PDA

View Full Version : Selaginella Wildenowii - Peacock Fern

rocaquarium
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Have I told any of you that I am kind of a dumbass? I always tell people "reasearch before you buy" and "know what you're getting before you get it." Sometimes I wish I'd listen to myself...

So I'm in Petco (mistake #1) and I see a bunch of plants on clearance. They are in those little plastic tubes that they sell plants in. They are marked "Live Aquatic Plant, For Freshwater Aquariums." They are cheap and look cool so I say what the hell and buy a few bunches.

Turns out the plant isn't an aquatic plant. It dies when maintained underwater. Oh well, maybe I'll make a terranium.

http://www.rocaquarium.com/images/selaginella_wildenowii.jpg

matthew.shelly
05-15-2009, 02:18 AM
really? this isnt an aquatic plant? dang. I just got a tube with 4 in it from petsmart today for like 4 bucks. i also didnt do any research about it first. i just went to pick some stuff up, saw it there, and decided to go for it since it was cheap. this is the second time iv gotten a plant from them that want aquatic it seems. do they even have aquatic plants? oh well, i guess ill just wait it out and see what happens...

Red
05-15-2009, 02:21 AM
all the tubes usually don't have aquatic plants in them..

troy
05-15-2009, 02:34 AM
I've gotten some nice amazon swords from them and I've seen anubius in those tubes.

Dave66
05-15-2009, 03:22 AM
I've gotten some nice amazon swords from them and I've seen anubius in those tubes.

Really means to research before you buy, as Troy obviously did, since he knew what he was looking at.

Dave

momchil
05-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Hey, how is your plant doing so far? Is it alive (underwater)?
I got that today... replacing another non-aquatic plant (javanicum fern)(Petsmart) with it...
:(
this seems so confusing... why would "TopFin" sell something as aquatic when it is not? Interesting...

violet
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I purchased several of this plant (hygrophila difformis (wisteria) from pet smart on 7/17/09 and have had much success with them. They have grown and are beautiful plants that I enjoy. They are fully submersed and have been for the entire time that I've had them. Not one of the plants have died... Maybe the water you have them in is too hard.. check into that.

Have I told any of you that I am kind of a dumbass? I always tell people "reasearch before you buy" and "know what you're getting before you get it." Sometimes I wish I'd listen to myself...

So I'm in Petco (mistake #1) and I see a bunch of plants on clearance. They are in those little plastic tubes that they sell plants in. They are marked "Live Aquatic Plant, For Freshwater Aquariums." They are cheap and look cool so I say what the hell and buy a few bunches.

Turns out the plant isn't an aquatic plant. It dies when maintained underwater. Oh well, maybe I'll make a terranium.

http://www.rocaquarium.com/images/selaginella_wildenowii.jpg

Wiggs
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I purchased several of this plant (hygrophila difformis (wisteria) from pet smart on 7/17/09 and have had much success with them. They have grown and are beautiful plants that I enjoy. They are fully submersed and have been for the entire time that I've had them. Not one of the plants have died... Maybe the water you have them in is too hard.. check into that.

The problem isnt that his water is too hard, its that the plant cant survive underwater

violet
08-31-2009, 10:54 AM
actually... mine (wisteria and peacock fern,both bought in tubes at pet smart) are surviving under water and beautifully I may add.... so why isn't his???