PDA

View Full Version : Turbo snail question

labnjab
09-22-2008, 04:11 PM
We picked up some turbo snails this weekend, and one seems to be missing. Do the burrow in the sand? also, Why do they call them turbo snails when they move very slow? lol

rocaquarium
09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Turbo snails don't really burrow, but they will get into tight little cracks and crevices. They can be difficult to spot sometimes.

As far as the name goes, the turbo snails are actually quite a bit faster and more powerful than the traditional, naturally aspirated snails. For a real boost you can try the bigger, badder supercharger snails or add a small shot of NO2 to your system.

labnjab
09-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I may add a blower and intercooler to them:hmm3grin2orange:, my apple snails seem to move faster then they do

One more questions, how fast do the reproduce? I won't end up with 2 dozen in 2 months will I. (I plan on haveing 10 in total anyways)

coachfraley
09-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Mine have never reproduced

Holyvision
09-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Turbo snails don't really burrow, but they will get into tight little cracks and crevices. They can be difficult to spot sometimes.

As far as the name goes, the turbo snails are actually quite a bit faster and more powerful than the traditional, naturally aspirated snails. For a real boost you can try the bigger, badder supercharger snails or add a small shot of NO2 to your system.

Hmm...NO2 into the system......

I'm pretty sure your bacteria in your biological filter would be all "What the **** is this crap?". Heaven forbid you have anything like Dianos in that tank, they might just go right through the glass.

labnjab
09-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Mine have never reproduced

good to know, I don't want a million turbo snails running around...lol

Alfcea
09-24-2008, 04:17 AM
...add a small shot of NO2 to your system.

What does NO2 mean in this case? Nitrite [NO2-]? Nitrogen dioxide [NO2(g)]? Or nitroorganics [R-NO2]? Why would these compounds be useful?

cocoa_pleco
09-24-2008, 04:19 AM
What does NO2 mean in this case? Nitrite [NO2-]? Nitrogen dioxide [NO2(g)]? Or nitroorganics [R-NO2]? Why would these compounds be useful?

NOS (nitrous oxide, used in street racing for a boost) it was kinda a joke. lol

http://www.freedomcycle.ca/images/NOS.jpg

Alfcea
09-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Oooops! There goes my nerdy personality shining through....:hmm3grin2orange: Sorry!

labnjab
09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Hmm...NO2 into the system......

I'm pretty sure your bacteria in your biological filter would be all "What the **** is this crap?". Heaven forbid you have anything like Dianos in that tank, they might just go right through the glass.

These snails could use some boost, although if my clown got ahold of some at feeding it might be a problem...lol I'm a fan of a supercharger myself...more power, no lag

Actually these guys have sped up slightly since I posted this, and I'm glad they don't reproduce like rabbits, I'm sure that would do more harm to a marine environment then a freshwater one.

Alfcea
09-24-2008, 02:29 PM
NOS (nitrous oxide, used in street racing for a boost) it was kinda a joke. lol

Nitrous oxide is actually N2O, not NO2, by the way...

cocoa_pleco
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Nitrous oxide is actually N2O, not NO2, by the way...

exactly why i had to take chemistry in summerschool in highschool:hmm3grin2orange:

rocaquarium
09-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm glad they don't reproduce like rabbits, I'm sure that would do more harm to a marine environment then a freshwater one.

Most snails prefer to lay eggs on a dry surface, normally the top of the tank where the water has disappearred from evaporation. If you keep the tank completely filled they are not likely to reproduce.