PDA

View Full Version : filter floss

Incredulous_Ed
01-05-2007, 06:44 PM
After reading a thread here, I decided not to use carbo in my HOB power filter. I got the filter at wal mart and you buy the cartridgesthat have this rough wool and carbon inside the wool. I took out that cartridge and put this cottony stuff that is used for filters.
Is this okay to do?
Any Tips?

Cichlid_Man
01-05-2007, 07:18 PM
After reading a thread here, I decided not to use carbo in my HOB power filter. I got the filter at wal mart and you buy the cartridgesthat have this rough wool and carbon inside the wool. I took out that cartridge and put this cottony stuff that is used for filters.
Is this okay to do?
Any Tips?

It's absolutely fine to do. I just did the same thing with a filter I recently added to my 75 gallon. It is a WalMart Aqua-Tech and I cannot get parts for it, so I rigged up some filter floss and it is fine. My tank has that extra sparlke to it. No Carbon

Incredulous_Ed
01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
thanks cichlid man, I am just a bit concerned because the water isn't very clear.

jeffs99dime
01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
scrap the carbon. you don't need it. it will take out essential minerals vital for fish to thrive. only use carbon when removing meds from the tank once complete with dosing diseases

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2007, 08:00 PM
The water should clear up in a bit. You probably just stirred up some of the algae inside the filter box. Do you ever clean it out? I do about every other month and also the uplift tubes. Gets rather nasty in there and gets smelly too.

jeffs99dime
01-05-2007, 08:27 PM
hobbs!?? how is the cotton batting holding up in your filters? i'm just wondering. i remember you said that you use it. i was also thinking of using it in my h.o.b. thanks--jeff:19: