PDA

View Full Version : Betta suddenly died?

Debbie N
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I have a 2.5 gal tank with a filter and air stone. My betta has been living in there happily for about a year. He stopped eating but looked fine. Then he died suddenly, still nothing visibly apparent wrong with him. All this happened within 3 days. The only thing I can think of that happened is just before I did a major cleaning of his tank instead of the usual 50% water change. I thought one could do this with bettas. Should I do anything to the tank before adding a new betta? Thanks for any advice!

Kayla-Bug
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Bettas life spans aren't that long, and yours may have just been older. If this is the case, then I wouldn't worry too much about the tank. Just clean it once before you add another betta.

cathy_n
09-19-2008, 03:50 AM
I'm sorry your betta died. :(

I agree, he could have just been old. I think bettas get to be full size at around 6 months of age, so he could have been that old when you got him. Add another year and he was getting rather old for a betta.

s72450
09-19-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm very sorry that your betta died, I myself went through the same thing years ago.

I had Barney for nearly seven months and suddenly he stopped eating and within three days he was dead. I woke up and there he was floating on the top. I was very upset and didn't get another fish for years.

I honestly wondered if he had gotten depressed or something because I had another tank next to his with some goldfish in it who didn't last long and he loved watching them.

Gemstone
09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
sorry about your baby......but they have short-lived lives..you did not necessarily do anything wrong..:11:

Kayla-Bug
09-20-2008, 03:25 AM
sorry about your baby......but they have short-lived lives..you did not necessarily do anything wrong..:11:That's right. So go get you another baby to put in the tank!! And if I were you, I would check the stores periodically (if they aren't too far away) and see when they get new stock in. Try and get some of the males that are really small. Those are very young and will last longer than the adults they sell. That's what I did with my bfs betta and my betta. They are still alive and happy, and we have had them for months now. Good luck!

Gayle
09-20-2008, 03:40 AM
I am sorry for your loss. :(

Holyvision
09-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Sorry about your loss. :11:

fishiegrl
09-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi.

i was very sorry to hear your Betta died. It's a hard fish to lose; they have a lot of personality.

I have five tanks and bowls.
I have three Bettas--all male. In fact, I am pleased to say the girl who sold me all three of them said she was glad I was taking my 2 new males, as she knew I would give them a good home.

I have 2 acrylic 3g Eclipse all-inclusives that were very problematic when they were new. Until it aged, I had other Bettas die and I couldn't seem to help them. All-inclusive anti-bacterial/anti-fungals only killed off the GOOD brown stuff they need. And if you have fry in the tank, you also have to be extremely careful dosing, becuase they are highly sensitive to chemicals.

I only use HALF a dose of vitamins; and i don't use any meds until I absolutely HAVE TO--and even then, I use ONLY "ich" meds (or meds specific for the illness you have) with carbon removed from the filter for the few days' treatment (get a razor and cut it out--dry it and hang onto the element for next time), and RIGHT when you see spots (please be SURE it's "ich" and NOT just markings Bettas can have).

IN new tanks, esp. with fry in there; I would certainly do a water change every other DAY if you have to dose someone or use vitamins. Water changes are the BEST medication and cure you will ever know, and also the safest.

My chemical levels were fine when my fish died, and I have since figured out that changing the water especially[I][I] with new (less than 6 months old) tanks to be great in curing diseases, stopping sickness and so on...

my big 55 sat for 6 weeks with just plants and snails, and it helped the biofilter start, and no one really got sick or died nearly as bad as it was with the smaller earlier tanks.

I don't think you ever have to or should change all the water at once, unless there's some sort of catastrophic illness going on; and remember, whatever diseases you get likely came from normal water. So, like flour bugs, they were there the whole time.

When I got a tiny new filter for my one new Betta bowl; I asked for an aged filter pad (in a healthy tank of theirs) so i could cure the water faster. I also used aged water from my 55 gallon tank; with only the 20 percent being "new" water (of course, de-chlorinated, for those who are "new-new" to fish).

From everything I read from all my fish books (Axlrod, and so forth) you really NEVER should change all the water at once. This is a huge shock to the fish, as it's not easy to get Bettas happy with even slight water temp changes as it is.

if you get into the old habit of changing the water LESS often, by changing all of it (I assume it's filtered and so forth, not just a bowl) it causes a shock when all the Ph, nitrates, nitrites, and so on are completely different than a minute ago.

I myself, hardly the expert, am very careful to use water that's as close to the tank water temp as I can get. I pour it in very gradually, JIC.

i do my tanks about 2x a week, and I'm very careful about the 55g, as it's less than 6mos old--that one I'm SURE to do at least twice a week. i always take out NO MORE than 1/5 or 25% of the water.

NOW, if you want it clean (and bettas live in rice paddies, so they're not THAT particular--please note I didn't say it should be DIRTY), use a small gravel vacuum. Put the runoff into a bucket ONLY used for fishwater. Do not ever use this for bleach, soap, and so on, as plastic is porous.

Any gravel vac will suck out water very fast, so turn the filter off, and wait for the sediment and filth to settle. Now, scoop the clean stuff off the top to your 25% empty where the new water will go. Put in a little at a time, and come back in a few and put a little more in.

Make sure you have clean hands, and by that that you DON'T use anti-bacterial soap on them--the chemical is carcinogenic, and if you put your finger in your mouth, you'll taste the chemicals and perfumes. Regular dish soap is fine. With salt water, even nail polish can hurt the fish, so you use gloves. they sell them anywhere there's a pharmacy; surgical gloves.

make sure you wash off any perfumes, lotions, scar remedies, so on.

Clean fishtanks are not always the best thing. You only need to rinse biofilter elements in the tank water you're going to dump on your plants (they LOVE IT!) until you have to change them. Biowheels you NEVER change. That brown stuff is GOOD bacteria, and you need that to keep the fish healthy.

used tank gravel and good tank water from a big tank are INVALUABLE to new tanks.

if you didn't see any sign of disease, then it might have been shock from the super-clean water, or it may have been just old age. It's very hard to say.

Bettas live in rice paddys, and they never seem to like the bubble stone on for long, while guppies LOVE IT. They play in any bubbles they find; new water pouring in or anything like that. I only use mine to circulate water to see how good a job I did cleaning, and to give the filer a chance to grab what i missed. I turn off all my airstones at night.

With Bettas, I use this Atison's Betta SPA stuff that looks brown and comes in a measuring bottle. Chicago water is 8.0 Ph out of the tap, and that's about 15x too alkaline for Bettas, who'd like to hang out in 6.5 or so; which is more acidic with water being 7.0. It makes various substances that are bad for Betta sink to the bottom, and look sort of like fishie poop; or brown dust. It also makes the filter elements brownish black, but no, that won't hurt them at all. Just rinse out the excess when you do you water change, and put more in.

I'm sorry this was long, but I know it's hard to get much info about certain basic aspects of fishkeeping; and it makes me sad to see fish die or hurt becuase someone didn't know something that might help.

Kayla-Bug
09-21-2008, 05:09 AM
With Bettas, I use this Atison's Betta SPA stuff that looks brown and comes in a measuring bottle.You can actually make your own betta spa by using indian almond leaves. You boil them until you can't boil any more brown out of it, and then you put it into a bettas tank. I made some for my bettas and it seemed to help a little. You can buy leaves from people online at a cheap price, instead of buying a bottle of betta spa for $15.

And no need for treatments since the betta was just old and it was his time to go. They don't have a very long life span, so it seems his time was up.