PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal

Bovice
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
For betta fish to change color? When I got mine it was solid blue/almost black. Now I'm noticing some white coloration on his belly and his fins are turning red. His fins also seem to be getting more jagged on the ends.
He still has a good appetite and seems active and happy, so I'm not to worried. I'm just curious. :)

rocaquarium
09-16-2008, 04:04 PM
For betta fish to change color? When I got mine it was solid blue/almost black. Now I'm noticing some white coloration on his belly and his fins are turning red. His fins also seem to be getting more jagged on the ends.
He still has a good appetite and seems active and happy, so I'm not to worried. I'm just curious. :)

Just a couple of questions...

How long have you had the betta?
How old is he?
What are the water conditions like?
What are you feeding him?

With that being asked, it is fairly normal for bettas to change colors, especially if you recently brought him home. Typically, bettas in the LFS are kept in cold, dirty water. When you get them home and (hopefully) put them in their warm, clean tank their true colors can come out. Sometimes the change will be quite drastic. This can happen within a few hours of getting him home, or can take a month or two.

Color changes are also common as the betta ages. When they reach full adulthood their colors tend to become most vibrant. When they get to the end of their life cycle they will become more drab.

The bettas diet can also effect his coloration. A good, varied diet with complete nutrition will give him his "healthy" colors. A poor diet will give him his "surviving, not thriving" colors.

Poor diet and water conditions will cause the betta to change to drabber colors because in his mind he's thinking it is hard times and drabber colors will help him blend in with his surroundings and avoid predators.

Just to be safe I would suggest testing your water to make sure nothing is wrong (particularly ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. If the water quality is good, he is still eating and acting normal I wouldn't worry too much.

Bovice
09-16-2008, 09:16 PM
How long have you had the betta?
How old is he?
What are the water conditions like?
What are you feeding him?

Well I've had him almost three months now, I'm not at all sure how old he is. He is a good 1 1/2" long as far as his body w/o fins. He lives in a two gallon bowl on my desk in my room. The room stays a good 65 degrees but I have a small 20W desk lamp shining on the bowl. I clean the bowl and change the water every week and replace half the water in between cleanings.

as far as food I feed him "Aqua culture" betta pellet food. Normally two times a day with 2 to 3 pellets. He chomps it down and I hardly have to clean out uneaten food.

Holyvision
09-16-2008, 09:18 PM
As bettas age, they mature into their actual colors and fins. This is pretty normal, and makes them ever nicer to look at!

Kayla-Bug
09-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes this is normal. Like someone else said, they are kept in nasty water at the pet stores and when you bring them home and make them happy, it makes them want to look nice and they start showing their true colors off. It's kinda like showing you he's well taken care of, and that's always good! So no worried here.