PDA

View Full Version : World's Fastest Cycle!!!!

NickFish
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I seeded my 90g with some gravel, and some filter media, and added pure ammonia to 3ppm. No plants either, just gravel and driftwood.

2 days....DAYS.... later, the tank is fully cycled. ammonia 0, I didn't even see the nitrite spike and nitrate at 15ppm.

Why?

Turns out my city has cut the water treatment budget in half. The water in my tap is already seeded with nitrifiying bacteria, so all the water that comes out of my tap will cycle a tank by itself. Just add water.

Isn't that amazing? And disturbing I guess, its why I don't drink city water.....:hmm3grin2orange:

So as long as I live here I never need to cycle a tank again. Who wants to move in with me?

FordForever
09-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I do! My gosh, how wonderful it would be to do a WC that adds more nitrifying bacteria. My 29G is stalled chugging along but I am waiting for those nitrites to drop. Congrats on the cycle!

OscarFan
09-21-2008, 05:34 PM
When can I move in???

gm72
09-21-2008, 05:38 PM
That's actually pretty common with a heavily seeded tank. With all of the available media and filters I have I get the same thing when I start up a new system. Pretty cool!

GeneralGoldeneye
09-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I do! My gosh, how wonderful it would be to do a WC that adds more nitrifying bacteria. My 29G is stalled chugging along but I am waiting for those nitrites to drop. Congrats on the cycle!

How long have you been cycling my 29 gal took 4 weeks to cycle

gm72
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM
4 weeks sounds about right for an average cycle. I find fishless cycles to be faster, maybe about 2 weeks. The only way to do a "near-instant" cycle is basically to add an existing filter to a new tank. The more tanks you have the easier this becomes.

cocoa_pleco
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
i havent had to cycle a tank in years, lol. i fully stocked my 90g when i got it because of a established canister filter

mrs fishpatrick
09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
can you please send 180 liters over to ireland:hmm3grin2orange:
(we don't get enough water here:hmm3grin2orange: )

Holyvision
09-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Ok so here's the plan: The entire AC community needs to live in between Cocoa (for his crazy tank deals) and Nick (for his water).

Ready? BREAK!

Tolley
09-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok so here's the plan: The entire AC community needs to live in between Cocoa (for his crazy tank deals) and Nick (for his water).

Ready? BREAK!

TO CANADA!

Gemstone
09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
4 weeks sounds about right for an average cycle. I find fishless cycles to be faster, maybe about 2 weeks. The only way to do a "near-instant" cycle is basically to add an existing filter to a new tank. The more tanks you have the easier this becomes.

:hmm3grin2orange: It's what I do when starting a new tank.....I basically stick the new filter into an old tank...let it do its thing...then after a few days..take the OLD filter out of old tank..stick into new tank..along with half the substrate....and voila...things speeded up very quickly....and after a few more days...just swop the filters around again... I guess it is the lazy man..or in this case..woman's...way of doing things....or that I am just too darn impatient for my own good...(says me with two filters running in two of my tanks at the moment...

Boertjie
09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: It's what I do when starting a new tank.....I basically stick the new filter into an old tank...let it do its thing...then after a few days..take the OLD filter out of old tank..stick into new tank..along with half the substrate....and voila...things speeded up very quickly....and after a few more days...just swop the filters around again... I guess it is the lazy man..or in this case..woman's...way of doing things....or that I am just too darn impatient for my own good...(says me with two filters running in two of my tanks at the moment...
:hmm3grin2orange:
And you should know after all these tanks we moved around the past few months.................:hmm3grin2orange:

Gemstone
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
:hmm3grin2orange:
And you should know after all these tanks we moved around the past few months.................:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh yeah.........*rubs aching back*....and still more that need to be done....eish

FordForever
09-23-2008, 12:46 AM
How long have you been cycling my 29 gal took 4 weeks to cycle

Six days...seeded with gravel and I stuck in a spare established HOB filter. The nitrites should drop any day now...

Mvjnz
09-23-2008, 01:18 AM
You added filter media, so the tank didn't need to cycle.

dean30bb
09-23-2008, 04:16 AM
that deffinatly would save alot of time lol

Alfcea
09-23-2008, 04:21 AM
You added filter media, so the tank didn't need to cycle.

Yeah, I totally agree with Mvjnz. It's not surprising that you didn't go through a cycle since you seeded your tank with both gravel and filter media!!!

NickFish
09-23-2008, 11:30 AM
That's not it though.

The water is actually laced with nitrifying bacteria.

I just put the filter media and everything in there because that's what I normally do.

But I can take any brand new tank, fill it with water, add a bit of ammonia and it will be cycled right there in a day.

fins_n_fur
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
It sounds like the folks at the water authority are fish keepers :hmm3grin2orange: