PDA

View Full Version : Dying neons

Full3R
01-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Every morning i wake up and i find atleast 1 neon tetra dead in my Discus tank, ever since i got the tetras some have been dying this morning i found 3 dead and they are not sick in anyway whats going on?

kimmers318
01-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Since discus need softer water (correct me if I am wrong) and tetras "thrive" in softer water, but is it possible the tetras were kept/bred locally and were used to harder water and maybe although in the end the softer water is better for them they might have needed longer to acclimate and go from the local ph to your lower one at smaller increments? It is possible that stressed them. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is the discus are harassing them (I don't know anything about their tempermants) or they just weren't healthy to begin with. Did you quarantine the tetras?

Lady Hobbs
01-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Discus need high temps off 88 degrees and if your temps are high enough for the Discus, it may be too high for the neons. Being a cichlid, I wouldn't trust it with a neon.

Full3R
01-07-2007, 02:23 AM
well at my LFS were i bought them they discus and neons were kept in the same tank at the same water parameters that i have in my current tank, i spose he could harrasing them being they are still quite small, maybe i should seperate them till they are bigger?

kimmers318
01-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Hmmmm, since they were kept in the same tank at the LFS I guess my ideas got ruled out huh?! Try asking the LFS owner if they regularly keep neons with their discus and if they ever have problems with them getting harrassed to death. If this is a short term situation at the LFS though, they may not even know or care if the discus kill the neons. You know the LFS and can decide if they are reputable about what they say about their own setups. Other than that, I am stumped. I don't really know anything about discus because of their low ph requirements I would not be able to meet their needs without a lot of expense and time, so although they are beautiful, they are not for me.

Full3R
01-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Mine is a lovely fish, and, Kimmers your were right, i caugh tht edicus nipping hte tails of my neons today so i think i will seperate them till the neons are bigger thanx everyone