PDA

View Full Version : putting filter in established tank first?

CLEDAN
09-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I am going to be setting up a 35 gal tank in the next week or so it is going to be planted if that makes a difference. i havent gone out and bought any of the filter heater or anything else for the tank yet. my question is, can i buy a filter for my tank now, slap it in a tank that my girlfriend's mom has across the hallway, let that run for a while, then when i am ready to get mine set up, move it over to my tank with a few zebra danios and start cycling? would that speed up the cycling? i am very much a newbie and dont want to mess my tank up.

Sniffles
09-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Thats the best way to do it.Just let it run on her tank 2 or 3 weeks and then put it on yours. It should be pretty much a instant cycle.Just add fish slowly, maybe 2 every few days.Make sure you have a test kit so you can keep a check on you water. (ammonia,nitrAte,etc:)

dphoenix
09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Speaking of test kits, I would suggest to use "Ammonia level alert" by Seachem.
I found this is very accurate test reader. It's relatively cheap only $7 bucks and last for 1 year. You can monitor your ammonia just by looking at it.

The API test kit is also good, but it just less practical to me. Other test kits for nitrite, nitrate, I recommend the API brand. I dont know if Seachem makes ones for nitrites and nitrate.

FordForever
09-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Speaking of test kits, I would suggest to use "Ammonia level alert" by Seachem.
I found this is very accurate test reader. It's relatively cheap only $7 bucks and last for 1 year. You can monitor your ammonia just by looking at it.

The API test kit is also good, but it just less practical to me. Other test kits for nitrite, nitrate, I recommend the API brand. I dont know if Seachem makes ones for nitrites and nitrate.

Really!? A whole year, that is fantastic...I will look into one of these things.