PDA

View Full Version : Bettas are TOO smart!

invadertoast
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I have mentioned several times on this site that the girls in my community tank have learned to follow the cories around to find leftovers on the bottom. I thought that was pretty impressive, considering bettas are not well adapted to be bottom feeders.

Yesterday I noticed three of the four girls have learned a new trick - follow the cories when they're spawning and eat the eggs off the glass! I guess now I know why I've seen so many funny looking cory eggs and absolutely no fry (I don't really expect to have any survive but there's so much moss in there and so many eggs I thought I might see at least one sometime!) Two of the girls hide in the moss and wait for mom to come by and deposit her eggs, then they stick their heads out, chomp the eggs, and back themselves into hiding again. The third one literally follows them around like she's one of the boys trying to fertilize the eggs. It's pretty funny to watch, but kind of sad at the same time... when I set up my 20 long I might have to move the girls and give the cories a chance (though I really want cherry shrimp and I have a feeling they'd get a taste for those, too!)

These girls are rediculous... lol!

Kayla-Bug
09-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Wow. That's really smart of them to do, lol. Why don't you just move the cories?

invadertoast
09-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow. That's really smart of them to do, lol. Why don't you just move the cories?

I thought about that, but I was worried they might stop spawning... I dunno! lol

Kayla-Bug
09-21-2008, 07:22 PM
yea, I thought about that too. I would just do what you said then, lol. Probably easier on the cories too.