PDA

View Full Version : discus with forehead swelling

Keti
09-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a swelling on a discus forehead. This discus has always seemed somewhat Roman- nosed
to me, but just yesterday I noticed that he/she has a definite swelling just above the eyes on the forehead. It seems it may have just a touch of whitish coloring to it now. Otherwise he seems fine. ( I have treated my discus a couple of weeks ago for worms and they seem to all have recovered from that).

I do 2 water changes 25% or per week religiously and keep the planted 90 gallon tank they are in clean and maintained.

Thankyou,
Keti

Holyvision
09-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Sounds like classic HITH (Hole-in-the-head). You should do some good researching!

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1791&articleid=2586

http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles/fish-diseases/20.asp

There's a theory floating around that carbon in the filter can cause this, but it's not proven. I have read articles about people that used it, got HITH, then took out the carbon and it got better. Dunno.

dean30bb
09-22-2008, 06:46 AM
sounds to me like HITH its normaly caused from bad water quality i do 40% twice weekly and i havent ever had any problems

would it be possible to get your water parameters by any chance

thanks

-dean

Keti
09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for answer! Hole in the Head is pretty scarey. Have read on it some but will need to do more research to treat. Afraid of loosing the discus, not only the large investment, just really like the fish.
Thanks so much for the answer!
Open to any and all advice, pretty new to all this!

Keti
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Ok, with the worm problem they had- this may be it. But, isn't hole in the head- holes? and not swelling? I have never seen it before so... was wondering.
I am going to try the 40% water change rather than the 25%, sounds like a good idea.
Water has been checking out good (I thought) PH is around 6 (which is what I've read is good for discus) Nitrites, natrates and ammonia are all in line (0). Is there anything else I need to check?
Thanks!

dean30bb
09-22-2008, 10:15 PM
good all ur parameters are fine then thats a good PH for discus thats what i keep mine at.

sounds good do the 40% change and see what happends from there keep us updated