PDA

View Full Version : pand1

panda1
01-05-2007, 10:45 PM
hi
every one sorry for writing this again as i think i put the last one in the wrongsubject i am just after so help and advice am i new fishkeeper.The fish i have are as follows
4 tiger barbs
2 green tiger barbs
2 red tail sharks
2 silver sharks approx 4"
2 angelfish approx 4" a pair i hope
2 guppys 1 of each
2 plecos 1 is about 5" and other 1"
1 platty

the problem is my tank is beginning to smell i have read books and i belive this may be a cause of me feeding them to much how much should i fed them.
And also how can i help the angel breed and how do they breed:11:

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Hello again. If you tank smells, the water is dirty. You never know if you have a pair of angels until they breed. If you are lucky enough to get angels that are pairs, it would be unusual unless they were purchased from a breeder and had already breed in the past. Generally a person needs to get about 6 and see who pairs off.

Angels must have pristine conditions, water at 80 and be feed a good variety of foods. When they are ready to breed, they should either be moved to another tank or the eggs removed from the existing tank and put in a breeding tank. Others in the tank will eat them. AND, angels get very dominate when breeding and will attack the others.

Angels are OK in a community tank only as long as necessary and should be in their own tank to really be happy and have the water conditions they need.

jeffs99dime
01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
welcome to a.c.--again

panda1
01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
how come my water is dirty as i only changed my water on monday night is the main cause of smell is feeding to much it is a fosstey smell

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Have you cleaned the gravel? Their may be rotting food causing the smell. Also, have your tanks cycled?

Slinky_Bass
01-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I think before we try to figure out why your tank water is smelling we need some more details about your tank setup.

Firstly, how long has this tank been going? If it's only been setup recently did you do a fishless cycle or a cycle with fish.
Do you know what your water parameters are (PH, Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes etc)?
How soon did you add all your fish.
What are your tank specs (Gal, type of filtration, filter media)?
How often do you change the water in the tank?

And last, but certainly not least, how are your fish looking? If they are in perfect health, eating and doing their thing then maybe the stinky water is just a sign that your carbon needs replacing (carbon helps remove odours and discolouration amongst other things) and you need to do another water change? Ideally, water changes should be done at least on a weekly basis (a minimum of 10%, I do 50% in two changes of 25%, but how much you change is a whole other debate and you should check out the threads about water changes before deciding what you want to do).

Like Hobbs correctly pointed out, a species like Angels like their water clean and fresh, especially if you want them to thrive and breed, so maybe you need to look at your tank maintenance routine and see if you're doing the best possible to get them into breeding condition.

What ever you decide to do I wish you the best with your fish, and post soon regarding those tanks stats, something may turn up that needs attention.