertebrate... So be careful to don't dump this in your shrimps tank...

As for a local breeder, look on fish forum or ask your local lfs... I've find mine in googling "betta" and "quebec", where I live... And I find that there's an association of breeder... Try to find if they don't do exchange fair... So you might have some luck this way...

Good luck and keep us informed.

Gayle
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Now that is super creepy! We use New Methylene Blue, to stain cells. LOL. Thank you for the info. I will google it! :)

Aude
09-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah - I would avoid chain petstore Bettas...still haven't recovered from the experience I had "rescuing" this pathetic little guy from Petco with hopes of saving him :( If In ever get another Betta, it will be from a breeder...no doubt.

invadertoast
09-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Petsmart near me started keeping a lot of their bettas in filtered mini-tanks, they are all lined up above the regular tanks in a long, narrow plexiglass tank with dividers in it. I didn't even notice they were there for the longest time.

themuffinbandit
09-27-2008, 12:40 AM
anyone know of a good breeder in san fran or penninsula?

s72450
09-29-2008, 12:23 AM
I have two from a local pet store that are doing fine and I have a community tank of females that I got from PetCo since they're the only place around that sells females, they all appear to be doing well.

Holyvision
09-29-2008, 01:09 AM
I always vote for getting a betta from a large LFS so that you can save at least one from it's doomed life in a tiny plastic cup or in some kids 1/2 gallon bowl with no filter.