PDA

View Full Version : Homeless shrimp

Aude
09-21-2008, 09:45 PM
So, I couldn't pass up on a deal I found online and will have 25 red cherry shrimp arriving in a few days. Now, my three ghost shrimp have gone relatively unmolested in my 12 g, and have been in for several weeks. However, I don't want to put all of the new RCS in and find out that my dwarf gourami has changed his mind about eating shrimp...so I was thinking about putting 10 or so in the 12 g and the rest...somewhere else...which is where the question comes in.

What would be the minimum specs required for 15 or so RCS? Heater? Filter? Tank size? Etc. My father has a whole mess of old tanks to choose from...but I have minimal room space right now, and the home might just be temporary.

I was also worried about the water....I only have a 12 g, but could I do a water change and dump that water in the new tank? The tank has only been established for two months...so I don't want to take out the filter from the old tank and stick it in the new one.

This is what happens with impulse buying. Questions, questions. Thanks, though, for the answers :-)

cocoa_pleco
09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
i would say minimum 5g with a sponge filter and 50w heater but if you can get a 3g with a filter and heater that works too. the water from the 12g will do nothing, you need established gravel or media

Aude
09-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Right..forgot about bacteria being in the gravel...thanks for reminding me. Can I put a layer of the old gravel down and stick some new stuff either on top or below or should it all be from the established tank?

cocoa_pleco
09-21-2008, 11:56 PM
you can do half and half

Sounguru
09-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Also watch your ghost shimp they can and will kill other shrimp....

Aude
09-22-2008, 01:14 AM
yeah - I only have a few of them...very small...but if they start acting up I'll have to move them out and into a new home.

Mvjnz
09-22-2008, 02:03 AM
I wouldn't use the gravel. Every time I 've started a new tank I've rubbed an established sponge thoroughly on the new sponge, and then immediately put fish in the new tank, and that has worked perfectly every time. No ammonia or nitrite spikes whatsoever.

Aude
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
What about if I rubbed the new sponge filter on the old filter media, as I don't use a sponge filter in my current tank? They should be here in two days...so what's everything I can do to make sure the new tank is safe by then for the shrimp? I've read inverts are very sensitive to water conditions, and dont want to kill anything!

Also, would a sand substrate be preferable to gravel?
Thanks again for the help.

Edit: also, (sorry..I'm full of questions) do I need a top on the tank? What about a light? There is a lot of natural light in the room...plus some lamps...but should I just buy a full hood setup?

Holyvision
09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
What about if I rubbed the new sponge filter on the old filter media, as I don't use a sponge filter in my current tank? They should be here in two days...so what's everything I can do to make sure the new tank is safe by then for the shrimp? I've read inverts are very sensitive to water conditions, and dont want to kill anything!

Also, would a sand substrate be preferable to gravel?
Thanks again for the help.

My cherries are fine with my black Flourite, they also look great on it, wonderful contrast in colors. Just noticed yesterday I have on carrying what appears to be a whole heck of a lot of oggs.

Aude
09-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Another question (when will they stop ?): I've been doing some research and apparently drip acclimation is the way to go when they arrive. But...how exactly do I go about this? What "equipment" do I need?

EDIT: I found this article on http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=379&theme=Printer

They list the needed equipment as:
1 5 gallon bucket ***
1 section of airline tubing
1 Air Control Valve
2 Suction Cups
1 Fish Net

Does this sound about right? Also, where do I go about getting an air control valve? (I do have the fishnet, ha)

korith
09-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Another question (when will they stop ?): I've been doing some research and apparently drip acclimation is the way to go when they arrive. But...how exactly do I go about this? What "equipment" do I need?

EDIT: I found this article on http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=379&theme=Printer

They list the needed equipment as:
1 5 gallon bucket ***
1 section of airline tubing
1 Air Control Valve
2 Suction Cups
1 Fish Net

Does this sound about right? Also, where do I go about getting an air control valve? (I do have the fishnet, ha)

The valve will cost ya anywhere between $1-4 and can be had pretty much anywhere they sell the other stuff. I think even walmart carries them.