PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Fish Updates & Corrections?

Slinky_Bass
01-06-2007, 12:43 AM
"* The Lionhead have an egg shaped body and no dorsal fin. With EXTENSIVE breeding the fins are short and the caudal are divided. The head is covered with a raspberry - like head growth or Wen. The Wen grows slowly, taking as much as 3 years to complete . Lionheads are poor swimmers and can not compete with normally finned fish for food. Lionheads may have their vision obscured and breathing impaired by the degree of head growth. It is difficult for the fish to balance itself. It swims and eats slowly and gracefully. Some Lionhead have their heads pointing downwards when they are not moving. When swimming, they often turn somersaults.

* Blood Parrot Cichlids, which is thought to be a hybrid between the Red Devil and a Severum (this is similar to what creates balloon bellied guppies, mollies, and platies) are being dipped to produce Red Parrots, Violet Parrots, Blue Parrots, Purple Parrots, Green Parrots, Gold Parrots, and Yellow Parrots. The Blood Parrot is being bred not to have tails.

(parrots normally are gold when young and will turn red as they mature. Because you find a gold or red, does not mean it has been dyed as that is their natural coloring. Calico parrots are now being introduced into the market. Those are also not dyed.) Hobbs

* The butterfly discus, which are bred not to have tails (this makes it very difficult for them to swim).

(This can also be left up to debate as to how well they are able to swim. It has also been stated repeatedly that blood parrots have a hard time eating and this is also not fact.

It has also been reported that the lips of some fish are cut off as well as their tails. Also a false statement. Hobbs

*The lutino and albino morphs of the "Black Skirt Tetra" (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) are injected with dyes and fed dye laced foods as fry to produce blue skirt tetras, red skirt tetras, purple skirt tetras, blueberry tetras, grape tetras, strawberry tetras, patriot tetras, Halloween tetras, and mixed fruit tetras.

*Some "Skunk Botia" (Botia morleti) are injected with dyes and painted to produce purple, red, and blue loaches.

*Another botia, the blue loach or blue botia, and is not dyed - though a painted blue botia is now available. Apparently the natural blue wasn't blue enough.

*Painted Tinfoil Barbs (Barbus schwanefeldi) are available, though I could not tell the difference between the painted and non painted versions with three exceptions - the painted ones had a darker eye, the painted ones seemed to have difficulty seeing (they would bump into stationary objects in the water), and I could not get a painted one to live over three months...

Now I would have to ask, why would a person so against dyed fish, as I hope we all are, continue buying them? hummm Hobbs

*Red Painted Tiger Barbs and Green Painted Tiger Barbs are produced from gold, albino, and red color morphs of the Tiger Barb (Barbus Tetrazona) that have been injected with red and green dyes.

Do not confuse this statement with the Green Tiger Barb that is green naturally. Hobbs

*recently the Bala Shark (tricolor shark) is being dyed to produce a "Gold Bala Shark"

*Albino morphs of the Oscar are being painted to produce Blue Oscars, Red Oscars (though there is also a Red Oscar that is not painted), Yellow Oscars, Blueberry Oscars, Gold Oscars (though I understand that there is also a Gold Oscar that is not painted, but has a more yellowish tint to the normal salmon to orange coloration) and Purpe Oscars.

*Albino Palaetus and Aeneus cory catfish (Corydoras paleatus and C. aeneus) are being injected with dyes to produce colored spots on the top of the caudal peduncle between the dorsal and caudal (tail) fins. These are available in blue, green, red, orange, and purple.

*Honey Gourami are being injected with blue dye between the caudal and dorsal fins on the top of the caudal peduncle to produce a 'blue sunset gourami' and a 'green sunset gourami.

*Albino Plecostomus (Hypostomus spp.) are injected with dye to create the Blue Albino Plecostomus. This is the only color I have seen, however, I would be sure that there are green, pink, purple, yellow, and the other colors you see in other painted fish.

*The "Painted" Glass Fish is not a natural color morph. Small pockets of dye are injected just below the skin using a large guage needle. The puncture wounds inflicted on these fish must be traumatic.

The carcinogenic pigments used on the colored tetra and colored botia are stored in vacuoles in cells creating a faint background color. The more intensely colored areas are created by injecting the fish with more of the dye in strategic locations. The fish's immune system then proceeds to fight this infection until the dye has been removed from the system. This added stress makes these fish highly susceptible to any other infection which they may be exposed to, since they are unable to defend themselves from it.

Farm-raised salmon have been dyed pink.
The flesh of farmed salmon is naturally grayish. Wild salmon's brightly colored flesh is the result of the fish eating krill or other small crustaceans, says the British Columbia Salmon Farmers Association, a trade group.

I also find this statement inaccurate. Alaskan pink salman have a slight pinkish coloration to their bodies and the meat is pink. We buy it in cans at the store. Hobbs
http://www.mgfalaska.com/Graphics/pink.jpg

The Flower Horn Cichlid: A fish with a gargoyle-like head, the product of a Frankensteinian experiment, is raking in a fortune for aquarium fish dealers in the country.
Origin of Flower Horns:
Flower Horns originated in Malaysia between 1994-1996. There are many different theories of what was originally cross bred to create the original flower horns. Most seem to agree that it was a result of cross breeding a South American Cichlid and other types of cichlids. There have also been rumors of it beginning with cichlids and giant gourami's.

Though there are adversaries of the cross breeding origins of the flower horns, it gained popularity with many enthusiasts by it's attractive color and unique characteristics. Mythical beliefs further fuel the craze on that the Asian culture also tout the flower horn to bring it's owners good luck and prosperity. Today the craze is ever popular in South East Asia, and is quickly growing throughout the world! The more pronounced the bulge on the forehead, the costlier it becomes. Superstitious fanciers say the bulge symbolises good feng shui.

Origin
So far, the exact origin of the fish is unknown except by the ones who created it. But many researchers and experts believe that six cichlasoma-like cichlids were involved in assembling this fish. Cichlasoma trimaculatum (trimac cichlid), Cichlasoma festae (red terror), jingang blood parrot, Amphilophus citrinellum (midas cichlid), Amphilophus labiatum (red devil) and Vieja synspila (redheaded cichlid) are believed to be its parents. There are so many strains and breeds of flowerhorns today that it is nearly impossible even for an expert to identify what species were involved to create such a hybrid. Some flowerhorns are even dyed, and/or hormone induced.

Again we have a hybrid fish and the true origin of this fish is unknown and we are left with guessing and nothing factual. Though this was once a high priced fish and people were making serious money breeding these fish, they ended up also losing much money due to it's size and it not being a convenient fish for many to purchase. Hobbs

Due to several inconsistancies in this article, I have edited a great deal of it and have considered deleting it completely. Much of the information is outdated by 10-15 years and new information is available that is not reflected in the original article.

kyriele
01-06-2007, 04:45 AM
The blood parrot comes in a peachy colour through to orange and deep red. They are not injected or dyed. They call the peach to orange ones Red Parrots and the deep red ones are called purple. The fish that do unfortunately get coloured green and blue and violetish purple are the poor jellybean or bubblegum cichlids. They are a hybrid from the pink convict and in their natural state are whitish to very pale pink. Because they are so light, they are easily coloured. Darker coloured fish like the blood parrot are not so easy to dye, and since they are so bright, there is really no commercial necessity (in the breeder's eyes).

The albinos and glass take to the colours more readily and they show more vividly. I've seen some godawful tattooing done on the jellybean cichlids where they're left white with flowers or I LUV U or bright lipstick tattooed onto them. It almost makes me want to cry.

The controversy with the heart shaped parrot is whether or not their tails are being butchered before being sent to the LFS or if they've genetically been able to alter them so they're born that way. Half the people on one side of the fence post pictures of mutilated parrots as proof. People on the other side of the fence point to the cost in doing this to each parrot and having it recover before being shipped. Many people have claimed to see these heart shaped fish at a very young age with no injury to their back ends.

Although parrots, jellybeans and flowerhorns have been named the Frankensteins of the cichlid world, I think that name would be better left to the breeders and shop owners who perpetuate the ignorant public's ability to purchase this fish, thus causing a demand for it.

Rue
02-01-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm rather intrigued by the parrot cichlid...they seem to have a lot of personality...wonder if they do, or if it just seems like they do...

...but I have a big issue with dyeing fish...that's just terribly wrong...:(

*Sarah*
02-11-2007, 05:01 AM
I have no problem with these fish anymore than I do breeding a cocker spaniel and a poodle to get a Cockapoo or a Pekingese and a Poodle to get a Peck-a-poo. They are odd looking, for sure, but people seem to like them that have them. Since they can't close their mouths, they don't grab at their food but swim into it. They seem to live a long, full life so I have to believe it hasn't hurt them any.

Being a Dog Groomer and supporter of Registered breeders...I have a HUGE problem with people breeding mongrels on purpose. It is a very irresponsible practice...but I guess that's a topic for another forum :P lol

As far as the topic of dyeing fish, I think it's appauling. I would never intentionally purchase a fish (or any creature for that matter) that was tortured in the name of aesthetics. It does make me wonder if my "Emerald Sunset" Gourami is one of those injected. I'll have to post a pic sometime and see what you all think.

LD_Sorel
03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Just the other day I was in the fish store and I saw a tank of silver mollies. I went to take a look and noticed about a third of them had a pink heart outline on both sides. I asked the store owner (whom is a friend) if that was natural and he said that he got a shipment of the mollies and these ones were in there. They had been tattooed with pink heart for Valentines day or something silly like that. He was pretty choked as he does not support this kind of animal cruelty, but he didn't know what else to do with them but sell them with the rest. He won't being doing business with that breeder again.
The pooooor things I almost bought one out of sadness for them.

jeffs99dime
03-29-2007, 12:05 AM
OMG! That's the worst case I've heard of yet! That is out of control, shame on that breeder!!:cwmboom2:

someone should beat the breeder/breeders and then brand hearts into their sides. see how well they would like it.

MeganL3985
06-08-2007, 02:29 AM
I know this is a little late, but they have the "tattooed balloon mollies" at walmart right now. Stripes, hearts, polkadots, the works. Its disgusting that people do that to the poor fish and its disgusting that people will buy them from the breeders to sell in their shops. Not to mention there were about 3 dead ones floating around in the tank. I felt so bad for them.

puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 02:43 AM
I know this is a little late, but they have the "tattooed balloon mollies" at walmart right now. Stripes, hearts, polkadots, the works. Its disgusting that people do that to the poor fish and its disgusting that people will buy them from the breeders to sell in their shops. Not to mention there were about 3 dead ones floating around in the tank. I felt so bad for them.
I raised a bit of noise about them here too!

As for the Orange Blood Parrots - I have a couple and they do have pretty good personalities

a bit skittish and had to get dithering fish to bring out their personalities.

Severus
06-08-2007, 04:30 AM
Personally i think fish look a lot more "pretty" in their natural state. The designs on them are quite ugly.

And as for parrots, i dont really have an objection to them. I have heard alot of good and bad about them and my cousin has one of his own that is great. The dyed/painted fish on the other hand disgust me.

cocoa_pleco
06-08-2007, 04:38 AM
the worst dyed incident ive seen is by my summer home. a half hour drive away, theres a town called drayton valley and the only fish stores there are a lil mom/pop one and wal-mart. I went to the wal-mart one, ALL the fish are dyed. corys, tetras, cichlids, EVERYTHING

Tilmo2180
07-13-2007, 05:50 PM
WOW! I had no idea that fish dying was being done. That seems obsurd to me, that has to hurt the fish. Why not just observe the natural beauty of the fish, there is no need to alter them. I think that borders animal cruelty.

digger
07-30-2007, 04:48 PM
my hubby brought home a half dozen dyed parrots he didnt know any better we didnt know until i did some research on them that people were even doing that to fish ther color fades within a couple of weeks , ours turned into a peachy colour ,they are a very friendly fish they will come to the edge of the tank when i walk into the room they dont seem to have trouble eating the floating pellets i put in the tank they take the pellets into there mouth suck on it then spit it out repeatedly theyll also work on the algae wafer and they will eat flake food but there favorite is the frozen brine shrimp they dont leave any floating around in the tank and they seem to be really happy in with my comets they all swim in a school with my comets they had been in with my columbian sharks but werent happy in there now they are happy , healthy , and fun to watch .:15:

Darkstar824
08-16-2007, 03:20 PM
my dad and I were talking one time and he mentioned that he heard that in Japan (I think) they were injecting neon tetras with a gene that makes them glow in the dark, my dad said that was getting to be on the border of frankenstein experiments on fish, they got the gene extracted from some other aquatic animal (I don;t know which one) that does that naturally

mariposa
09-28-2007, 01:14 PM
my dad and I were talking one time and he mentioned that he heard that in Japan (I think) they were injecting neon tetras with a gene that makes them glow in the dark, my dad said that was getting to be on the border of frankenstein experiments on fish, they got the gene extracted from some other aquatic animal (I don;t know which one) that does that naturally

Im not an expert here but I believe there is some sort of algea that actually glows. Ok, I saw this once when I was down at Padre Island, its in Texas in the Gulf of Mexico. We were out on the beach and some of the stuff had washed up on some sea weed and it was night time so it was glowing everywhere! It was so awesome. I think, again I'm not an expert, but I think there is some sort of parasite that causes that..?? So maybe something of that sort is being used.?

CAF
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM

That would be danios, genetically modifed with Coral genes to floresce under UV for scientific studies of fish health and tracking in the wild. They are known as Glo Fish. I have some and think they are quite beautiful. Before anyone rants, please research them first.

CAF
09-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Im not an expert here but I believe there is some sort of algea that actually glows. Ok, I saw this once when I was down at Padre Island, its in Texas in the Gulf of Mexico. We were out on the beach and some of the stuff had washed up on some sea weed and it was night time so it was glowing everywhere! It was so awesome. I think, again I'm not an expert, but I think there is some sort of parasite that causes that..?? So maybe something of that sort is being used.?

phosphorescing phytoplankton... Look it up :ezpi_wink1:

mariposa
09-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Ahhhh ok. Thanks I sure will. I'll be googling phosphorescing phytoplankton in the near close future. That is really interesting. At least you knew what I was talking about. When I tell that to some people I dont think they really believe me. lol. OH well, their ignorance. :D

CAF
09-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Ahhhh ok. Thanks I sure will. I'll be googling phosphorescing phytoplankton in the near close future. That is really interesting. At least you knew what I was talking about. When I tell that to some people I dont think they really believe me. lol. OH well, their ignorance. :D
LOL sorry about the short reply earlier. I am at work and it sometimes limits my response... Unfortunately I do not too much about them other than they glow with a pale green light. I've seen the phenominia a few times and was interested in figuring out what it was called...