PDA

View Full Version : All my swords are falling apart!

smaug
09-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Holy cow!My amazons and my new rubins are falling apart.Last week the rubins were the picture of health,they had the perfect maroon color and the leaves had a solid healthy constitution.The past few days they are becoming transparent,brittle and full of holes.Im really doing nothing different,although I have been fertilizing a bit heavier with potassium,nitrogen and iron I haven't bumped up the excel though.I am also using api root tabs liberally.The only other change I can think of would be the ambient temp of the house,thus the tank temp has gone down 3-5 deg from 85 deg.My plants look so bad at the moment its sickening.Any ideas?

PUNISHER VETTE
09-20-2008, 03:51 AM
lol welcome to my world :14:

W_Oz
09-20-2008, 04:09 AM
I can't say that a temperature change will have that drastic of an effect on your plants. I also wouldn't think that a nutrient overload would cause this either. Didn't you dose your tank with Hydrogren Peroxide recently? If you did, that would certainly send your plants into a tizzy.

W_Oz
09-20-2008, 04:12 AM
Nevermind, that was ILMGB....

Holyvision
09-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Perhaps try cutting back on the nutrients a bit -- I know some of those root tabs say only once per month or two. Also, make sure you didn't do a water change and forget the de-chlorination =)

smaug
09-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I dont have chlorinated water.I was looking a bit closer today and its only the older leaves that are crumbling,they are not that old though.Does anyone know if high nitrates would cause this?I havnt had a nitrate test kit in a while and possibly could be too high due to dosing .Ill get a kit later and check for sure.Just looking for more input,where are you at GB.

TorqueWorks
09-20-2008, 01:45 PM
As soon as you see the leaves in that condition, prune them. I have noticed when nitrates get a little high it does do some goofy things with the plants. I agree with Holyvision, only do the root tabs when you see stunted growth or when you just planted a new plant (or clippings). If you give me your tank specs, I can give you a little chart similar to the one I use for my tank. I have had great success using it. I modified the one from Seachem.