PDA

View Full Version : Figure Eight Puffers

KneeKickLou
01-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Hello all,

I am starting up a new tank and I have been researching what kind of fish I want to put in it and I think I have decided on Figure Eight Puffers. It’s going to be a species only tank so I’m not worried about what other fish to put with it. I have read conflicting reports about fresh or brackish water but I keep a little salt in my other tanks to keep infection away so I plan on doing the same thing here. My biggest question I guess is the substrate. I see a couple places that say sand then I see some others that say anything will work. I’m cycling the tank right now and I have gravel in it but if I have to change to sand for these little guys Id like to do it before I got them as opposed to while I have them and stress them out. If anyone has any experience with Fig 8's any help or information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Now back to more research.....

Cichlid_Man
01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Hello,
I did keep Figure 8's with great success.
They are brackish for certain, even though they are sometimes caught in fresh water. Just a little salt will not cut it.
They need to be in a specific gravity between 1.005 ans 1.008.
As far as substrate, very fine gravel, preferably sand, is what is best for them.
Temp should be about 80. Anywhere between 75 and 82 is good.
Bloodworm, brine shrimp, mussels, cockles and snails are what they eat.( Live and frozen).
They are awesome fish

KneeKickLou
01-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks so much for the information ill start looking around for the sand today. Also this might be a stupid question but is there a difference between marine salt and the aquarium salt for freshwater tanks and what will I have to use.

Cichlid_Man
01-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes there is a difference, and glad you asked.

I prefer Instant Ocean Marine Salt but most brands should work. AVOID Freshwater Aquarium Salt as this is not the proper salt to use in brackish or marine tanks (although it is fine in full freshwater tanks to fight off parasites).

jeffs99dime
01-05-2007, 08:01 PM
figure eight's are cool!

KneeKickLou
01-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Hey Ciclid Man i went to the LFS today to look for some sand and I wasnt sure what to get. They had a really fine white sand or crushed coral reef sand would either of these be a good choice or something else entirely Id like to get the sand in ASAP so I can get it going. Thanks again for all the advance for all your help.

Cichlid_Man
01-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Hey Ciclid Man i went to the LFS today to look for some sand and I wasnt sure what to get. They had a really fine white sand or crushed coral reef sand would either of these be a good choice or something else entirely Id like to get the sand in ASAP so I can get it going. Thanks again for all the advance for all your help.

I would go with the crushed coral reef sand because it can naturally keep your PH at about 8.0 so you don't have to add any buffers, Hopefully.. :-)
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner..

I actually had a mix of both...you may consider that, but more of the coral reef.