PDA

View Full Version : 100s of new marine species

William
09-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Todays news:
Tongue-eating isopods and hundreds of other new species found in Australian waters

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../news/lib/134)
Sorry that I havenīt had time to post more than one news today.

Tigerbarb
09-20-2008, 04:52 AM
There are just so many marine species to be discovered. I'll bet you $50 we haven't even discovered 0.5% yet. Okay, maybe that's underestimating, but I just guessed.

Holyvision
09-20-2008, 05:48 AM
There are just so many marine species to be discovered. I'll bet you $50 we haven't even discovered 0.5% yet. Okay, maybe that's underestimating, but I just guessed.

It's always been a fact that we know way way less about the bottom of the oceans than we know about the dry-lands on our planet. That's saying something, considering the ratio of ocean to land...

William
09-20-2008, 11:28 AM

Depends on whether you include bacteria or not. If we donīt I think the number is higher. Their is a biOcean census program right now that strives to describe all marine species, Of course they will fail as they will miss species, especially deep sea species but the global project have brught the number of oceanic animals know to science to 120k. They think they are about half ways there.

Tigerbarb
09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Depends on whether you include bacteria or not. If we donīt I think the number is higher. Their is a biOcean census program right now that strives to describe all marine species, Of course they will fail as they will miss species, especially deep sea species but the global project have brught the number of oceanic animals know to science to 120k. They think they are about half ways there.
Bacteria can't just be left out of all studies. You can't find a drop of ocean water without thousands of them!

William
09-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Can´t argue against that.