PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lighting

AquaQueen
01-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Ok after speaking to some people yesterday I really want to hook up some sort of lighting to my Catfish tank so I can watch his night time habits. I already use a flashlight(I cover the tip with my hand)..but it still seems to freak him out. I would just like some tips on what type of lighting to use and how to hook it up if anyone knows. Thank you.

jeffs99dime
01-07-2007, 04:34 AM
you could retrofit blue l.e.d.s into your hood or canopy. or you could purchase these (same effect)-- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12110&N=2004+113544

blue fin
01-07-2007, 04:37 AM
Do you have a camcorder? Some camcorders have uv lamps on them for nightvision, if you have this you can turn on night vision and you should be able to see clearly, even though it will be pale green,

jeffs99dime
01-07-2007, 04:38 AM
you can also use a red lense flashlight
here's my tank at night time--

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/th_jeffsalbum153.jpg (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/jeffsalbum153.jpg)

i have since installed 2 additional leds and actinic lighting to simulate the whole 24 hour light cycle

blue fin
01-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Is that your " custom " light, I think I read a post on that last month, has 2 different lamps and led's too... Expensive though

jeffs99dime
01-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Is that your " custom " light, I think I read a post on that last month, has 2 different lamps and led's too... Expensive though

yeah. it can get pretty pricey. worth it i think though. if all you're running is leds though, it won't cost much at all

nraposa
01-07-2007, 05:10 AM
you could retrofit blue l.e.d.s into your hood or canopy. or you could purchase these (same effect)-- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12110&N=2004+113544

Jeffs Can These Light be used with all types of fish. Or will they bother some types.

NorthernBoy
01-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Leds will simulate night time. They are also called moon light sometimes. I have them installed on my saltwater setup(still yet to add water though) but have never considered putting them on my freshwater tank. You can buy them for not to much money and it might be a solution to your problem and they do not add any heat to the water which is a plus. I would be careful adding a full on salt water system lighting kit to a fresh water tank as the amount of heat produced and extra light may cause changes in your tank. Jeff is a quite experienced aquarium "jockey" so he can adjust for the changes. For a novice I would suggest trying the inferred flashlight or camara like was suggested prior.

MrKickalot
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
My light came with lunar lights when I bought it... didn't buy it for that but WOW... It's as simple as 2 LED's on the bottom of the light... and it lights my 110 gallon (30 inches tall). I would get them in a second. The rule of thumb as I have read is they should be no more than 2 ft bewteen them. Mine is 1 ft from each end making them 2 ft apart. I really enjoy turning off all the lights in the room a4nd watching them under the lunars.

AquaQueen
01-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I have decided that I am getting the LED's I hear all this talk about how cool it is and I just really want them now. So I am going to the store this week (I hope) and pricing them as I try to convince hubby that I "NEED" these for my tank...LOL...Thanks for all of your help everyone it is much appreciated.

Drumachine09
01-08-2007, 11:12 PM
L.E.D.s depending on their size and quality range from .50 cents to 2.50. You will also need wire, a power sorce, solder, and a soldering gun. If you need any help on how to assembly the rig, I can help, and since jeff did his own, i assume he can help too.

kyodo
01-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Hello all,
I am an electronics tech by trade and im happy to lend any assistance if need.
happy to answer and electronic Q's about leds..... Kyodo911@hotmail.com if you have any.
Dave

KneeKickLou
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I found a great solution for LED lights last night at PetSmart actually. It is a hub that you can plug separate LED light fixtures into. It will take up to 3 lights. The lights come in RED, BLUE, GREEN, and WHITE. They are completely submersible if you want the light to come from the bottom of the tank. I got 2 of the Lights and the HUB so I can add a third if I want. I didn’t get a chance to get a picture of how it looks but they are nice and very simple to hook up just stick them wherever you want. One think I did notice though was that if the LED is above the water level it makes more of a spot light but if you can drop it below the water level it covers the whole area nicely.

twiztid1980
01-17-2007, 12:49 AM
here is one that im thinking about going with price isnt bad at all..

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12760&Ntt=lunar%20lights&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Drumachine09
01-17-2007, 02:20 AM
I found a great solution for LED lights last night at PetSmart actually. It is a hub that you can plug separate LED light fixtures into. It will take up to 3 lights. The lights come in RED, BLUE, GREEN, and WHITE. They are completely submersible if you want the light to come from the bottom of the tank. I got 2 of the Lights and the HUB so I can add a third if I want. I didn’t get a chance to get a picture of how it looks but they are nice and very simple to hook up just stick them wherever you want. One think I did notice though was that if the LED is above the water level it makes more of a spot light but if you can drop it below the water level it covers the whole area nicely.

Sounds cool!

AquaQueen
01-17-2007, 03:00 AM
First off you light setups & ideas look and sound cool. I think I found what I want at a LPS it is a LED that mounts to my existing light I can get them in blue, red, green and white also. They can all connect to each other and they connect run off my light. It is $20.00 so I am gonna check out one more place. I called and they have some that are underwater LED's and they are charged from the hood light...sounds cool so I wanna check them out before I make my final decision. Wish me luck.

vdub
01-18-2007, 02:08 PM
i put lunar lighting in my tank and it works great! it even induced mating at night and i got a fry out of it! the great thing is it only cost me $20 :thumb:

vdub
01-18-2007, 09:33 PM
try this for lighting the companies name is Current and the product is Lunar Light (moon white) is the color. it says "research shows the use of lunar lighting helps stimulate spawning" hope this helps.... the price i paid is $19.99US:thumb:

palabared
02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
I already posted this in another thread, but here is an awesome moon lighting fixture that is fully submersable, with 35 leds and only costs 30$. i just got mine today, will post pics tomorrow

http://www.thehobbypalace.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_45&products_id=263

palabared
02-12-2007, 03:47 AM
here is a pic