PDA

View Full Version : To inject, or not to inject, Carbon Dioxide that is...

Myrrhlyn
01-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Hey everyone! Newbie here. I've heard that carbon dioxide injectors can really help freshwater plant growth in a tank. I have a 20gal with an assortment of plants, none of which have remained very green for more than two weeks. I've only had my tank for about 5 weeks and this is my first tank, so everything has been a learning process. I've tried to do some research on this, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Here's a list of just some of the questions I have. Is there a website out there that has the answers? Thanks so much in advance!

What different types of options do I have for CO2 injection?
What are the pros/cons of each?
What's the most cost effective?
What's easier to use? Are they automated or do I need to be around to turn them on and off?
How much is too much?
What are the side effects of having a CO2 system?
Am I going to kill my fish? Is it hard to maintain an equilibrium between oxygen, CO2, and what about ph, kh, effects of nitrates and nitrites etc?
Am I over thinking this whole thing?
Is there anything else that I need to know in order to make a well informed decision?

I'd love to have a lush aquarium in order to provide a nice place for my fish to live. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much to all!

Myrrhlyn

Drumachine09
01-06-2007, 03:22 AM
That seems like a good question for glass tapper. From what i can tell, she knows a lot about aquatic plants.

Lady Hobbs
01-06-2007, 05:02 AM
For a 20 gallon, I would not mess with the regulator, tank and all that stuff. Get yourself a portable outfit and make your own receipe for co2.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1501563/cl0/plantgroco2naturalsystem

twiztid1980
01-14-2007, 01:43 PM
b4 going the co2 route try using Flourish aquarium plant food. I too have a 20gal tank and am having great success even with minimal light and try plants such as (crypto coryn) not sure of spelling.