PDA

View Full Version : Spider plant?

Alfcea
09-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Hello there!

I was told in a pet shop that when spider plants -- terrestrial plants -- send runners, those runners, if small enough, can take root in water and will adapt to live submerged...

A quick search in Wikipedia seems to agree (but can you always trust Wikipedia? :22:), so I thought I would ask the experts first...

So, has anybody heard anything about this? Have you tried? Do you think the guy was just pulling my leg? If it is true, it sounds like a nice thing to try... though I would guess that (again, if it is true) the submerged plant would not grow neither as much, nor as fast, right?

Sharon
09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I tried it, a few months ago, and it took awhile, but they rotted. I have very little experience with plants, so I may have just screwed up...I chose fairly big spiderettes...maybe I should have tried the smaller ones.

smaug
09-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I have a spider plants growing next to me pond.Some of the runners have gotten into the water and those with wet feet have lived,those that got submerged died.

Gayle
09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
My mom used to slip spider plants in water, that worked very well, but they were never fully submerged.

toddnbecka
09-21-2008, 06:12 PM
If you have high light and CO2 injection they would last longer, but I don't know whether spider plants will live submerged indefinitely. Many of the stem plants kept in aquariums aren't actually aquatic plants, but given enough light and CO2 they will grow underwater.

Alfcea
09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys,

I think I'll pass on this one. I don't even have a spider plant, but I was just curious... Today I learnt some new things (now I can go to bed!!!). Thanks!

DrNic
12-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Looks like this post is completed but I pretty much agree with the people above. I've been cross breeding spider plants for while now (trying to get a pale white plant). Runners will take root in water but if they stay wet or submerged for too long they just rot and get really smelly. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone growing spiders underwater though.

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Spider plants are not aquarium plants. Same with arrow head plants. Also not a tank plant. We sometimes get angry at pet stores because they are selling these no-aquatic plants but they also carry plants for terrariums and ponds. Generally the worker at the store knows even less about plants than they do their fish.

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
PS.....after reading your thread, I ran around the house, cutting spiderettes off my plants and tossed them in my fish tank. LOL Thought I would see how fast they will root in tank water.

toddnbecka
12-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Tank water will support spider plants quite well, provided they aren't drowned. Look what it does for duckweed... LOL

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Tank water will support most plants quite well. LOL Nitrogen saturated water has a wonderful way of helping plants. :)