PDA

View Full Version : Oscar + Oscar?

Cichla
12-09-2004, 07:38 PM
I would like my Astronotus Ocellatus to breed. How big should the tank be for two Oscars to breed? Is a 100 gallon tank suitable? (If the fishes are about 9 inches.) Any thing else I should be aware of? I've never done this before, so all suggestions will be very much apprichiated.

Has any one on this forum ever succeeded in breeding their Oscars?
:?: :?: :?:

Cichla
12-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Should I post this in the "Breeding" section of the forum instead?

William
12-11-2004, 02:24 PM
First of, this thread works just fine.

Then to answer your question. Breeding Oscars are not easy. Mainly because it's hard to get a good pair. I would say your aquarium is little bit to small to bread Oscars. It should be at least 150 Gallon.

If you have pair feed them a lot and a lot of different things and keep the water as clean as possible. It might also help to raise the temperature a little to 84-86 F.

Good luck and don’t forget to tell us if u succeed

Cichla
12-11-2004, 07:58 PM
[quote="William"]
Then to answer your question. Breeding Oscars are not easy. Mainly because it's hard to get a good pair.

Hmm. Is there any fish with simular breeding behavior, that is easier to pair? If I fail miserably with my Oscar-breeding I will need an easier fish to cheer me up. Getting back into the saddle, you know. ;-)

I'm currently planning on getting a new aquarium anyway, wether I succed with the Oscars or not. So, maybe I should try breeding some other fish first, and then advance to the Oscars? But not one of those who will spawn no mather how you threat them. I need a fish that requiers special circumstances to breed, just like the Oscars, but are not as difficult to pair....

William
12-12-2004, 07:37 PM
There is lot of easier species to breed. The easiest of them all are IMHO convicts. They are also open substrate spawners as many south and central American cichlids. And all have somewhat similar breeding behavior even if there are differences.

Personally I would like to recommend Managuense as I nice species that is relatively easy to breed and pair. However I know there are people that would disagree.

Cichla
12-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Why would they disagree?

William
12-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Because of a number if reasons.

Some would say they are hard to keep due to their aggression. Some would say that it's hard to get a good pair and some would say it's hard to breed.

Cichla
12-27-2004, 12:15 AM
But you have succeded breeding Managuense?

William
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Yes. A number of times.

The fry grows quickly and are very predatory and easy to feed right from the start.

If you would like to know more you can read this article I wrote about the species.

Parachromis managuense (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid171.html)

/William

Cichla
01-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Great article, thanx!