PDA

View Full Version : Hi...from Canada

kyriele
01-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone:

Just joined today while researching for my 29 gallon tank (inherited in December). I'm getting tons of info on fish and cycling and algae and ick, etc :) I am totally brand new to fish but currently am raising 3 teenagers, a set of 6 yr old identical twin boys, an English mastiff, an American bulldog and 2 Persian cats...along with an American husband :)

Before I put the first grain in the tank or the first drop of water though, I've come to the conclusion that this will either be a HUGE failed experiment, or the house will be overrun with tanks! No moderation with this hobby, methinks! I've already determined (regardless of what the LFS says!) that the fish I truly want to home, need a MUCH bigger home.

I've also checked Tim's Tropicals and Elmer's Aquarium for compatible fishmates, etc as well as parrotcichlid.com and other sites. Everyone has a differing opinion however and I'm getting more confused with each one.

I've been scouring all the stocking info on every 29 new gallon set up I see, and none have really caught my fancy. I'm still looking for the perfect blend of a showpiece cichlid, some schooling "dither" fish, and a bottom dweller of some kind. My preference were a pair of Blood Parrots, a Flowerhorn or an Oscar as the centerpiece. Sigh. How much do you want to be we end up with a school of zebras, corys and an angelfish. Haha!

I'll keep perusing. You keep posting :)

jeffs99dime
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi Everyone:

Just joined today while researching for my 29 gallon tank (inherited in December). I'm getting tons of info on fish and cycling and algae and ick, etc :) I am totally brand new to fish but currently am raising 3 teenagers, a set of 6 yr old identical twin boys, an English mastiff, an American bulldog and 2 Persian cats...along with an American husband :)

Before I put the first grain in the tank or the first drop of water though, I've come to the conclusion that this will either be a HUGE failed experiment, or the house will be overrun with tanks! No moderation with this hobby, methinks! I've already determined (regardless of what the LFS says!) that the fish I truly want to home, need a MUCH bigger home.

I've also checked Tim's Tropicals and Elmer's Aquarium for compatible fishmates, etc as well as parrotcichlid.com and other sites. Everyone has a differing opinion however and I'm getting more confused with each one.

I've been scouring all the stocking info on every 29 new gallon set up I see, and none have really caught my fancy. I'm still looking for the perfect blend of a showpiece cichlid, some schooling "dither" fish, and a bottom dweller of some kind. My preference were a pair of Blood Parrots, a Flowerhorn or an Oscar as the centerpiece. Sigh. How much do you want to be we end up with a school of zebras, corys and an angelfish. Haha!

welcome to a.c.- if you're going to be keeping those monsters, you are going to need a monster tank to go with them- you're right about that!

Abbeys_Mom
01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the forum eh :)

AquaQueen
01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Everyone:

kyriele,

Hello and welcome to AC. Loved the bit you added about your family mostly the "American Husband" part...too funny. It truely is a task tho...LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

Cichlid_Man
01-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Welcome to AC.

You'll do fine with your fish setup(s).

Just keep researching and asking questions here and you will be OK.

Those web sites you mentioned are good. Tim's Tropicals is the best in my opinion, but there is nothing like asking people here who actually have certain fish and know their compatibility.

Severus
01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome to AC. Glad to hear you are learning as much as you can before you start

kyriele
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I think it's time I searched out some parrot owners and see what they have to say about one itty bitty parrot, a few zebra danios for ditherin' about and some bottom feeder (my ex-husband has already declined J/K!!!!) for algae and any food bits that escape the higher ups :)

jman
01-13-2007, 02:14 AM
welcome to the forum!

crackatinny
01-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Welcome to AC

Nautilus291
01-13-2007, 08:36 AM
welcome to the forum

Lady Hobbs
01-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Welcome to AC Community Forums. Hope you enjoy it here as much as the rest of us members do. Lots of great folks here to help with your questions.