PDA

View Full Version : Needle nosed gar

Nemogirl
01-05-2006, 02:23 AM
My needle nosed gar have begun to ram himself against the glass. I'm afraid he might breake his nose. :cry: What should I do?

William
01-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Broken noses in needle nosed gars are unfortunatly quite common as they tend to run into to glass every now and again. Best ways to try and avoid this is to keep them in a large aquarium.

canuckchris
01-10-2006, 05:23 AM
even when kept in a large aquarium they still do it if they happen to attack a feeder fish near to the glass since they attack forward with very quick speed

William
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Thats true but a larger aquarium reduces the risk for such injuries even if there still are a clear risk that the fish will brake their nose sooner or later.

I might add that the needle nose gar isn't real a Gar despite of its english name.

Dman009
06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
I would try to not make any sudden movements. Mine did just that and I had to put him out so that he wouldn't starve to death. I frequently noticed it would be skittish if I moved to fast.

The Needle Nose Gar isn't a gar at all, but it is actually in the needle nose family, which closely resembles a gar. They still look preatty sweet though

William
06-26-2006, 07:33 PM
It can be better not to limit your moments in the long run since the fish don't get used to movements in that case.

luckygirl
08-10-2006, 08:55 PM
It can be better not to limit your moments in the long run since the fish don't get used to movements in that case.i think u should spend more time with him and he well stop

Shep
08-15-2006, 02:00 AM
my gars did that when i first got them...come to find out that means they are stressed out from being thrown into a new enviroment

lefty
01-09-2007, 01:37 AM
How do you know if it breaks its nose?What do you do after it does?

ramichan2003@yahoo.com
05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Nemogirl,

It just so happens that this is exactly what happened with my lon-nosed gar. He lost the top half of his jaw and has not been eating. Of course now he looks pretty slender and does not look well. I took action and got him feed yesterday. I got a guppy by its tail, shook it a little, hit it against the aquarium a few times, giggled the fish in the water in front of the gar (and of course, with its normal movement, it got his attention) and it started going towards it. Of course he could see my hand and so was hesitant but once I dropped the fish in the water, Gary (that's his name by the way) attacked and got him. I don't know if his jaw will grow back (probably unlikely) but for now, I think this is what I'll do. My hope is that he will get big enough to where he can take care of himself.

cocoa_pleco
05-24-2007, 07:35 PM
lol, this is a old january thread. nemogirl isnt on anymore. Infact, the only person that posted that is regular is william, and hes the administrator! lol

good info you posted though!