PDA

View Full Version : An update on d'Artagnan

tort518
09-17-2008, 08:36 PM
I finally have the fellow eating more than just live foods. He'll now eat a few bits of flake, and some betta pellets although he is still finicky about it.

He's doing wonderful in the community tank and is actually a bit too timid at times. He likes to hide in the corner behind the heater at times in an alomst verticle position and it is heck getting him out even at feeding time.

I still have to net him in a large net to provide a separate eating location for him. I'm hoping to train him to come out on his own and come to the front of the tank for food so I can stop having to chase him out of hiding.

At least some positives have happened.

Jim

Kayla-Bug
09-18-2008, 12:09 AM
That's good to hear. I do know from experience that male bettas can be kept in community tanks or with other fish. I had one of my males in with some mollies when we got back into fish and they were great together. The mollies weren't nippy like they usually are, and the betta was fine with them as long as they didn't mess with him, and that they did. They didn't mess with him at all. I have faith in your that your betta will get used to the new tank and eventually come out and not be scared. Keep us updated.

Gayle
09-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Congrats!!!!

angelcakes
09-18-2008, 07:34 AM
congrats..........:19: :19:

gm72
09-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Nice job and thanks for the update!

saurjusa
09-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Jim,

What else is in your tank?

I have my betta in with six neons and two corys. They are getting along great, neons aren't even schooling (which blows) but the people in the tetra forum are telling me that this is because they feel safe.

You can typically see each species to its own but there are times in which all of them peacefully join in the front of the tank. It looks awesom.

My betta didn't take betta pellets immediately either, I think they were to big, so I found this micropelets from AZOO in my LFS and he seemed to like them, to my surprise, the neons started eating them as well and stop eating the flakes, so now neons and betta eat the same: Betta Micro Pellets.

The corys take the wastes and I give them a pleco stick every other day.

Bettas in community tanks rock!:19:
saurjusa

tort518
09-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Jim,

What else is in your tank?

I have my betta in with six neons and two corys. They are getting along great, neons aren't even schooling (which blows) but the people in the tetra forum are telling me that this is because they feel safe.

You can typically see each species to its own but there are times in which all of them peacefully join in the front of the tank. It looks awesom.

My betta didn't take betta pellets immediately either, I think they were to big, so I found this micropelets from AZOO in my LFS and he seemed to like them, to my surprise, the neons started eating them as well and stop eating the flakes, so now neons and betta eat the same: Betta Micro Pellets.

The corys take the wastes and I give them a pleco stick every other day.

Bettas in community tanks rock!:19:
saurjusa

I have a mixed tank including the following:
Betta (1)
Guppies (gave a dozen away, now down to a dozen left)
Golden White Clouds (8)
Sidthimunki Loaches (6)
Otos (5)
Ghost Shrimp (approximately 9)
Pleco (1)
Various snails (which the loaches keep well in balance now)

I'll have to look up the Azoo.

The White Clouds were freely mixing with all the guppies and not schooling since the guppies got added, but once I reduced the number of guppies in half, the White Clouds have gone back to schooling.

Jim

saurjusa
09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Awesom, that is quite the tank! What size is it?

tort518
09-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Awesom, that is quite the tank! What size is it?

Thank you. It is a 30 gallon planted with plenty of live plants. The plants, especially the anacharis, are growing very well. In fact the anacharis is getting so long that some strands of it are reaching across the tank.

And d'Artagnan continues his shy boy routine. Yesterday was a fasting day so that is ok, but I plan to feed lightly tonight and then on the weekend it is live brine shrimp time. Hopefully he'll be ready to come after some food by then.

Kayla-Bug
09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I think he will eventually come around and start eating good for you. Has he eaten at all?

tort518
09-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I think he will eventually come around and start eating good for you. Has he eaten at all?

He'll eat, but only when netted so he doesn't have competition from the other tank inhabitants. He's now taking flake and pellet food somewhat.

He also remains in good health. Colors and fins look great, scales look strong and well defined, no malformations on the body.

I might still put him by himself in the five gallon at some point if he doesn't show a bit more willingness to come out at feeding time.

Jim

tort518
09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Success!

Finally, I have been able to get d'Artagnan to eat in the tank without being in the net.

Saturday morning I turned on the tank light and walked away for 15 minutes. When I came back guess who's mouth was the first one waiting at the top front of the tank for a handout? Yup, d'Artagnan. :c3:

I dropped a betta pellet in which he immediately ate and then I went and got live brine shrimp for the whole tank. I released a small netful close to where he was so he'd notice and the rest was history, he joined the hunt and got plenty to eat.

The final task for me will be getting him to come out for food consistently.

Jim

Gemstone
09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
I stick a finger in my community tank and wiggle it around...a sign for my bettas to come to me....where I feed them their food while I give the rest their flakes....they are conditioned to it...and it works extremely well...I do the same with my bettas who are in their own tanks too...wiggle a finger in the water and they come to it to get thier food...*S*...

Perserverence..pays off....:c3:

tort518
09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
I stick a finger in my community tank and wiggle it around...a sign for my bettas to come to me....where I feed them their food while I give the rest their flakes....they are conditioned to it...and it works extremely well...I do the same with my bettas who are in their own tanks too...wiggle a finger in the water and they come to it to get thier food...*S*...

Perserverence..pays off....:c3:

What's funny about this finger wiggling trick is that I was trying that with blood worms which are one of his favorite foods and he cowered away from my finger. I tried it with a white plastic spoon and he came right to it. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll see if I can get the same response tonight.

tort518
09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Interesting how quickly this fish learns things.

When I come home from work in the evening it only takes a minute or two before d'Artagnan notices my arrival and he comes to the front for food.

I can now feed without netting him. He'll eat along side the other fish and if he wants to insure he gets his fair share he places himself facing the corner of the tank at the surface so I can drop food in front of him and he can play goalie against the other fish.

I can drop it from fingers just above the water, but he still cowers if my fingers go in the water.

Makes me happy to know he'll no longer risk starving himself to death out of shyness and I no longer have to segregate him just to feed him.

Nice to see his personality coming out. He's proving to be quite adaptive to his situation and he remains very peaceful.

Jim

PS - Thanks to everyone here for your encouragement and input. These forums are excellent for learning and sharing.

Gayle
09-26-2008, 01:41 PM
I am glad you got it worked out!!!!!!!!! :)

tort518
10-01-2008, 02:05 PM
:19:

Finally got to hand feed d'Artagnan last night. Put betta pellets on the end of my finger and stuck it barely into the water and held very still. Once he realized it was his food he welcomed the effort and once even half jumped from the water to grab one before I had put my finger in. If the impact was even a hint of what he could do in a fight I'd feel sorry for any fish he would attack. Strong little fish!

Jim