PDA

View Full Version : Frozen algae cubes

treeppl
01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Bought some...
How do you actually go about feeding this stuff to the fish?
Are ya just supposed to toss it in and then let them battle it out for bites?

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I have honestly never heard of frozen algae cubes. I don't see the reason for them since algae grows naturally in the tank. Those that eat algae will feed off that. I use alge pellets for bottom feeders but the frozen cubes are a mystery to me.

Fishguy2727
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
I just toss in frozen foods, they will nibble at it. If you that it out it ends up being a nice messy nitrate producer.

Severus
01-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Yea, most people will recommend throwing it in frozen. ive thawed a few cubes of brine and it just makes a big mess

kimmers318
01-06-2007, 02:56 AM
I haven't seen frozen algae cubes but have seen types of seaweed looking stuff, but I believe that is for a certain type(s) of fish. Where did you buy it, is it possible to locate it on a website to share with us?

treeppl
01-06-2007, 04:42 AM
It's Ocean Nutrition, Formula Two - For Algae-Eating Fish.

It comes in one of those plastic packs with 35 individual ice-tray like sections with little food cubes in it.

I've tried thawing it, but it has that "gel binder to maximize fish nutrition", so it all just hangs together anyway. Seems like it would spread out a little more without that.

I remember way back when I would do that with frozen brine shrimp, or maybe it was tubifex worms. It seemed like thawing and putting it in some water worked way better. I remember the big, fat stomachs on my neons.

I guess I'll just toss a couple in there and see what happens, if nothing else, my pl@co will eat it.