PDA

View Full Version : Lovin My(Hubby's) Oscars

AquaQueen
01-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I just wanted to share how I feel about being an "Oscar Mom"
I just wanted to start off with; I never wanted fish that eat other fish. I thought it was mean(I know part of nature) but still I didn't want the kids watching that...But now we are adicted...LOL... We have had our Catfish a while now but he eats at night when everyone is sleeping so it was not bad we see it but not the kids...
Now we have the Oscars and they are So awsome to watch.
Even the kids love to sit and watch at feeding time.
I was just going to shut the light off last night and found myself sitting in the chair stairing at them (no kidding like a half an hour went by). I can't help it they are so fasinating(as all fish are). I want to get some video footage of them eating I love it...for the most part they swim around peacfully but when it is feeding time they get some serious speed out of nowhere...I had no idea they were even this fast..and when they Suck a fish into their mouth it's like...OMG Did he just get one it disappeared so fast I dont know...LOL...But if you are not watching the whole time you will deffinatly miss out on something. I personally think these fish are GREAT! I was just wondering how everyone else feels about their Babies(Oscars) and if they feel the same as myself or whatever their feelings on these fish are. So PLZ do tell.

Lady Hobbs
01-06-2007, 05:48 PM
My son had Piranta's and Oscars in his tanks. Never wanted any others. He used to toss raw liver in the tank for the piranta's and keep feeder goldfish for the oscar.

Severus
01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
I love my Oscar. He is about 7" now and he is very interesting to watch. When i watch him, he watches me and swims against the glass looking at me. I dont feed him any live foods but he gets a very varied diet that he seems to like.

AquaQueen
01-06-2007, 08:06 PM
When i watch him, he watches me and swims against the glass looking at me.

I love that the oscars do that. They follow me everywhere I go when I am next to the tank. I always seen them to be mean and never took the time to realize their true beauty and how friendly they are. Great investment we mad in those guys. I hope ours get big soon. one is growing just fine the other is a bit smaller but still is growing.

AquaQueen
01-06-2007, 08:07 PM
My son had Piranta's and Oscars in his tanks. Never wanted any others. He used to toss raw liver in the tank for the piranta's and keep feeder goldfish for the oscar.

My Oscars are too small for golds right now..but they will be upgraded when it is time. We can hardly wait!

Full3R
01-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Are goldfish all you feed your oscars on? when my Albino oscar Finn was little i feed him on Mosquito fish, Bloodworms and fish flake, until he could eat beef heart and small frozen prawns he turned out with a peacful nature, then i got Chopper the Pink oscar, i fed him primarily on Feeders and he turned out super aggresive and he attacked Finn although Finn only has one eye he still fought back to defend himself resulting it chopper being pretty banged up so i had to sell him, so make sure your oscars dont start attacking each other, live food makes them Agressive, My red tiger oscar devil is Agressive from live feeders but hes calmed down since ive started giving him frozen food

Juannie
01-08-2007, 05:02 AM
I have one magnificent oscar, I've always fed my american's pellets, flake, frozen bloodworm, frozen beefheart, frozen cichlid delight. When I got him onto the Hikari Cichlid Bio gold he was a very happy chappy. The orange colour on him has brightened and he's very very playful now. My jaguar and synspilum love them as well, so much so that my jag is hand feeding.
Has anyone tried using beef heart or fresh livers from the butcher? i'm curious as to whether these are safe to try.

TehTANK
01-08-2007, 01:53 PM
My oscars are my children. I love them more then any pet I have ever had. It is sick...my wife says at least....I say goodnight to them every night before I go to bed. LOL Anyway, I have 2 oscars. You can see a video of them in the video posting area. They are my pride and joys. I love just watching them. I think they are the best fish to have ever.

jeffs99dime
01-08-2007, 03:22 PM
i like oscars too. they definitely have a unique personality! lol